PDA

View Full Version : Music While Playing

TruFloridaGator
03-31-2005, 06:03 PM
How many listen to music while they play? What kind? I've been wearing headphones to help me concentrate more on the SNG & kind of block everything out around me(I'm in a dorm room). I think it's helped quite a bit. I'm thinking of coming up with a theme song to play to help relax me after I take a horrid beat. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Bigwig
03-31-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How many listen to music while they play? What kind? I've been wearing headphones to help me concentrate more on the SNG & kind of block everything out around me(I'm in a dorm room). I think it's helped quite a bit. I'm thinking of coming up with a theme song to play to help relax me after I take a horrid beat. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch television.

I also smoke and drink.

TruFloridaGator
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
TV seems to disturb my play. However drinking definately helps. My only 3 SNG win streak(180 played) came after being pretty drunk. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The Yugoslavian
03-31-2005, 06:08 PM
Any music one enjoys listening to will help in the case of playing poker for extended periods of time.

I listen to plenty of different kinds of music. However, when I'm really in a groove it's usually listening to trance/electronic mixes.

I don't have any 'go to' songs. Although, if I've been shaken up and really need to bring out my secret weapon I'll often fall back on Dan Bern's 'Tiger Woods' - that always helps, /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Yugoslav

pokerlaw
03-31-2005, 06:31 PM
I almost exclusively listen while I play. I also listen to music when I study, so I am used to having it in the background. I'll listen to whatever, and if I win, I sometimes listen to the same album/stretch of songs again...maybe it soothes the poker gods /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jman28
03-31-2005, 06:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Any music one enjoys listening to will help in the case of playing poker for extended periods of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the concensus was against listening to music.

If you mean only that it eases the boredom of a long session, I agree. However, I think it lowers the level of concentration, and in turn, level of play.

-Jman28

raptor517
03-31-2005, 06:36 PM
bah, i always listen to music when i play. if i dont have some tunes bumpin in the backround, well, hmm. yea, lost thought, but i rather have music to listen to while playing. my play isnt affected by it negatively, so why not? its like saying you shouldnt drive and listen to music because it throws off your concentration. what is that anyway? holla

TheUsher
03-31-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought the concensus was against listening to music.

If you mean only that it eases the boredom of a long session, I agree. However, I think it lowers the level of concentration, and in turn, level of play.

-Jman28

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the opposite for me since I like listening to the ipod now whenever I'm trying to crank out a bunch of SNG's. Level of play seems the same and it helps lessen the tilting from all the crap you'll see.

Jman28
03-31-2005, 06:45 PM
I agree that it lessens tilt. But I can't agree that it doesn't hurt you level of concentration, unless maybe it's classical, which mine isn't.

-Jman28

ZebraAss
03-31-2005, 06:46 PM
...or Bob Marley.

Barcalounger
03-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Screw the consensus. There's no way I could handle sitting in front of my computer for any extended period and not crank up winamp.

Lately it's been Johnny Cash, Guns and Roses, and Handsome Boy Modeling School; but that unholy menegerie obviously has been angering the poker gods. Yugo, you got any trance/techno recommendations?

lorinda
03-31-2005, 06:56 PM
I hate music.

I hate it even more when I'm trying to actually do something that involves the slightest bit of thought as I find it invasive.

Lori

Bigwig
03-31-2005, 06:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like colors?

TheUsher
03-31-2005, 07:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like colors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Big you playing right now? Something's telling me I want to sit with you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Bigwig
03-31-2005, 07:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hate music.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you like colors?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Big you playing right now? Something's telling me I want to sit with you. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not right now. I haven't played in over a week due to the golf trip. So I'm excited for tonight. However, I need some food first, so I don't pass out. Watch for me on the Party $50's tonight. I'll be the one with the chips. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Degen
03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
i like hard house during the bubble period as it pumps me up for all of my pushing.

though during the early rounds i zone out to alternative music or hiphop. though in this time the four tables are just one of the many things i'm doing...AIM, cooking, work, email, reading, posting, on the phone etc.

Degen

TheUsher
03-31-2005, 07:12 PM
I'm going to try and crank out 40-50 today if I could 4tabling so feel free to sit with me if you like money. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I only play aces as you might know and I'm not even winning with those so I'm no threat to you.

(as I type this after I was joking above a guy calls a 7xBB PF raise and cracks my aces with 88)

LeVoodoo
03-31-2005, 07:20 PM
Dragosta Din Tei by Ozone is good for your game. I was listening to this song while putting on one of the greatest tourney performances of my poker career. I decided to put it on loop in my next tourney and won again. A lengthy ITM streak followed.

(If you don't recognize the song title, it's the foreign one that goes 'Nu-mã, nu-ma iei, nu-mã, nu-mã, nu-mã iei' over and over again)

valenzuela
03-31-2005, 07:21 PM
lol, I listen to The Beatles sometimes but my favourite group is Oasis. Nothin like winning a sng to the tune of defenetly maybe.

Bigwig
03-31-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm going to try and crank out 40-50 today if I could 4tabling so feel free to sit with me if you like money. /images/graemlins/grin.gif I only play aces as you might know and I'm not even winning with those so I'm no threat to you.

(as I type this after I was joking above a guy calls a 7xBB PF raise and cracks my aces with 88)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch.

What's your name on Party again?

BTW, I may be getting some music tonight. Some band is practicing outside and I can hear it through my window. I won't have much of a choice.

Chaos81
03-31-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I listen to plenty of different kinds of music. However, when I'm really in a groove it's usually listening to trance/electronic mixes.

[/ QUOTE ]
Same here. I've tried listening to other kinds of music, but I don't seem to get into a groove with them.

yoadrians
03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
Snoop Dog. Dre. Any kind of smooth rap to keep me bouncin' in the chair. Have two great mixes for MTTs - if I do well, I go through them a few times over /images/graemlins/smile.gif

pooh74
03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
"Eye of the Tiger" by Survivor...and I also have a pic of Mr. T pinned up on my monitor that I rip off of it and crumble in my hand when I win a big pot...

ilya
03-31-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate music.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are weird.

Degen
03-31-2005, 08:36 PM
LOL

The Yugoslavian
03-31-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate music.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Stupid chick....

Yugoslav
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

willie
03-31-2005, 08:45 PM
i listen to music ALL the time

postal service, shins, notorious big, nas, bob marley, dmb, my morning jacket, loveless, sigur ros

lots and lots of music.

ps i think that "gimme the loot" has helped to contribute to my excessive amounts of 4/5ths due to overaggression on the bubble......but i am unsure.

The Yugoslavian
03-31-2005, 08:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

ps i think that "gimme the loot" has helped to contribute to my excessive amounts of 4/5ths due to overaggression on the bubble......but i am unsure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Possibly.....I've certainly fallen prety to this....also with 'Warning' and several Lil' Jon and/or Ludacris songs....YMMV.

Yugoslav

willie
03-31-2005, 08:51 PM
it's so subconscious as well

"mf'n right, my pockets looking kinda tight"

wow, i am indeed shortstacked, i only have 5 bets left

"and i'm stressed, yo biggie let me get the vest."

j9 sooted on the button, they'll never see through this push

"I been robbin mfers since the slaaave ship"

here i come gimme that blind

----Results-----

BB woke up with aces, poor timing /images/graemlins/grin.gif

lorinda
03-31-2005, 08:54 PM
You are weird.

I can't hear the voices if music is playing and they shout at me to turn it off.

Lori

The Yugoslavian
03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
'I love your f*ckin' attitude....because the n*gga play pussy [shorthanded in big blinds] dats tha n*gga who's gettin' screwed....'

Ahhhh, yes....I can see you have a deeper understanding of Biggie Smalls than your average willie....

I always am thinkin' 'that m'fer's sure to die' and then I get sucked out on.....boooooooooo!

Yugoslav

jayboo
03-31-2005, 09:07 PM
i like the greatful dead free internet radio.Or counting crows live in N.Y. Ive tried other tunes but i cant play if its not real mellow ?? don't know why but thats just me. Jay

bix
03-31-2005, 09:51 PM
I have been listening to tool quit a bit lately, but it varies. I always have something playing almost never rap though /images/graemlins/grin.gif

raptor517
03-31-2005, 09:58 PM
never rap? wtf is wrong with rap? biatch

spentrent
03-31-2005, 10:04 PM
I have all my CDs ripped to MP3 on my computer so I can listen to everything I have... ranges from Air (nice chill morning music), Beck, Belle & Sebastian, to BT, dub, drum and bass... whatever... just SOMETHING, anything. Drum and bass definitely for late-night prime action if I'm sleepy and need something to keep me up.

I feel like I CAN'T think without some music playing. I get bored, sleepy, and unable to concentrate in total silence or hearing the bling-bling-blip-shick sounds pound away.

bix
03-31-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
never rap? wtf is wrong with rap? biatch

[/ QUOTE ]
I really don't like most new rap. I prefer older snoop, dre, etc... I still like eminem's new stuff, but most other new stuff isn't that great.

raptor517
03-31-2005, 10:13 PM
mm, yea i hear ya, i prefer the older stuff too, lots of the new stuff is pure crap. 2pac is the nuts. and eminems is still puttin out SOME good stuff, i agree with that. holla

RicP
03-31-2005, 10:18 PM
Coast To Coast is the only thing to listen too.

spentrent
03-31-2005, 10:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Art Bell? The 3:00 AM pizza driver's BEST friend.

Barcalounger
04-01-2005, 01:13 AM
LOL! Delivering a pepporoni and mushroom to the shadow people?

RicP
04-01-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Art Bell? The 3:00 AM pizza driver's BEST friend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Art Bell and George Noory.... Facinating

The Yugoslavian
04-01-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
2pac is the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thread over.

Yugoslav
holla!

Wu36
04-01-2005, 04:20 AM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000UX58E.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
http://www.artofrhyme.com/images/shamako.jpg
That is all.

GtrHtr
04-01-2005, 01:28 PM
I replay Kenny Rogers, The Gambler over and over and over.

spentrent
04-01-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I replay Kenny Rogers, The Gambler over and over and over.

[/ QUOTE ]

jrizza?

Voltron87
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
I don't just listen to music, I sing along.