PDA

View Full Version : Quick 7 ball question

TMFS9
03-31-2005, 05:52 PM
In 7 ball you get one safety per rack, if you call a safety and yet make a ball is it still your turn?

asofel
03-31-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In 7 ball you get one safety per rack, if you call a safety and yet make a ball is it still your turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

HDPM
03-31-2005, 06:07 PM
Sorry, 3 questions. Isn't this ESPN only rules? Does anybody play 7-ball? If so, does anybody play ESPN rules except on the phony ESPN 7 ball challenge?

mostsmooth
03-31-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]
ive never played 7ball, but im gonna say the answer is no

youtalkfunny
03-31-2005, 11:53 PM
In any pool game I've ever played, pocketed balls on a called safety get re-spotted, and the shooter's turn is over.

MHarris
03-31-2005, 11:58 PM
In ESPN's rules, yes.

In rotation games (9-ball, 10-ball, 7-ball), it's generally understood that the shooter remains at the table until he fails to pocket a ball or fouls, unless previously stipulated. Also, placing a limitation on safeties and forcing players to announce the intention of playing safe is ESPN only, done primnarily for TV purposes.

mostsmooth
04-01-2005, 11:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
In any pool game I've ever played, pocketed balls on a called safety get re-spotted, and the shooter's turn is over.

[/ QUOTE ]
i agree with this
somebody is going to have to post espns rules to make me believe thats the way they play. its counterintuitive for a player to be able to call a safety, then take a free shot at making a ball, no?

asofel
04-01-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yes

[/ QUOTE ]
ive never played 7ball, but im gonna say the answer is no

[/ QUOTE ]

i've played. the answer's yes. in bca and other types of games a safety is relinquishing your turn, like a 'safe-and-in'. In 7 ball a safety is more of a save-your-ass type call. If you miss you give up a ball in hand, so the one safety per rack is there to help you just in case you're really screwed.

As far as ESPN vs BCA etc checkout this thread: link (http://www.billiardresource.com/forum/about21.html)

mostsmooth
04-01-2005, 11:59 AM
where does that non-official espn/bca rules post say that if you make a ball after calling safety, do you get to shoot again?

Phat Mack
04-01-2005, 01:35 PM
First let me confess that, having wasted more time in pool halls than I'd care to admit, I've never seen a 7-ball game.

Generally speaking, the only times that you have to call safeties are in call-shot games such as 14.1. If you call a safety in those circumstances, a ball and pocket haven't been nominated, so a pocketed ball wouldn't count and would be re-spotted.

Rotation games (such as 7-ball) aren't normally played as call-shot games. Sometimes safeties are announced in these games, however, when the safety will be difficult to see. This is usually done to allow the shot to be watched more closely, in an attempt to forestall arguments about its success. If a ball were legally pocketed after a safety was announced for this reason, normally it would count and the player would stay at the table.

Rotation games can be played call-shot. When they are played so, non-nominated balls normally don't count.

There are several games where the players aren't supposed to make deliberate safties: 3C and ring-game 10-ball come to mind. When American 3C players outlawed diliberate safeties 20 or 30 years ago, the better players learned to shoot deliberate safeties that didn't look like deliberate safeties, and the safeties never stopped. (Read McGoorty for an interesting account of how he practiced deliberate miscues.) I've seen top players same pull the same moves in 10-ball. For this reason, I've always been skeptical of rules pretending to outlaw or limit safeties.

Finally, to answer your question, pool rules are whatever the players agree them to be. They change constantly, and vary from locale to locale. Even rooms across the street from one another will have different rules. 8-ball is the most notorious example of this. Whenever matching up, discuss what the rules are before playing. Don't accept "Oh, BCA rules" as an answer. Always agree on what constitutes a legal shot, what constitues a foul, what the penalties for fouls are, what's a legal break, etc. Also agree how the money is going to be paid: after ever game? who holds the stakes? etc.

JMO

knifeandfork
04-01-2005, 02:28 PM
trust everyone and cut the cards. pay after each game/set if at all possible. play games/rules that lead to less arguments like APA 8ball, 9 ball etc calling rails, combinations etc slows the gmae down and leads to disputes. a ball was cleanly contacted, it or another ball hit a rail and went in a pocket pretty simple. jmho
jason
ps i think the ball is spotted unlessit is the object ball in 7, but that is just a guess

asofel
04-01-2005, 02:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
where does that non-official espn/bca rules post say that if you make a ball after calling safety, do you get to shoot again?

[/ QUOTE ]

third post down:

"Thanks. These rules I know. I know each player gets one safe per game and if he pockets the ball he continues shooting."

Overall it really does just depend on what you agree to play . For the ESPN games I've seen, and games i've played with friends, you often call safety on an easy 6 ball shot just in case you miss...

HDPM
04-01-2005, 02:48 PM
Calling "rails"????? I know there are people out there who think you have to do this, but please try to shield me from their lunacy. Of course banks is the only game where "slop" doesn't count. Ball and pocket only in call shot games.