PDA

View Full Version : Citanul's odd hand: a tangent

pooh74
03-31-2005, 02:10 PM
Simple poll w/o the poll:

I am guilty of this and it is most likely a leak but I am so compelled I do it anyway.

I will often come into a pot pf with a PP in a situations where I suspect it is highly borderline and -ev simply bc i cant stand folding pf only to see my set card appear. Its damn hard to admit to you guys, but there, I said it...my name is pooh, and Im a set addict too.

citanul
03-31-2005, 02:13 PM
yes! join the club!

personally another thing that weighed in my decision on that hand was that i don't really have much of a difference in my mind between 1200 chips and 1100 chips at that point in the tournament.

citanul

Seadood228
03-31-2005, 02:16 PM
and you shouldn't IMO.

I think that there are too many players who overvalue sets in unraised multiway pots, but undervalue them in raised pots.

EverettKings
03-31-2005, 02:19 PM
Try to think about the times that you flop your set and either
A) Get no action (I hate when a simple flop bet takes it), or
B) Still lose (outdrawn, etc.)

I know it hurts to see that set card hit after a fold, but you don't get a clean and easy double up as often as you feel like you do.

You could just not look at the flop too /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Kings

Seadood228
03-31-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Try to think about the times that you flop your set and either
A) Get no action (I hate when a simple flop bet takes it), or
B) Still lose (outdrawn, etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO, these two scenarios are prevalent in unraised pots, but are far less common when the pot has been raised.

1225 vs. 1100.. That's all I can think of right now..

rickr
03-31-2005, 02:57 PM
I would rather play my sets to a medium size raise preflop. I don't want to be the aggressor, especially out of position; makes it harder to get away from. Yes your pot odds go down, but your implied odds go way up.

Later,
Rick

johnnybeef
03-31-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1225 vs. 1100.. That's all I can think of right now..

[/ QUOTE ]

1225-1100 = 125 * 8.5 (8.5:1 against for hitting a set) = 1062.5. you would need to win 1062.5 for this to be break even. which is precisely why you should not cold call a raise with a mid pp. when you add in the times that your set ggets outdrawn on this is a marginal situation at best. the same marginal situation you are looking to avoid in the earlier levels.

Seadood228
03-31-2005, 03:58 PM
Actually I figured it'd be more like 1300 to break even given the possibility of being beaten with a set.

Call me an optimist, but I think that winning 1300 will not be difficult in a 3+ way raised pot that is 450 before the flop.

I see your points though, which is why I don't think folding is bad. I still wouldn't do it, though.. Call me crazy, but you are going to have to accumulate chips sometime during the tourney, and these situations can't always be immediate +EV situations.