PDA

View Full Version : how to adjust to weird tournament rules? (cross post)

k_squared
03-31-2005, 01:33 PM
not to list all the rules, but the ones that are the most unusual... (cross posted in poker theory section)

(1) you may raise in increments lower than the blinds, but the big blind must be met pre-flop.

and this is my favorite adjustment to a typical tournament structure!!!

(2) "To keep the game social and discourage overly-aggressive game play, each individual player may only raise once per betting round (pre-flop, flop, turn, river) - this means that a player cannot check-raise or re-raise after s/he has already checked or raised once in a single betting round." (I am also aware of the fact that saying you can raise only once does not directly imply that you can't check-raise, even though the original writer seems to believe it does).

As far as I am concerned this effectively takes the fun out of tournament play... it becomes a lot more like a game of war then I am accustomed to. You lose a lot of the tools of an effective player. But regardless, my wife wants to play in a live game, and has friend... and so we are going.

How would you adjust your strategy to these rules? (aside from trying to convince the guy to change the rules!)

It seems to me that position becomes even more important because the last person to act is also the last person who can raise. You can never be 'trapped' by your opponenets.

spentrent
03-31-2005, 02:02 PM
(1) Get really drunk.

(2) Say "Pot odds, SCHMOT ODDS!" every time you call a bet.

(3) Play red/black with someone across the table.

(4) Get really drunk.

(5) Play QKA23 as a straight and argue until the pot is chopped.

Bigwig
03-31-2005, 02:25 PM
I'd tell her to have fun and fire up four Party tables.

Slim Pickens
03-31-2005, 02:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As far as I am concerned this effectively takes the fun out of tournament play

[/ QUOTE ]
Put the fun back in! Raise every hand in the dark until someone asks what the hell you are doing. Then fold the next three hands in the dark. If it's a limit game, try going all-in on the next hand and argue until they let you. Seriously, those rules suck but it sounds like a chance for a little good-natured poker fun.

Slim