PDA

View Full Version : Winning Play

Scorpius
03-31-2005, 12:11 PM
I am fairly new to Omaha/8 and would appreciate some suggestions on a good strategy that produces consistent positive results. Some of the material I've read on the subject seems to indicate that if you play only AAxx, KKxx, QQxx, AA23, AA24, AA34, and some 23xx hands, you will be a winner in the long run if you fold when you don't make the nut hand or second best hand after the turn card, and that you will have to fold a lot more than in HE games. I have tried this approach a few times and found that even these hands will lose at times and hands normally considered unplayable (according to the books) end up winning at times. Can anyone offer comments on this? Thanks.

gergery
03-31-2005, 12:36 PM
Read "Winning Omaha/8" by Tenner and Krieger.

based on your post this is the best book for you.

--Greg

Scorpius
03-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the recommendation. I am currently reading Cappelletti's book. Is the book you recommend that much different, is it better? Also, does it really help to win more if you know the odds of making certain hands based upon what is on the board and what you have in your hand, etc? If so, how can a newbie like me learn all these odds...like the odds of making a straight, flush, full house, etc. based upon starting cards and what is flopped, etc.?

vulturesrow
03-31-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the recommendation. I am currently reading Cappelletti's book. Is the book you recommend that much different, is it better? Also, does it really help to win more if you know the odds of making certain hands based upon what is on the board and what you have in your hand, etc? If so, how can a newbie like me learn all these odds...like the odds of making a straight, flush, full house, etc. based upon starting cards and what is flopped, etc.?

[/ QUOTE ]

I dont want to be rude, but it sounds to me as if you might want to read a less game specific book and one that is more general poker to cover all these concepts. Unfortunately I dont have a good recommendation, as I jumped right into hold'em with Winning Low Limit Hold'em.

But in answer to your question, it is absolutely critical that you know all these odds and get them down pat.

dcasper70
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
When I first started O8, I followed the Hutchison system pretty religiously, it's a good way to get your legs under you. It's not much help post flop, but it keeps you away from a lot of the silly hands that bleed money (which is what you want to avoid as a newbie). Yeah, you know you'll lose for a while as you get your experience, just not as much...
Pretty soon you'll pick up how to deviate from the system and put your own personal spin on it, but for the beginner it certainly helps in figuring out the +EV hands.

www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html (http://www.homestead.com/ehutchison/OmahaSystem.html)

He's got similar systems for other games as well.
Good luck.