PDA

View Full Version : Minimum hand to defend your BB against a Pro...

renodoc
03-31-2005, 11:47 AM
Just for giggles, WPT event, 3 table left, say you are in the BB and a big name pro, say, Phil Ivey, makes a steal-raise from the button and has done so repeatedly. He has you out-chipped 3-1.

Minimum hand to defend with?

Stop and Go, or over-the-top PF?

Steve

Temp Hutter
03-31-2005, 12:18 PM
It depends on your image. I would be very careful against a big stack no matter who it is. If you let him steal a few times then it becomes safer to play back at him (raise) with a less than premium hand. He should respect the fact that you have folded more than once and that you must have something this time and he might let you have it if he was just 'stealing' with nothing.

Nice job making it this far. Now go close the deal.

Burno
03-31-2005, 12:21 PM
97s and up

Seriously, it depends on lots of other things like blind size, stack sizes, payout structure, who the third guys is, your image, etc. Provide more info.

augie00
03-31-2005, 12:45 PM
When I was in Copenhagen I was at Noah Boeken's table for quite a while. I defended with almost anything...one hand I took down the pot with 23s. But I guess that was even-chipped and early in the tournament.

Toro
03-31-2005, 12:48 PM
Me 37000 chips
Men the Master 120,000 chips
Blinds 1000/2000

Final table 4 handed. Men raises my blind to 6000 and I look at only one card but in a way that he can't tell I'm only looking at one card and it's a King. I pushed. He insta called the 31000 raise.

He turned over 89s. WTF, I'm thinking, you call 31K with 9 high. I turn my cards and holy shiit, I've got KK. Flop: 267. Damn. Turn: Ten and to add insult to injury a King came on the river.

But to answer your question while sneaking in my bad beat. King high.

Prime Time
03-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Wow.
Glad you wrote about it.
That was tuff.

You could also right your good beat like when you pushed w/ 89 and won when you were short stacked, and the very next hand w/ JJ you push again and get dialed up by 66 cause all think you are full of it, and that propelled you to final table.

You thought I forgot these details hugh?

Cya 2morrow.

Toro
03-31-2005, 03:44 PM
78, I pushed with 78. Lets get the facts straight. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MLG
03-31-2005, 03:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I look at only one card but in a way that he can't tell I'm only looking at one card and it's a King. I pushed

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky wanna be /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

Vince Lepore
03-31-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
He has you out-chipped 3-1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough information to give a definitive answer. Need to know your Stack Size, blinds, size of the raise and your personal goals (are you looking to move up the ladder or win it all).

Vince

Daliman
03-31-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I look at only one card but in a way that he can't tell I'm only looking at one card and it's a King. I pushed

[/ QUOTE ]

Sklansky wanna be /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[/ QUOTE ]
I have never understood this thinking. I understanding pushing just based on the value of one card, but the whole" I looked, but not so he could tell I was only looking at one card" camp seem like alot of silliness to me.

frank_iii
04-01-2005, 12:32 PM
Toro, you call me you bust out baby.

Toro
04-01-2005, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Toro, you call me you bust out baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, thanks for the tip. I won't push with king high against you. Btw, who are you? Sound a little like Scotty Ngyuen.

frank_iii
04-01-2005, 01:30 PM
I'm nobody. But, like Scotty Nguyen, Men has said that before, I think to Ted Forrest. I'm pretty sure it was a joke.

I personally like the Noli (last name? Filipino guy) WPT line "you raise me, I call you" or something along that line. More appropriate here.

Belated congratulations on the finish, though. That's awesome.

CrazyN8
04-01-2005, 08:17 PM
it depends /images/graemlins/grin.gif

probably a high suited gapper and up (79suited or better - wasn't that said already) pending a good table image.

If you are going to push after looking at one card, why look at any? /images/graemlins/grin.gif