PDA

View Full Version : The 3xBB Rule - with Bigger stacks?

Cleveland Guy
03-31-2005, 11:01 AM
I know most people on here play at party, where for the most part you start with 800 chips. I believe the BB is 15 so a 3xbb raise is to 45.

45/800 = 5.6% of your starting stack

If you've lost a small hand or what not, then and your at say 700 now the 3xbb raise is

45/700 = 6.4% of your stack.

Should I be making any adjustments if I play on a site like pokerroom, where the BB is slightly bigger, but you have a lot more starting chips.

a 3xBB raise on pokerrom with starting 1500 and a T20BB is

60/1500 = 4 % of your stack.

Both because of the smaller percentage, and deeper stacks people are more willing to play medicore/rag hands against your raises.

Even at level 2 - with a BB of T30, if I am still near my stating chips

90/1450 = 6.2% of my stack. I'm not sure what the 2nd Level BB is at party, but if it's 20 - then

60/750 = 8% of your stack.

I have recently been toying with going 1 extra BB on these lower level pokerroom tourney.

From a percentage point I think this puts me more in line with PP.

So with a 4xBB raise from level 1 I'm now at 80/1500 = 5.3%

and on level 2 I'm at 120/1450 =8.3%

I think this also has an edge pschologically(sp).

If there is a limper in front of me on Level 1 - I have now made my bet an even 100.

Yes this is only 20 chips more, but on the site it's nice black chip, vs. a bunch of red and green ones, and makes the caller seem like they are calling off a fair amount of their chips.

So to summarize my long post.

I feel an adjustment of an extra 1 BB raise to 4BB on sites like pokerroom where your stacks are deeper, and a 3xBB raise isn't as big a portion of your stack as it is on a site like party.

After level 3 - I tend to adjust down to a 3xBB raise sometimes 2xBB - but it's more stack and table dependent at this point.

So does my theory have merit? or am I creating a leak in my game?