PDA

View Full Version : New Hellmuth on Hold'Em Book

SixMile
03-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Any info on this new offering from the King Of Poker? It's only $6.50 so it must be a good deal..

Overdrive
03-31-2005, 12:31 PM
Yes, this book is basicly a reprint of his advice for hold em in his book "Play Poker Like the Pros." He even says so in the introduction when he says, "The first thing that should be said about this book is: The content is the same as that in the Texas Hold'em chapters in Play Poker Like the Pros, with a few scattered refinements."

He does add a new section giving some of his advice on winning tournaments.His tournament advice is basiclly the usual...he says don't try and blind steal in the beginning stages, but do steal blinds later especially when the players left are almost in the money and they are playing tight. I'm not one of the thousands of Phil Hellmuth bashers, but if you have played any poker at all it's basiclly a useless book, it's aimed at raw beginners it seems. But I did find it interesting that in the tournament advice section Phil said he gives poker lessons for $25,000 a night. I think you could buy a few books that would teach you a lot more for a lot less money.

KenProspero
03-31-2005, 02:46 PM
I agree with your views on Hellmuth.

I don't bash him, and in fact, if I had a friend who had never played poker, and said that he intended to play in Vegas, and only had the airplane flight down to learn the game, I'd probably recommend Hellmuth's book.

For anyone else, I'd go with a different recommendation

Aceshigh7
03-31-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes, this book is basicly a reprint of his advice for hold em in his book "Play Poker Like the Pros." He even says so in the introduction when he says, "The first thing that should be said about this book is: The content is the same as that in the Texas Hold'em chapters in Play Poker Like the Pros, with a few scattered refinements."

He does add a new section giving some of his advice on winning tournaments.His tournament advice is basiclly the usual...he says don't try and blind steal in the beginning stages, but do steal blinds later especially when the players left are almost in the money and they are playing tight. I'm not one of the thousands of Phil Hellmuth bashers, but if you have played any poker at all it's basiclly a useless book, it's aimed at raw beginners it seems. But I did find it interesting that in the tournament advice section Phil said he gives poker lessons for $25,000 a night. I think you could buy a few books that would teach you a lot more for a lot less money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since that part of the book was written Phil has upped his price for lessons to $50,000 a night. And according to him he is still finding takers at that price. Nice little side income there!

general
03-31-2005, 04:15 PM
His idea of looking at what type of player a person is can be really good. Of course, it is probably something a more experienced player would know anyways. If a guy hasn't bet in 30 hands and is now betting like a madman, you'd best have awesome cards to be calling him. Phil calls this type of person a mouse and talks about how to deal with him. Much of the rest of his book though is not so good unless you're a complete beginner.