PDA

View Full Version : Quote By Daniel Negreanu in latest Cardplayer Article

Jimbo
10-18-2002, 04:43 PM
Just wonder who else noticed that Daniel gave improper accreditation (and for that matter misquoted) for his quote "The harder you work, the luckier you get." He accreditated someone named McAlexander but I believe the original quote goes something like this "I'm a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work the more I have of it." by Thomas Jefferson

Now how many of you thought the great golfer Gary Player said this first? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Now here are two of my favorite quotations regarding luck:
"True luck consists not in holding the best of the cards at the table; luckiest is he who knows just when to rise and go home." by John Hay in the late 1800's and this in The Talmud "Never expose yourself unnecessarily to danger; a miracle may not save you...and if it does, it will be deducted from your share of luck or merit."

To paraphrase the above quotes "Always quit a winner" and "Just because you sucked out with a gut shot on the river this time don't count on that saving your lucky ass in the future" /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Jimbo

10-18-2002, 04:56 PM
How many of you have thought the great British golfer Gary Player is actually South African?

10-18-2002, 05:21 PM

B-Man
10-18-2002, 05:30 PM
How about this one:

"Luck is where preparation and opportunity intersect."

I don't know who said that, other than my high school cross country coach. See, who said we don't learn anything important in high school...

Jimbo
10-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Yor learned coach paraphrased Pierre Elliott Trudeau when he said "Luck, that's when preparation and opportunity meet."

Jimbo

Jimbo
10-18-2002, 06:03 PM
Limon,

Was that Louis Pastuer that said this? Or perhaps William Wordsworth?

Jimbo

Tommy Angelo
10-18-2002, 07:02 PM
The only luck in poker is finding opponents you can beat.

10-18-2002, 07:08 PM

Jimbo
10-18-2002, 07:17 PM
The Talmud is a compilation of Jewish law and traditions composed of two main writings. The Mishnah and the more important Gemara composed around 500 AD in Babylonia and in Palistine around 400 AD.

Jimbo

10-18-2002, 08:18 PM
is there anything you don't know??? By the way, what the f&ck does it matter what is says in the books you talk of. When the rabbis come out and say other things today. Which is the correct one to follow? The book (talmud) or the spoken word of the big dog rabbis today?\
Thanks Jimbo.

B-Man
10-18-2002, 09:13 PM
Now that you mention it, Coach got it right and I got it wrong.

10-18-2002, 09:39 PM
Luck is just an emotional state induced in people from a reaction to probability or random chance.

Probabitlity exists - Luck does not. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

-Zeno

10-18-2002, 09:44 PM
To Anonymous,

The answer to your question is yes, I do not know how to successfully log in here from a computer other than the one on which I originally registered. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

By the way that was a very astute observation about the differences between the original teachings of The Talmud versus that of today's Rabbis. I am unable to reconcile the differences either. I suppose it can be open to interpretation and different translations but I do not believe that explains the radical differences in today's society.

Just so you know I wasn't attempting to advocate the Jewish faith over any other, simply posting I quote I really like.

Jimbo

10-18-2002, 09:47 PM
Zeno,

When an event occurs despite all probabilty to the contrary doesn't that define luck?

Jimbo

10-19-2002, 01:47 AM
The best luck quote is......."Luck is when preperation meets opportunity." some sports guy psychologist said it i think

MS Sunshine
10-19-2002, 02:13 AM
Luck=A short term statistical anomaly, nothing more.

MS Sunshine

mike l.
10-19-2002, 02:45 AM
"The only luck in poker is finding opponents you can beat."

just like the bachelor who goes into a bar and finds women who will go home with him: "i got lucky last night!"

yeah i think youre onto something here.

Sooga
10-19-2002, 01:15 PM
I'm too lazy to see if someone else already posted it, but a couple of my faves:

"Luck is the residue of design" - Branch Rickey

"Bob Gibson is the luckiest pitcher I've ever seen. He always pitches on the day the other team doesn't score any runs." - teammate Tim McCarver

Phat Mack
10-19-2002, 03:54 PM
This is my favorite, too. I first heard it quoted by Hugh O'Brien, the actor who played Wyatt Earp on 50's TV. I bet it goes way back.

10-19-2002, 06:05 PM
Of course, to debate the existance or non-existance of luck, one has to define luck...

How about: If you are "lucky" you are running better than you deserve, if you are "unlucky" you run worse than you deserve.

This means that you can be lucky or unlucky on any particular session but in the long run it will even out at what is expected for your skill level...

So... my quote on luck:

"The good player needs less luck than the bad player to win a dollar"

Unfortunately for the bad player, luck only persists in the short term... The question is, with 0-luck and 0-unluck, what's the expected win per hand?

Zeno
10-19-2002, 08:12 PM
Jimbo,

One definition from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary, Luck: The unpredictable element in existence. So, yes this does fit your description. I was making the point that a disassociation of yourself from Luck and its emotional content is necessary to think clealy about what "luck" really is and how it applies to poker and other aspects of life.

Fortune, another definition of luck, is the co-name of:

"Tyche the dauther of Zeus, to whom he has given the power to decide what fortune of this or that mortal shall be. On some she heaps gifts from a horn of plenty, others she deprives of all they have. Tyche is altogether irresponsible in her awards, and runs about juggling with a ball to exemplify the uncertianty of chance: sometimes up, sometimes down." -From, The Greek Myths, by Robert Graves.

The idea of luck, or fortune, or chance, strikes a very deep cord in the human psyche and is why it plays so large a part in myths both ancient and modern. It is also why the game of poker exists. Thus, making fortune (luck) one of the most important factors of the game. But I am getting too far afield and best stop here. Perhaps we all have our own definition of luck that suits our personal needs for life and poker.

Best of Luck - Zeno

scalf
10-20-2002, 08:56 AM
/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif tommy, smartest thing i've heard this weelk...gl /forums/images/icons/grin.gif