PDA

View Full Version : Sklansky vs Abdul 30 Holdem hand.

Vince Lepore
10-18-2002, 02:58 PM
I did not get the permission of either David or Abdul to post this hand but I'm doing it anyway. Hope they forgive me.
I was at Bellagio's the other night. There were no high limit games going. Not that I was there to play high limit. I only play mid limit. But David Sklansky plays pretty high by my standards and I wanted to say hello if he was there. Hey, what do you know. David was there anyway and he was sitting at a new 30-60 game and lo and behold there was Abdul sitting 2 seats away from him.

I said hello to David and then struck up a conversation with Abdul. I like Abdul and will talk with him any chance I get, especially when it concerns poker. Although we don't always agree I respect what he has to say.

Well the game soon got underway and I sat behind another buddy of mine, Bert, that was also in the game. After a minute or so I asked David if he minded if I sweated him for a while. He said o.k and I sat behind him. I will tell all of you out there a secret. I did not ask David if it was o.k. but I'm gonna tell you all anyway. The stories you here about David being an easy read and a tight ass player are just that, stories. David is an excellant poker player. Almost as good as ... O.K. I'm trying to be serious. Let's just say do not believe all of those stories that dis the man.

O.K. here goes the Sklansky - Abdul hand. David was in mid position with Ks,Jc. There was an early limper (may have been 2) then David limped. The next player sitting between David and Abdul (I think the guy was a buffer because David didn't want to piss of Mason by sitting next to Abdul) anyway, he limps also. So you have 3 or four limpers to Abdul, who then raises. The blinds fold and all the limpers call.

The flop comes Kc,Jh,Th. It was checked to Abdul, who bet. the early limper(s) folded. David called as did the next player. The turn was the 8d (Ks,Jh,Th,8d board) and David bet out. The next player folded and Abdul hesitatingly called. The river was the Js (Ks,Jh, Th,8d,Js board) giving David a full house. David bet and hesitating even more Abdul called. David won the pot and Abdul did not show his hand. David later commented to me that he thought Abdul had A,K. I said that I didn't think so because if he did I believe that he would raise the turn. Not that I think raising the turn is the right play here but I believe that Abdul is very aggressive and might tend to make that play. Well Abdul told me what his hand was. What do you think it was? O.K. O.K. I'll tell. He had A,Q, he said, and I believe him. I do not agree with not raising the turn, but that's me. I thought the hand was well played by both although I might check raise the flop if I'm David. Of course there were 2 hearts and a straight out there so David's play is, well, expert like, maybe. Comments?

Vince

andyfox
10-18-2002, 03:08 PM
I would have guessed A-K for Abdul as David did. Why wouldn't Abdul raise the turn with A-Q? Since Abdul isn't allowed here, maybe you could also post this on RGP and Abdul will answer on why he didn't raise the turn.

Good post. You're an excellent reporter, although your sources may dry up if you don't get their permission to reveal your sources.

mikelow
10-18-2002, 03:59 PM
I think Abdul got drawn out on, but why didn't he raise the turn. I would have check-raised the turn here.

Anyway, maybe Abdul can start posting again (fat chance! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif ). BTW, why is it that I am drawn out on more by the pros than the fish?

eMarkM
10-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Since Abdul isn't allowed here

Ok, I'll bite. So why isn't Abdul allowed here? He seems to post some interesting stuff on RGP. I'm not up on all the feuds between the Poker Gods.

angry young man
10-18-2002, 04:25 PM
I'm glad you asked, I was wondering but afraid it was a touchy subject for those in power here. I'd agree that his poker ideas are very interesting.

Vehn
10-18-2002, 05:30 PM
If Abdul would raise the turn with both AK and AQ, and David knows this, and would have to call on the river if it's a blank, why would Abdul not raise the turn with AQ?

If that makes any sense at all.

skp
10-18-2002, 05:56 PM
I don't believe Abdul is barred. He is still welcome to post and I think he does post now and then (Obviously, I wish he were a regular poster). The only ones who are barred to the best of my knowledge are Carson, Badger and Quadnines. I should say that Carson and Badger really have barred themselves i.e. they refuse to post here. I should also say that while Quadnines can be a real pain in the ass, he also has quality advice to offer. I think that he ought to be debarred. I don't really understand why he was barred in the first place. Something about him pulling the wool over our eyes by posting under the name "Mark Glover" when in fact he was posting his friend's thoughts or because he was posting in tandem with someone or some such reason. The justification sounds pretty trifling to me. I mean there are guys who post here under all kinds of different handles and no one seems to mind.

In my view, Quadnines - while being a pain in the ass...oops...I said that already, didn't I?...ought not to be barred. He ought to be invited to post again. Anyway, that's my opinion FWIW.

As for the hand itself, these guys are on some kind of different level of thinking that I can't quite fathom. I can understand why Sklansky may have elcted not to checkraise the flop but that's about all I can understand. I can't really understand his preflop limp. I can't really understand his turn bet after a blank comes. I can't undersand Abdul's failure to raise the turn or river for that matter having not raised the turn. I guess it's this lack of understanding that has me playing 10-20 Canadian rather than 30-60 Yankee doodle money (and higher).

BruceZ
10-18-2002, 05:57 PM
If he thought he had AK, why didn't he bet into Abdul on the flop so he'd raise into the pre-flop limpers?

10-18-2002, 06:02 PM
Let me get this right. On the turn , David who is first to act bets, Abdul has a straight to the ace(and the nuts at the time)and does not raise. Is there any reason in the entire universe of poker strategy that can explain not raising.

Tommy Angelo
10-18-2002, 07:17 PM
"He had A,Q, he said, and I believe him."

Fantasy poker, a cooperative of feigned believe.

budman
10-18-2002, 07:59 PM
I'll say one thing; I sure would have lost a lot more money on this hand than Abdul. I might not raise pre-flop, but I would put as many chips in as possible on the flop and turn. I then would have paid David off on the river.

Thank God I have a good day job.

Trefo
10-18-2002, 08:11 PM
I know you said you believe him but no raise on the turn with a nut straight seems odd to me.....He probably had AK and said AQ to justify his calling to the end.

mike l.
10-18-2002, 08:59 PM
with this many limpers in, despite the 2 hearts on the flop i would usually check behind on the flop and give everyone a free card so i could then collect many big bets on the turn with my flopped broadway. and i dont think it's close.

also oz's play seems a bit timid. there's something to be said for possibly betting the flop, check-raising the flop, check-raising the turn, and:

ESPECIALLY going for a check-raise on the river against the sort of opponent who is likely to value bet the river with most hands he would call with on the turn.

mike l.
10-18-2002, 09:07 PM
"Why wouldn't Abdul raise the turn with A-Q?"

because oz may be betting the turn with a hand that, if it's beat has no outs to improve (hpfap), so he will fold to a raise.

also if the board does not do anything on the river that appears to improve sklansky's hand then abdul can raise and will likely be paid off by anything david wouldve bet both the turn and river with.

there really is little reason to raise the turn here w/ AQ.

oh and as for abdul's hesitation on the turn that was clearly a reverse tell. or he may have been hesitating because he was trying to quickly weigh the reasons for raising or smoothcalling.

mike l.
10-18-2002, 09:16 PM
"Is there any reason in the entire universe of poker strategy that can explain not raising."

please reads my reply to andyfox. i give a couple reasons.

golly you guys are unimaginative.

10-18-2002, 09:25 PM
I agree with Tommy, no way on planet earth Abdul had AQ.

Jimbo

mikelow
10-18-2002, 09:34 PM
good point.

10-18-2002, 09:44 PM
The only information David had when it was his turn to bet on the flop was that Abdul had raised preflop. I can assure you he did not "put him on AK" at that point.

astroglide
10-18-2002, 11:26 PM
ak is the most commonly raised hand in the game of holdem. it's pretty safe to 'assume' it from any race, and his play afterwards certainly didn't fight against the theory.

J_V
10-19-2002, 02:14 AM
No Abdul is barred until he apologizes. He accused Mason of violently throwing elbows at him in a physical confrontation. That image will remain with me forever /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

J_V
10-19-2002, 03:05 AM
Yeah, it was a reverse tell. you have to be kidding me. Cause thats the only reason for a great player to ponder.

That type of comment, makes me sick to my stomach.

mike l.
10-19-2002, 03:15 AM
"Yeah, it was a reverse tell. you have to be kidding me."

no not really.

"Cause thats the only reason for a great player to ponder."

i listed another more plausible reason. he wasnt sure whether to raise or just call.

"That type of comment, makes me sick to my stomach."

you must have a pretty weak stomach.

youve never successfully given off a reverse tell? youre missing out man.

10-19-2002, 06:21 AM
1. There were no limpers in front of me. If there were I would have bet on the flop.

2. The player between me and Abdul was a live one. Whenever I have a close decision I go for an overcall with that live one.

3. The turn blank significantly increases the chances that I will win. It would be a disaster for it to go check check check.

4.Abdul has been told he can post here if he promises to stick to poker.

skp
10-19-2002, 05:18 PM
But of course there are reasons for Abdul to not raise but the question is whether there is a better play. Obviously, there is. I can't imagine (hey...you are right about being unimaginative) how raising can't be the clear best play. To think otherwise would evidence a very vivid imagination indeed.

andyfox
10-19-2002, 10:39 PM
"why is it that I am drawn out on more by the pros than the fish?"

Because the pros are making proper draws and the fish aren't.

andyfox
10-19-2002, 10:54 PM
What do you think Abdul put David on on the turn? What could David have that he would call the flop, bet the turn, and then fold to a turn raise?

droidboy
10-19-2002, 11:06 PM
O.K. here goes the Sklansky - Abdul hand. David was in mid position with Ks,Jc. There was an early limper (may have been 2) then David limped.

Doh! No wonder people dis his play.

droidboy
10-19-2002, 11:11 PM
1. There were no limpers in front of me. (when he called KJo)

Never mind my other doh! Make it a double doh! Gyspying in middle position with KJo !?!

Talk amonst yourselves.