PDA

View Full Version : KT in Small Blind

Easystreet
03-31-2005, 04:11 AM
This is my second hand at the table, no player reads.
PokerStars 0.50/1.00 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG+2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks.

Turn: (2.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, CO folds.

When no one bet the flop, I figured that no one had a jack or a flush draw. With another jack on the turn and another diamond, I thought there was a chance all my opponents might fold was this too aggressive with four opponents?
River: (4.50 BB) 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+2 calls.

Well I managed to get everyone to fold except for UTG+2. I think I should have just checked and called a bet in this situation. Because if UTG+2 had been on a flush draw he would not call my bet, and if he had a good hand he might raise me.

Final Pot: 6.50 BB

Evan
03-31-2005, 04:14 AM
I like the way you played it. If the MP3 or CO bets the flop I'd check raise.

Niediam
03-31-2005, 04:18 AM
NH. I would have played it exactly the same.

SoftcoreRevolt
03-31-2005, 05:08 AM
The Turn bet is super. Checking is a huge blunder as now you let lone diamonds and overs get a free river. You have the best hand here 90% of the time, you MUST bet. The only way I could see not betting here is if MP3 and CO are the type of players who ALWAYS bluff at a paired board and you get the chance to check raise.

There is absolutely no reason not to bet that river. If the 4 helps the villain, well, collect your Sklansky buck and go on to the next hand. You should be betting that river against pretty much anything except a 4th diamond.

This isn't a "Villain will only call with a better hand" situation, since he'll call with 55-99, and A high (assuming that since the board double paired his Ace is good and you were on a lone diamond) etc.

Sure the 4 isn't the best card to come there, but I think that is a definate value betting situation.

under the gun
03-31-2005, 06:46 AM
I think your semi bluffing on the river was just the correct play!

PayTheSnucka
03-31-2005, 09:53 AM
I like the turn bet because it will tell you what you need to know about the hand. If you are raised then you know you are beat (or at least have to give the respect).

Since you are just called, you can confidently go to the wall with the hand if a blank hits the river.

Chris Daddy Cool
03-31-2005, 10:00 AM
nh.

TomBrooks
03-31-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the reasoning behind check raising with middle pair. Could you explain?

crownjules
03-31-2005, 11:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the reasoning behind check raising with middle pair. Could you explain?

[/ QUOTE ]

Protecting your hand/outs? Two players will be forced with facing 2 cold. You want people with diamonds and Ks to fold so you have cleaner outs. You have middle pair which may not be so bad. A LP bettor doesn't necessarily have a J.

EDIT: You may get someone with a J and crappy kicker to fold as well.

MrWookie47
03-31-2005, 11:38 AM
If a fourth diamond falls, you'll want to bet then as well. Clarkmeister's theorem and all.

Edit: By the way, I like how you played it in general, and thanks for including your thought processes along with the hand. It helps out everyone, and makes for a better discussion.

gopnik
03-31-2005, 12:29 PM
Would it be bad to bet the flop here? I think that's what I would do. Is it my leak?

Niediam
03-31-2005, 03:16 PM
I hope this was a joke... if not then it's time to read ToP again! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hattifnatt
03-31-2005, 03:24 PM
Nothing wrong with betting the flop here but I think a check is a little better with that many opponents.

davelin
03-31-2005, 08:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The thinking is that a lot of LP bettors will bet with a lot of hands that Hero can beat here. He can raise partially for value but also to force out others.

davelin
03-31-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Would it be bad to bet the flop here? I think that's what I would do. Is it my leak?

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't, this many players it's hard to know if you're best. You can and get called, you still don't know if you're best.