PDA

View Full Version : JTo in BB yields thrilling preflop question!

Harv72b
03-31-2005, 12:27 AM
Taking a break from sfer's challenge & trying to make some real money. UTG+1 is a relative unknown--he's played ~30% of his hands thru 4 orbits, but done nothing else noteworthy. MP2 is a LAG thru & thru, playing ~55% of his hands and cold-calling nearly every preflop raise. CO is the king of loose/passives--75/0.8/0.7 over ~1250 hands. What possessed him to move up to 5/10 is beyond me.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (8.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG+1 calls, CO calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 folds, CO calls.

River: (9.20 BB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 11.20 BB
<font color="#009B00">Main Pot: 11.20 BB, between CO and Hero.</font>

Comments on all streets are very welcome, although I feel like I nailed the postflop play on this one. Big question is the preflop call...is 7:1 enough for JTo?

Argus
03-31-2005, 12:38 AM
I like the preflop call with so much money in the pot, and I edited out the rest of my advice, because I can't read.

CallMeIshmael
03-31-2005, 12:39 AM
Im ok with the preflop call

7.6-1 to flop it hard (trips, 2 pairs, OESD, straight)

Why not lead the flop?

I'm not exactly crazy about trapping the field with a pair of tens.

Harv72b
03-31-2005, 12:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the preflop call with so much money in the pot, but what calls the river that you beat? Is AK really going to showdown here? I think check/call to induce a bluff is a better plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

CO would call with any pair, A high, K high...quite a few more hands than he'd bet.

Harv72b
03-31-2005, 12:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not lead the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning was that I couldn't count on the PFR to autoraise with overcards, and either way I felt the other two were just as likely to call 2 cold as 1. The c/r was mainly aimed at getting UTG+1 out of the hand as soon as possible, or at least forcing him to define his hand.

Argus
03-31-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why not lead the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

My reasoning was that I couldn't count on the PFR to autoraise with overcards, and either way I felt the other two were just as likely to call 2 cold as 1. The c/r was mainly aimed at getting UTG+1 out of the hand as soon as possible, or at least forcing him to define his hand.

[/ QUOTE ]
I like that. I first thought leading out was wise, but that's only the case if you can count on him to raise and clear the field for you. What was your plan if UTG+1 raised you on any street?

CallMeIshmael
03-31-2005, 12:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't mind the preflop call with so much money in the pot, but what calls the river that you beat? Is AK really going to showdown here? I think check/call to induce a bluff is a better plan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this changes your comments, but CO isnt preflop raiser... and he plays a 75/0.8/0.7 game

CallMeIshmael
03-31-2005, 12:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then I dig the CR

Argus
03-31-2005, 12:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure if this changes your comments, but CO isnt preflop raiser... and he plays a 75/0.8/0.7 game

[/ QUOTE ]
I just noticed that myself and went back to edit my post. Now that you've pointed that out, I think betting the river is obvious.

PassiveCaller
03-31-2005, 12:50 AM
It's all okay. Nice hand.

mtdoak
03-31-2005, 12:54 AM
It depends on UTG to be honest. I think your getting the right odds to call though. Bet out the flop though. Your hand is VERY vunerable to redraw. It will also give UTG+1 a chance to define his hand.

Harv72b
03-31-2005, 01:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What was your plan if UTG+1 raised you on any street?

[/ QUOTE ]

Call a flop 3-bet &amp; check/fold the turn UI, fold to a raise on any other street. I generally assume sLP-P as the standard for unknowns on this level, so I doubt I'm folding the best hand very often.

einbert
03-31-2005, 01:02 AM
I'm not sure about the preflop call, but it can't be far from correct.

Bet the flop, everything else is perfect.

Not betting the river, as some poster suggested, would have been a mistake. You have top pair and noone has fought back, you must bet this river.