PDA

View Full Version : pocket Qs against the fish...

RockPile
03-30-2005, 11:49 PM
I've hit a slump lately and have been questioning some of my play (as you always tend to when the downswing happens).. heres one of them.. flame away.

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls.

River: (6.75 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6.75 BB

NAU_Player
03-31-2005, 12:00 AM
100% standard in my book

RockPile
03-31-2005, 12:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
100% standard in my book

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry for posting this.. thats what I thought as well.. but when the kid flips over A2 offsuit ..sigh.

toss
03-31-2005, 12:08 AM
I think I'd bet that river.

teajay
03-31-2005, 12:09 AM
Nice hand.

You can't worry about it. You got your money in when you had the best of it and that's all you have control over.

Cheers,
Travis

UncleSalty
03-31-2005, 12:10 AM
Toss, do you bet/fold or bet/call the river there?

toss
03-31-2005, 12:13 AM
bet/fold

NAU_Player
03-31-2005, 12:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
kid flips over A2 offsuit ..sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take solace in the fact that your superior play is more profitable than his in the long run /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Preflop you are a 71.4% favorite
Flop you are a 86.5% favorite
Turn you are a 88.6% favorite

Edit: oops.

CAJ
03-31-2005, 12:24 AM
I think a bet on the river has negative returns:
1)I don't see him folding a hand that can beat Qs
2)There's only a few hands (if any)that are worth a call and lose to the Qs.

milesdyson
03-31-2005, 12:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
kid flips over A2 offsuit ..sigh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Take solace in the fact that your superior play is more profitable than his in the long run /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Preflop you are a 71.4% favorite
Flop you are a 86.5% favorite
Turn you are a 88.6% favorite

There was nothing more you could have done to get him to fold, so don't worry about it. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Nah dude, you want him to call down, otherwise you make no money off him.

NAU_Player
03-31-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Nah dude, you want him to call down, otherwise you make no money off him.

[/ QUOTE ]

oops... yeah.

Evan
03-31-2005, 03:47 AM
Bet the river, dude. You will get called by and pair.

Value betting the river in non-painfully obvious situations can really add to your win rate more than most people realize.

Bokonnon
03-31-2005, 08:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Value betting the river in non-painfully obvious situations can really add to your win rate more than most people realize.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still fairly new into my post-SSH career, but so far this is by far the most valuable tactic I've gotten from it.

chesspain
03-31-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan, whereas your advice may be true in general, in this hand, against an unknown player, there are very few worse hands that would have raised UTG that will call here...unless you place the opponent almost exactly on a hand like 55 or KTs. Indeed, you do realize that Hero is losing to any pocket pair 66 and higher, as well as to any J or A?

Zoelef
03-31-2005, 09:06 AM
I think the river Ace makes checking through a safer choice because the board didn't improve your hole cards and almost certainly improved the villain's (unless he has KQ*, given UTG raise). Logical?

Edit: I had a similar hand on TGC .50/1 yesterday:

I have 99 in MP2. Villain is UTG+1, no reads.
Villain calls, I raise, Villain calls.

Flop: J-Q-x rainbow
Villain checks, I bet, Villain calls.

Turn: Rag
Villain checks, I bet, Villain calls.

River: A (no 3-flush on board)
Villain checks, I check.
---
*JJ made straight on the turn, brain hurt bad

chesspain
03-31-2005, 09:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the river Ace makes checking through a safer choice because the board didn't improve your hole cards and almost certainly improved the villain's (unless he has KQ or JJ, given UTG raise). Logical?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero fell behind to JJ on the turn.

DoctorDrew
03-31-2005, 10:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Evan, whereas your advice may be true in general, in this hand, against an unknown player, there are very few worse hands that would have raised UTG that will call here...unless you place the opponent almost exactly on a hand like 55 or KTs. Indeed, you do realize that Hero is losing to any pocket pair 66 and higher, as well as to any J or A?

[/ QUOTE ]

While normally I would be tempted to value bet. I agree that I would be happy to check this river through. What is he raising with PF that I can beat here? KQ? (Assuming that an unknown if somewhat 'logical')

Now if I knew he raises UTG with garbage and calls down with middle pair or worse, I might bet. Here, I am happy I don't have to pay to get to showdown.