PDA

View Full Version : Stock my bar

Inthacup
03-30-2005, 11:42 PM
I have very little experience with liquor. Most liquor I've had has been in the form of mixed drinks. Also, it's mostly been low-end stuff. I'm willing to spend about $500 to stock my bar(or at least get started). I want to get a few brands of each type of liquor. At this point, assume I don't want to spend more than $50 on a bottle, but anything under that is fine.

This liquor will be used for occasional drinking. I want to buy some nicer brands. My goal is to develop my palate and experiment with some stuff I've never tried before. Assume I'm a complete novice.

Cup

pshreck
03-30-2005, 11:43 PM
This specific thread has been done before.

mason55
03-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Gin:
Bombay Sapphire for a nice clean gin
Tanqueray No. 10 for a fruity gin
Both are excellent

Vodka:
Stolichnaya Original
Any flavors you feel you need. My favorite is the black cherry (I can't even remember who makes it, it's a white bottle)

Whiskey:
Jack Daniels for a nice bourbon
Macallan's 12 yr. for a good single malt scotch

Tequila:
Patron Gold
Patron Silver

Others I like (choose by what you like/want):
Malibu Original
Hypnotiq
Blue Curaçao
Rumpleminz
Jagermeister
Generic Irish Cream Liquer
Generic Kaluah
Schnapps in whatever flavor you want (i like berry flavors)

These aren't necessarily the BEST price:taste performance, but people you invite over are going to want things like JD and everything on this list will be extremely easy to find.

goofball
03-30-2005, 11:51 PM
Johnnie Walker Black label
Sauza Hornitos Tequila
Absolut or Stolichnaya Vodka
Tanqueray Gin
I don't really know rum.
Various liquers and such: Cointreau, Kahlua, Bailey's, Frangelico

Inthacup
03-30-2005, 11:52 PM
found it. thanks.

mason55
03-30-2005, 11:55 PM
Rum is a very individual thing. i would suggest a dark and a light but that doesn't help much. I'm a huge fan of the mount gay sugarcane rum. I also like the super dark rums. bacardi light is nice, bacardi coco is fun, you really have to decide what you like with rum. interesting to see that me and goofball picked pretty much the same thing

i even picked sauza hornitos till i rememberd you can get patron for under $50

nothumb
03-31-2005, 12:03 AM
This thread has been done, but I'll bite because it's fun.

Vodka:
Get one cheap mixing vodka like Stoli or Skyy
And one nice one. I'm not a vodka drinker but my girlfriend likes Ketel One and Chopin.
One flavored one is good too, a lot of people like a Citron for mixing, especially girls.

Tequila:
You need to have a bottle of Patron. Gold is the best, any one is good.
Also get a mid-grade tequila like Sauza Hornitos or El Tesoro Reposado.
Do not get Cuervo. Do not get Sauza. If you must get a cheap one for mixing 1800 is passable.

Gin:
Tanqueray Ten. Not a gin drinker but this stuff is good. Get another cheap one too for teh n00bs.

Whiskey:
Jack Daniels is standard.
Jameson 12 year is very nice.
Woodford Reserve or Maker's Mark are nice bourbon's, get soem Booker's if you're feeling tough.
I second the Macallan 12 for scotch.

Rum:
I really don't drink rum, it makes me want to die.
Make sure and have Captain Morgan I guess.

Mixers/Liquers:
Kahlua
Chambord (raspberry liquer, makes a ton of great girl drinks)
Triple Sec
Cranberry, Orange, Pineapple, Grapefruit
Grenadine, Rose's Lime
Drambuie
Sprite, Coke, Ginger Ale

I would also really recommend having all the ingredients for good sangria in the house. It's very easy. You need a bottle of dry red wine, some Sprite, orange juice, cherry brandy, triple sec, and some fresh fruit to chop. I don't have a recipe but the idea is to start off easy on everything and work up to a nice blend. Don't add the soda until you are about to serve as it goes flat quickly. Somebody else can give their mixing levels but in general sangria is a great drink to be able to make and serve.

I'm sure I've forgotten some stuff but this is a very good start.

NT

eggzz
03-31-2005, 12:03 AM
Someone mentioned Cointreau, this is a must have, or you can get his cheaper brother, Triple Sec. That and have a bottle of Rose's Lime Juice on hand at all times. Its gotta be Roses.

Recommend learning how to make a good Cosmopolitan.

mason55
03-31-2005, 12:06 AM
surprised with everyone saying tanqueray... i prefer tanqueray to bombay but i usually feel like an outcast for saying so. nothing beats tanq 10, not even sapphire though.

NT you forgot a nice silver tequila, which, luckily, patron makes :-) sauza conmemorativo is just as good as hornitos, you should try both and see which you like better, they're both good but different.

rums, you can't go wrong with anything from mount gay.

mason55
03-31-2005, 12:10 AM
my friend gave me a bottle of macallan's 18 yr last night. oh. my. god. it was the best liquid to ever touch my tongue. i just have to save up $450 for the bottle of macallan's 25 year. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

nothumb
03-31-2005, 12:14 AM
I know, Patron's silver is good, but silver is mostly for shooting anyway so I'd rather buy the gold from the best.

I've had both Sauzas you mentioned and they're good. I was also suprised to find that Cuervo makes a decent Reposado called "Cuervo Tradicional," but I think it's only available in Mexico and maybe parts of the southwest. I've never seen it here in the north.

NT

mason55
03-31-2005, 12:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I know, Patron's silver is good, but silver is mostly for shooting anyway so I'd rather buy the gold from the best.

I've had both Sauzas you mentioned and they're good. I was also suprised to find that Cuervo makes a decent Reposado called "Cuervo Tradicional," but I think it's only available in Mexico and maybe parts of the southwest. I've never seen it here in the north.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

if you're a true tequalia man, check out cuervo de la familia. it's pricey (probably 80-100) but it's definitely worth it. the only cuervo i will drink.

IndieMatty
03-31-2005, 12:33 AM
Jameson 12 Year.

mason55
03-31-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Jameson 12 Year.

[/ QUOTE ]

Macallan's is so much better.

And it's not even close.

God i feel like a douche for saying that.

ethan
03-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Patron isn't nearly as good as others in its price range. Try the Casa Noble Reposado if you're looking for a $45-50 tequila. For vodka, you have no reason to get anything but Fris. It's inexpensive ($20/1.75L) and better than anything you can get for less than $25/750mL. Absolut is overpriced and not particularly good - as is the case with Patron you're paying for marketing. Finlandia's surprisingly good chilled. Skyy is ok, but still overpriced and not spectacular. Among the premium brands I like Vox and Mor.

For gin, I like having both Tanqueray and Sapphire on hand - I think the Tanqueray makes a better gin & tonic but the Sapphire's better in most cocktails. Hendrick's is my favorite gin, but it's pricier.

Rum - it depends. Mount Gay's inexpensive rum is a good basic option, as is Bacardi 8.

Whisk(e)y - For bourbon get Knob Creek and/or Maker's Mark to start. I prefer Knob Creek, but a fair number of people lean the other way. As you move up in price try the Woodford Distiller's reserve, the Pappy Van Winkle 15-year and Booker's. (Booker's being my favorite of the bunch.) Both Sazerac and van Winkle make good ryes in the 40-dollar range, but I'd suggest starting with bourbons. For scotch - the Balvenie Doublewood is a safe bet, as is the Macallan (anything). The Macallan cask strength is at the top of your price range but very good. The Laphroaig 10 will let you try peatier scotch. In general, the good ones in this category tend to be expensive. For Irish whiskey, I like the basic Bushmill's.

Miscellany - there's a lot of this. Get bitters, cointreau and vermouth and you'll have a decent start.

ethan
03-31-2005, 01:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
my friend gave me a bottle of macallan's 18 yr last night. oh. my. god. it was the best liquid to ever touch my tongue. i just have to save up $450 for the bottle of macallan's 25 year. /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Macallan 18 is excellent. I generally prefer peatier scotch but I always have a bottle of something Macallan on hand.

STLantny
03-31-2005, 01:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Whiskey:

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack daniels is not bourbon......

jesusarenque
03-31-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gin:
Both are excellent

Vodka:
Stolichnaya Original
Any flavors you feel you need. My favorite is the black cherry (I can't even remember who makes it, it's a white bottle)

Whiskey:

Tequila:
Patron Gold
Patron Silver

Malibu Original
Hypnotiq
Blue Curaçao
Rumpleminz
Jagermeister
Generic Kaluah

These aren't necessarily the BEST price:taste performance, but people you invite over are going to want things like JD and everything on this list will be extremely easy to find.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jack Daniels is neither bourbon nor nice.

pshreck
03-31-2005, 01:45 AM
Last 2 posters are both wrong. It is by definition, a bourbon, although it is never really referred to as one.

Tennessee whiskey is a kind of bourbon, as it is made from fermented mash.

EDIT:

Interesting, there is actually an argument over the clear definition of Bourbon, and some people think there is one slight difference ( in terms of aging) that makes Tennesse Whiskey not classifiable as such.

So without a clear defintion of the term, neither is right.

_2000Flushes
03-31-2005, 01:47 AM
Porfidio Silver Tequila
Kahlua
Frangelico
Hershey's Syrup

-2kF

jesusarenque
03-31-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Last 2 posters are both wrong. It is by definition, a bourbon, although it is never really referred to as one.

EDIT:

Interesting, there is actually an argument over the clear definition of Bourbon, and some people think there is one slight difference ( in terms of aging) that makes Tennesse Whiskey not classifiable as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

The good people at Jack Daniel's do not consider their product to be bourbon, in fact, they specifically state that it is NOT bourbon. They even tell you the difference on the website. JD is NOT bourbon.

Edge34
03-31-2005, 01:55 AM
To those who suggested Hyp...

I tried this stuff the other night, wasn't a big fan of it straight up. Is it just me? Do you mix it with stuff? I don't know...

FWIW, a friend told me to mix it with some Hennessy and it was pretty good then...just a side note for no reason at all.

pshreck
03-31-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT:

[/ QUOTE ]

The good people at Jack Daniel's do not consider their product to be bourbon, in fact, they specifically state that it is NOT bourbon. They even tell you the difference on the website. JD is NOT bourbon.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because most bourbons are distilled in a slightly different manner, and they want to be unique. Just about everything I can find on the internet classifies it as a bourbon, because JD is probably adjusting the definition to be more specific.

Are there any other Tennesee Whiskeys at all?

jesusarenque
03-31-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

EDIT:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because most bourbons are distilled in a slightly different manner, and they want to be unique. Just about everything I can find on the internet classifies it as a bourbon, because JD is probably adjusting the definition to be more specific.

Are there any other Tennesee Whiskeys at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

George Dickel is another Tennessee whiskey. It is also not bourbon.

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Gin:
Both are excellent

Vodka:
Stolichnaya Original

Whiskey:

Tequila:
Patron Gold
Patron Silver

Malibu Original
Hypnotiq
Blue Curaçao
Rumpleminz
Jagermeister
Generic Kaluah

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see what drinks you can make...

A shot of Jager
An extra extra dry Martini
A blue Margarita

Um, that's about it.

bugstud
03-31-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gin:
Both are excellent

Vodka:
Stolichnaya Original

Whiskey:

Tequila:
Patron Gold
Patron Silver

Malibu Original
Hypnotiq
Blue Curaçao
Rumpleminz
Jagermeister
Generic Kaluah

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see what drinks you can make...

A shot of Jager
An extra extra dry Martini
A blue Margarita

Um, that's about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

to be fair the kahlua and rumple together is one mean combo

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 02:47 AM
Cup,

You'll need a good selection of the 4 'clears', which are the basis for most mixed drinks.

Vodka:
Stoli - Regular, Orange, Vanili and Raz(for the ladies) should do it.
or some of the Absolutes, they are fine

Gin:
I'm a Bombay Sapphire man myself but you need a Tangueray also.

Rum:
Barcardi, the only one clear rum to go with. A dark rum like The Captain is needed too. You should have the coconut rums also, Malibu and Parrot Bay.

Tequila:
Now, Tequila is clear, period. Gold=garbage, remember this for the rest of your life.
A good, cheap mixing tequila is Hornitos Reposado, I highly recommend it for Margarita's. The Patron's are expensive but worth a top shelf for those shot-times, you won't need salt and limes for these shots.

You can get any of the Whiskey's mentioned.

Now here is where the bar is 'made':

Cordials and Liquors:

Orange:
Simple bottle of good old Triple-Sec for those fast Margarita will do.
Below are needed if you want to make that top shelf Marg:
Contreau
Grand Mariner

Raspberry:
You can get any cheap Raz liquor but you can't beat Chambord and it's needed for those high end, tasty, vodka martinis.

Melon:
Midori, trust no other for your maragritas. Bad Melon liquors are what they are, bad.

Coffee:
Kahlua, trust no other, just like the melon liqs.

Irish Cream:
Same as above, only Baileys in my bar.

Hazelnut:
Frangelico, made by Italian Monks, can't go wrong.

Peach:
Good, old, cheap, Peachtree. There are interesting Vodka martini recipes out there that use peachtree. Beware, the strength of the peach flavor can overwhelm a drink.

That should about do it and you'll have a solid bar to make all sorts of drinks.

Take care,
Joe Tall

nolanfan34
03-31-2005, 02:50 AM
You win.

I still have a thread bookmarked where you talked about tequilas and margarita recipes. Figured this would be the nut post, and I was right.

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 02:53 AM

Ok, $500 of booze, 4 drinks, is that fair to Cup?

bholdr
03-31-2005, 03:00 AM
Tennesee sour mash whiskey (J.D.) is 'bourbon' in the same way that california sparlkling wine is 'champagne'.

Bourbon is from Kentucky.

bugstud
03-31-2005, 03:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Ok, $500 of booze, 4 drinks, is that fair to Cup?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope, which is why I'm glad you made your post

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You win.

I still have a thread bookmarked where you talked about tequilas and margarita recipes. Figured this would be the nut post, and I was right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to keep going but I got distracted. I love this stuff, my liver doesn't, but I do.:D

Peace,
JT

ethan
03-31-2005, 03:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Vodka:
Stoli - Regular, Orange, Vanili and Raz(for the ladies) should do it.
or some of the Absolutes, they are fine

[/ QUOTE ]

See...this is where I disagree with the rest of the alchoh....booze enthusiasts. There's always a better option than Absolut. For a base vodka, Fris is better and cheaper. Absolut's clearly not as good as most of those costing $20+/750ml. And the flavored Absolut falls behind Charbay, Finlandia, Hangar 1, etc. Tanqueray Sterling Citrus is excellent. The Mezzaluna had some nice lemon flavor to it as well. Flavored vodka should also be fairly low on your list of priorities. Ugh. I just don't like this brand. They spend so much on advertising, and all they offer is a horrendously overpriced mediocre spirit.

I say this having tried a good 50-60 different bottles. No, really. My friends and I did a series of "vodka appreciation nights" where 10-12 of us would each bring a bottle of premium vodka. I've tried a _lot_ of what's out there. Your money would be better spent on something else.

I'd certainly take Stoli over Absolut as far as price/goodness goes. But if you can find it there's no reason to buy anything but Fris. No, really. Trust me. Or go buy a bottle ($18/1.75L) and tell me I'm wrong.

bugstud
03-31-2005, 03:46 AM
I would agree on the fris being a damn good buy for the price, svedka also is a good choice as far as that goes.

ethan
03-31-2005, 03:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would agree on the fris being a damn good buy for the price, svedka also is a good choice as far as that goes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't recall encountering that one anywhere, but if it's comparable to Fris I'll keep an eye out for it. You seen it anywhere near Southern California?

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 03:48 AM
But if you can find it there's no reason to buy anything but Fris. No, really. Trust me. Or go buy a bottle ($18/1.75L) and tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Up East Fris is $25/bottle. I agree with your preference but it's not the same price as Absolut, must be a distributor thing.

nothumb
03-31-2005, 04:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Now, Tequila is clear, period. Gold=garbage, remember this for the rest of your life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Tall, you are dead wrong on this one.

NT

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 04:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Tall, you are dead wrong on this one.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Tequila is clear. If it's not, there has been additives, like carmel. The Tequila that has a light tint to it because of the oak barrell aging process, is the good stuff. This is Anejo or 'aged'. But this is not GOLD tequila, gold is aged in large vats. You may be confused.

There is a strict Tequila terminology: Check it out. (http://www.pinkiesonline.com/tequila.htm)

Care to explain anything, or 25k members of the forum know you are the tequila expert and I missed something?

Tequila also never has a worm in it. The worm is Mezcal a by product of Tequila. It is also only made in Mexico and his heavily regulated by the Mexican goverment. This is the only thing the goverment does well, it's rumored.

Peace,
Joe Tall

ethan
03-31-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But if you can find it there's no reason to buy anything but Fris. No, really. Trust me. Or go buy a bottle ($18/1.75L) and tell me I'm wrong.

You are wrong. Up East Fris is $25/bottle. I agree with your preference but it's not the same price as Absolut, must be a distributor thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bleh. Absolut's $32/1.75L here, is it any cheaper there? I'd pay more for Fris than Absolut, although I'm not entirely sure where the limit lies.

nothumb
03-31-2005, 04:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tequila is clear. If it's not, there has been additives, like carmel. The Tequila that has a light tint to it because of the oak barrell aging process, is the good stuff. This is Anejo or 'aged'. But this is not GOLD tequila, gold is aged in large vats. You may be confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me on that. For some reason I was thinking that 'anejo' means 'gold.' Responding in haste, etc. Tequila with an actual full-on gold tint (like your standard Cuervo) is scary and gross.

Carry on Mr. Tall....

NT

nothumb
03-31-2005, 04:45 AM
Wait a sec, I knew I wasn't crazy...

Patron Anejo (http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1394)

These people list it as 'Gold Tequila.' But when one clicks on the link to Gold Tequila (http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/productlist.php?grpid=15&PHPSESSID=0a5609a92ed99d1 00b41dbd37c0568ff) it doesn't just list anejos. In fact, weirdly enough, some of the ones listed aren't anything special, while others are very good.

Maybe these people are confused too. Honestly I'm not sure what's correct. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the terminology Joe.

NT

ethan
03-31-2005, 04:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tequila is clear. If it's not, there has been additives, like carmel. The Tequila that has a light tint to it

[/ QUOTE ]

...And here I had a whole rant prepared about how you didn't understand what "clear" tequila meant, since I thought you were excluding anejo/reposado and only including silver. Bleh. Cheap tequila sucks.

nothumb
03-31-2005, 04:48 AM
Okay I read the terminology, Joe, and it makes sense. Certainly by the definition there, gold tequila is nothing good. So why do the people on this apparently reputable site describe a tequila aged in small, white oak casks as 'gold' tequila?

I am really confused. All I know is, I know good tequila when I taste it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 04:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No argument from me on that. For some reason I was thinking that 'anejo' means 'gold.' Responding in haste, etc. Tequila with an actual full-on gold tint (like your standard Cuervo) is scary and gross.

Carry on Mr. Tall....

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't ever come between a tall American-Lithuanian and his booze! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Care to talk Vodka? My grandfather told me the main reason why the Soviets occupied Lithuania was because the Lits had better potatoes to make their Vodka. Being a Baltic State, I think he may have been telling the truth. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Peace,
Joe Tall

ethan
03-31-2005, 04:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Wait a sec, I knew I wasn't crazy...

Patron Anejo (http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/nlpdetail.php?prodid=1394)

These people list it as 'Gold Tequila.' But when one clicks on the link to Gold Tequila (http://www.thedrinkshop.com/products/productlist.php?grpid=15&PHPSESSID=0a5609a92ed99d1 00b41dbd37c0568ff) it doesn't just list anejos. In fact, weirdly enough, some of the ones listed aren't anything special, while others are very good.

Maybe these people are confused too. Honestly I'm not sure what's correct. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the terminology Joe.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

"gold" and "anejo" are very, very different things. In short: gold means added coloring, anejo means added aging. I"ll let NT/JT explain further.

nothumb
03-31-2005, 04:56 AM
Right, I think what we have basically established is that the people selling the stuff are the ones screwing up the terminology, confusing poor me, and that my Spanish vocab sucks when I've been drinking PBR, the 'Gold' beer. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NT

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay I read the terminology, Joe, and it makes sense. Certainly by the definition there, gold tequila is nothing good. So why do the people on this apparently reputable site describe a tequila aged in small, white oak casks as 'gold' tequila?

I am really confused. All I know is, I know good tequila when I taste it. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's really easy actually.

The American population is dumb. Jose' Garbagevo has been advertising for years in this country. Jose is gold, cheap, crap with additives to make it sweet. (BTW the added sugar is why you get the nasty hangover, this topic for another day). They established the industry here in the States, so for the major, high-end distiller to deviate from the this "gold is good" image would be marketing suicide.

Take a cab,
JT

nothumb
03-31-2005, 05:01 AM
Yeah, damn advertising. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif
[ QUOTE ]
Jose is gold, cheap, crap with additives to make it sweet. (BTW the added sugar is why you get the nasty hangover, this topic for another day).

[/ QUOTE ]

I knew this. Cuervo makes me want to die.

[ QUOTE ]
Take a cab,

[/ QUOTE ]

Luckily I'm home already. When I'm out drinking I don't usually post on 2+2. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

NT

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 05:08 AM
If you are ever headed down the Baja you must stop at the Tequila Museum. (http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g150774-d153572-Reviews-Tequila_Museum-Rosarito_Baja_California.ink_html)

Not much of a review but it exsists and it a great time.

Peace,
JT

Shajen
03-31-2005, 09:37 AM
Joe Tall is pretty much spot on for most of his recommendations.

The only one I take issue with that I've read here is the vodka one.

Life is too short to drink shitty vodka.

The one thing the french have down as far as liquor goes is their vodka. Grey Goose is the way to go.

It's cleaner, crisper, and doesn't have that rubbing alcohol taste that other cheaper vodkas like Vox and Absolut have.

It isn't too much more expensive than either of these two, and the difference in your drinks is amazing.

You said you have around $500 to spend, don't waste your money on cheap vodkas. Grey Goose is the way to go. If you don't like that, Van Gogh's is pretty good too. I'm not a fan of Kettle One, but others seem to like it. YMMV.

Everything else Joe and NT said is pretty much spot on.

(bartended for quite a while, and while these are mostly personal experiences, your average drinker CAN tell the difference between crap vodkas and good ones.)

_2000Flushes
03-31-2005, 10:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Tennesee sour mash whiskey (J.D.) is 'bourbon' in the same way that california sparlkling wine is 'champagne'.

Bourbon is from Kentucky.

[/ QUOTE ]
Well put.

-2kF

texaspimp
03-31-2005, 10:30 AM
If any of you are ever in Kentucky, it is DEFINITELY worth the time to visit some distilleries. I've been to the Beam a couple of times and Maker's Mark once.

Beam = Free samples!!! (Booker's, Knob Creek) varies by day?? - No tour of distillery.
I was never a big fan of Beam until the visits.

Maker's Mark = tour of actual distillery and processes. Very cool! Plus, you can dip your own bottle. No free samples, though.

STLantny
03-31-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The MAIN thing between JD and bourbon, is that for any whiskey to be considered bourbon, along with the way it is distilled, it HAS TO, BY LAW, be aged in fired american oak (i think thats the wood) barrels. JD is not. If you get a chance to go to Kentucky, make sure to pick up some Elmer T Lee, the BEST bourbon. Ever.

_2000Flushes
03-31-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maker's Mark = tour of actual distillery and processes. Very cool! Plus, you can dip your

[/ QUOTE ]
So true. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1609351&page=&view=&s b=5&o=&vc=1)

-2kF

Joe Tall
03-31-2005, 01:01 PM
The one thing the french have down as far as liquor goes is their vodka. Grey Goose is the way to go.

For the record, liquor and Vodka are two different things. Liquors are 60proof or less and have a high sugar content. Oh, as a trivia note, the only whiskey that is also considered a liquor is Southern Comfort due to it's high sugar and it's one of the only liqours over 60proof.

As for Grey Goose, you don't need to be making a Long Island Ice Tea at 2AM with it when you are trying to get her that "one more drink", it'll be a waste.

Grey Goose and Kettle One for the Martinis, Stoli and Ab for the mixers.

Peace,
Joe Tall

Shajen
03-31-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For the record, liquor and Vodka are two different things. Liquors are 60proof or less and have a high sugar content. Oh, as a trivia note, the only whiskey that is also considered a liquor is Southern Comfort due to it's high sugar and it's one of the only liqours over 60proof.

As for Grey Goose, you don't need to be making a Long Island Ice Tea at 2AM with it when you are trying to get her that "one more drink", it'll be a waste.

Grey Goose and Kettle One for the Martinis, Stoli and Ab for the mixers.

Peace,
Joe Tall

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct sir. I was assuming he meant casual drinking, not partying. For partying, all my good stuff gets put up and they get to mix with the crap.

meanjean
03-31-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(BTW the added sugar is why you get the nasty hangover, this topic for another day).

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this to me? Not saying your wrong, I just never heard of this

moondogg
03-31-2005, 05:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(BTW the added sugar is why you get the nasty hangover, this topic for another day).

[/ QUOTE ]

Can you explain this to me? Not saying your wrong, I just never heard of this

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't explain the math on it, but I can gaurantee you it's true (at least for me and most of my friends) after years of experimentation.

The worst hangovers I get are from Grand Marnier and Sambuka. The worst beers are Michalob and Miller High Life.

I can drink straight Jack for hours on end and feel almost fine the next day (still hungover, from dehydration and lack of sleep, but without the blinding headache)
One of the benefits of the "ultra" low-carb beers (besides the stupid ass premise that they are better for your weight) is they the hangovers are not as bad.

moondogg
03-31-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Liquor (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liquor) vs. Liqueur (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=liqueur)

Liquor ("LICK her") is a big net of distilled alchoholic beverages, including whisky and vodka.

Liqueur ("lick CURE") is a specialized liquor with high alchohol content and usually high sugar content, stereotyped as after-dinner-drinks like Grand Marnier or dessert wines.

ArchAngel71857
03-31-2005, 09:30 PM
Did you forget you know 2kf and He who must not be named?

Hell, He who must not be anmed could stock your bar for $475 with good [censored] and take the other $25 to casino war.

-AA

_2000Flushes
03-31-2005, 10:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
and take the other $25 to casino war.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could have you killed for less.

-2kF

ArchAngel71857
03-31-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and take the other $25 to casino war.

[/ QUOTE ]
I could have you killed for less.

-2kF

[/ QUOTE ]

And yet he would still owe you a black chip for Casino War.

-AA

Inthacup
03-31-2005, 11:43 PM
Since when is a black chip worth $25?

ArchAngel71857
04-01-2005, 01:55 AM
Since I am talking about the black chip He who must not be named took from 2kf and played casino war.

And lost.

-AA

Screwtape
04-02-2005, 02:55 PM
I thought the chip was to be used for ladies, and I thought that was exactly what I did. Altough after the tuck under suprise I felt like we were even.

gumpzilla
04-02-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Never had the Fris, but I'll back you up on the Svedka.

_2000Flushes
04-02-2005, 03:57 PM
Anonym,

While coming between you and that girl in the hot tub was well worth $100, you were given that chip with a mission. You failed, and I have yet to exact my revenge.

-2kF

slamdunkpro
04-02-2005, 06:21 PM
Jack Daniels is NOT a bourbon (by definition or otherwise) All Bourbons come from Bourbon county KY. Plus JD has two additional steps in the process.

Tron
08-04-2005, 01:38 AM
Getting ready for that "low-key" party this weekend, and pulled this up out of my favorites.

Bump because this is a gem of a thread.

pokerdirty
08-04-2005, 01:46 AM
dont forget to put in Guiness on tap /images/graemlins/grin.gif