PDA

View Full Version : PP $20-$40: Did I get lucky??

balt999
10-18-2002, 11:17 AM
Sometimes you have the proper read on an opponent, but sometimes your read is wrong but in the end you win a pot because you got lucky....here's an example of what I mean. Last night, I took my first trip to the toughest level on interent poker: the Paradise $20-$40 game...I ended up in a very loose-aggressive table.

I'm in MP with QhJh....

It's opened raised by someone to my immediate right....he's one of the loose aggressive (LA) opponents whose been raising a lot of hands....then tends to overplay his hands on the flop...needless to say, he either wins a big pot or loses one.....I decided to try and isolate him so I 3 bet. It's cold call my opponent on my left..he seems like a straight-forward player (SFP).....it's folded around..the original raiser caps it...everyone calls...

3 to the flop..

QdQs10s

LA bets....I raise, in part because I wanted to disgust my hand...hoping the one of my opponents may has AA and KK ...so they try and hammer me on later streets, then I can get as much money in the pot as possible.....But I get a surprise as the SFP cold calls....LP just calls.......Hmmmmm....

THe Turn brings a 5c

I think that card is a total blank....LA Checks...I bet...Now SFP raises!! Could SFP be slowing playing Pocket 10's or the case queen.....Hmmm.....LA cold-calls...I decide to 3 bet to see where I'm at.....if SFP re-raise....I may be up against AQ and nearly drawing dead.....Instead, SFP just calls. At this point, I'm positive I have the best hand:

The river brings a Kc

LA checks again.....I bet......SFP calls......LA calls......I take down an $800 + pot with my set of Queens......LA shows AhKh.....SFP didn't show his hand.

Like I said, I had the proper read on my opponent's play, but had to get a great flop to beat him......So, how well did I play or not play on each street...

Thanks in advance...

Clarkmeister
10-18-2002, 12:15 PM
Based on your other Medium Stakes posts, I'm surprised you didn't fold since it was obvious you were up against KK.

/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

andyfox
10-18-2002, 01:51 PM
Perfectly done, IMO. Hit 'em over the head with a hammer until and unless they show you the error of your ways.

astroglide
10-18-2002, 02:04 PM
sounds fine

i probably would have flat-called preflop to invite other players in. with the notable exception of kqo, i think 'most' (typical loose-ish players) hands that beat you would call a 3bet (aj, aq, ak, kqs). at least it's that way in my game. overcard draws are a problem if you let more people in, but i think the pros outweigh the cons.

would you have actually folded to a 4bet on the turn? i'm all for 3betting, but i'm curious just because you said you did it to find out where you were. i'd be doing it to make money.