PDA

View Full Version : i got brawled heads up.....

Lunar Tweak
10-18-2002, 07:20 AM
i have read the shorthanded section in HPFAP, and i thought i understood the part of y someone who bets every time can get the best of u. however, i recently played someone in a limit heads up game and he was betting pretty much everytime. i tried to trap him, represent that i trapped him, slowplay many hands to induce bluffs(n e pair or A), and then finally tried to out-agressive him. i ended up 40 big bets down, which, if any, is the prevalent strategy? this is the only person i've had troubles with heads-up, as usually i am the one doing most of the raising.

thx

10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
I have been thinking about this issue for a long time. I believe that the answer is that the volume of hands your opponent is willing to play gives him an edge that you cannot overcome with selective, agressive play. You might find the discussion of Morten's Theorum by Sklansky, Caro, and Jalib helpful. The same dynamic applies to heads up play when the stakes are not meaningful to your opponent.

CreamPuff
10-21-2002, 12:48 PM
The recommendations in HFAP are fine for
4-6 handed games.

I find their guidelines far too tight for HU and some 3
handed play. At least against the more tenacious internet
players.

Ikke
10-23-2002, 09:26 AM
"I find their guidelines far too tight for HU and some 3
handed play. At least against the more tenacious internet
players."

I totally agree with that.

Regards

Ikke
10-23-2002, 09:32 AM
"....he discussion of Morten's Theorum..."

Just on a side note, Morten's Theorem states that the Fundamental
Theorem of poker doesnt always apply in situations where more than
two players are involved. But the FToP DOES always apply in HU play.

"The same dynamic applies to heads up play when the stakes are not meaningful to your opponent. "

Can you eleborate on that? I don't understand what you mean by that.

Regards

10-24-2002, 01:49 AM
Fairly new to poker. But have around 200 plus hours playing time and read about 5-10 books. ... What does HFAP stand for or come from. I'm on this forum to become a good short handed player.

Ikke
10-24-2002, 05:07 AM
"What does HFAP stand for or come from."

Either HPFAP or HFAP is often used and it refers to Hold'em Poker for Advanced Players by David Sklansky and Mason Malmuth.

"I'm on this forum to become a good short handed player."

Good. Post some hands you have doubt/ thoughts about. That may prove even more useful than just reading.

Regards