PDA

View Full Version : Raise 22 From BB?

Pat Southern
03-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Is a raise here becoming standard? Or should I only mix it in occassionally in this situation? Also what should my action be on the turn? I figure I'm not going to get a flush draw to fold no matter what, but it could knock out some gutshots with a raise.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $2.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO (poster) checks, Button calls, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO calls, Button calls, SB calls.

Flop: (16 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: (8 BB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero...

pokerstudAA
03-30-2005, 06:16 PM
I am drooling - but I think the raise is bad. Even with 6 limpers to you I think 22 might be light to raise here. Your position is terrible. Your odds were nice. I think 55+ are the raising pairs here. 77+ are better.

Even with your terrible position the raise bought you a free card for the set. I cannot imagine everyone checking that flop. They must think you were going for the c/r.

I would raise the turn to drive out gut shots and flush draws.

masonx
03-30-2005, 06:18 PM
yeah raising small PP preflop for value isnt really good.

mr pink
03-30-2005, 06:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is a raise here becoming standard?

[/ QUOTE ]

where have you seen this before?

CallMeIshmael
03-30-2005, 06:36 PM
This is unreal:

[ QUOTE ]
Flop: (16 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I dont like the raise. But, you are getting good money on the raise, so its not too bad.

SeaEagle
03-30-2005, 06:37 PM
7 callers isn't enough to raise a 22. You're getting 7-1 on your raise, but you're 7.5-1 against flopping a set and a set of 2s won't win all the time, so you're not getting enough value.

I would call the turn bet and hope somebody behind me raises. But it's already a big pot and I wouldn't argue with someone who said raise and take your 9-11BB pot, especially with the flush and straight draws on board.

Pat Southern
03-30-2005, 06:40 PM
I must be misapplying the concept from raising in position against a table full of limpers which may buy you a free turn, as opposed to here where I'm out of position and can't take a free card.