PDA

View Full Version : Was this check-raise a good play?

dawade
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP1 calls, MP3 folds, CO calls, SB calls.

Turn: (7 BB) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, SB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls.

River: (13 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP1 checks, CO checks.

Final Pot: 13 BB

davelin
03-30-2005, 05:37 PM
Not really. And the river play stinks honestly. You probably have the best hand, why are we risking letting it get checked through on the turn and why are we letting this get checked through on the river? We like money no?

scotty34
03-30-2005, 05:39 PM
I really don't like it. Villain could have the 9 and be trying to slowplay you, and by C/R'ing you cold be facing a 3-bet. If villain does not have the 9, there is a very high chance he checks it through on the turn, which is terrible. Your only hope is that he has a weaker J, and is willing to play it aggressively on a paired board.

Provided that you did get a C/R in there, you have to lead the river.

Edit: Oops, I didn't notice villain was the pre-flop raiser, so a 9 is unlikely. However, I still don't like it because villain will probably check it through on the turn.

iluzion
03-30-2005, 05:43 PM
i dont like the turn or river play.. no one after you has shown any aggression post flop here, not enough chance for it to be raised

river play is extra lousy.. if you must check/raise at any poitn in the hand, you really need to lead the next street.. even if you dont check/raise the turn, you still need to be leading this river

gopnik
03-30-2005, 06:38 PM
I think this hand is pretty straight forward. Bet the flop, bet the turn, and bet the river. c/r the turn and then checking the river does not make sense.

mlb3zr
03-30-2005, 06:48 PM
I wouldn't do it. Villain raises preflop, then you bet flop and he just calls. Given the nature of the board, this screams "the flop missed me!" So what in the world is 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif going to do to make him bet?? Are you counting on someone else to bet? Who and why? But since your check raise worked, bet the river. You are the only person who has shown any aggression postflop, so I'm thinking your hand is probably best and you should attempt to win another bet from of your opponents.

AlmightyJay
03-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Why did you do the check/raise? What were your thoughts at the time?

DeuceKicker
03-30-2005, 07:43 PM
I don't hate the turn c/r, though I wouldn't do it. Betting the flop and checking the turn smells like a steal attempt on a paired flop. Most often the PFT will bet this turn attempting to represent an overpair (or even because he does have an overpair). But trying another c/r on the river is an obvious example of Fancy Play Syndrome.

hicherbie
03-30-2005, 07:51 PM
no, a check means you lost a bet. and bet the river.