PDA

View Full Version : TT OOP...bet until he gives me reason to stop?

QTip
03-30-2005, 05:08 PM
Villian is a donk in every sense of the word...

Would you have the same line here? Would your line change given a different read?

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (8.33 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 folds, CO calls, BB folds.

Turn: (5.16 BB) 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

River: (7.16 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls.

Final Pot: 9.16 BB

Fat Nicky
03-30-2005, 05:14 PM
i like.

meep_42
03-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Yup.

-d

chief444
03-30-2005, 05:34 PM
Nice hand. I don't think I play it any differently against a different read but definitely not here.

MaxPower
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
You da man Qtip. Nice hand. I hope you didn't lose to the 2 high flush /images/graemlins/grin.gif

QTip
03-30-2005, 05:52 PM
Nope....KTo...no diamond.

Fat Nicky
03-30-2005, 05:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nope....KTo...no diamond.

[/ QUOTE ]

you need to learn how to get players to lay these hands down man!!!

QTip
03-30-2005, 05:59 PM
I pulled out a sawed-off 12, blew a hole through him, took his stack, ran off, he laid down, MHIG

stevew
03-30-2005, 06:04 PM
Sorry for the newbie questions...
1) what's a donk?
2) isn't it better to check the river (with the intent of calling any bet) to prevent getting check-raised and to induce a bluff from a hand that can't win.

masonx
03-30-2005, 06:21 PM
i check call that river too..

cassady
03-30-2005, 06:28 PM
I would have check-called the river. Why would he have called all the day down without either a flush draw or a K?

QTip
03-30-2005, 07:05 PM
No need to apologize for newbie questions...we all would have asked them when starting out in these forums.

1. Donk has been accepted here as a player with no clue...a fish.

2. Run a search on "Clarkmeister's Therom" - This is a great tool to add to your river play arsenal.

meep_42
03-30-2005, 07:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would have check-called the river. Why would he have called all the day down without either a flush draw or a K?

[/ QUOTE ]

He might even fold a King here.

-d

stevew
03-30-2005, 08:08 PM
Found it via search and include it here to save other newbies some time...

[ QUOTE ]

The heart of the oft-talked about theorem is your lack of position. Even when betting is -EV, it's less -EV than checking, since your opponent has complete control over whether you have to spend another bet to see a showdown. Sometimes you make money by losing less.

For those who don't know, the idea is that you should bet HU out of position when the 4-flush hits on the river. If you check, your opponent will usually check through most of the hands that you beat, but bet most of the hands that beat you. It means you've created a situation in which you're almost always putting chips into the pot with the worst of it.

Betting, on the other hand, puts him in a difficult spot. He's rarely raising less than a near-nut flush card, so you can safely fold to a raise most of the time. If he's a very LAGgy, you should plan to call. Along similar lines, some knowledgable TAGs might try to exploit the situation, so you need to decide whether to call or fold on a case by case basis. Against average opponents, it's an easy bet/fold.

In brief: You spend the same when you're behind (since you're prepared to fold to a raise), but don't miss bets when you're ahead. Villain also might fold a hand that beats you -- I remember a guy dumping a set to my pair of aces, telling me that he just couldn't call, and asking me which flush card I had. He might have been full of it, but he seemed proud of his big laydown.

When you're in position, it becomes a straight-forward value bet % + bluff equity calculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

cassady
03-30-2005, 09:12 PM
True, but what are the odds of:
a). Him having a K in his hand
b). Him folding a K here
c). Him having a diamond in his hand

Because I highly doubt that a x b &gt; c.

If I'm right, the EV of the check-call is higher than the bet.

QTip
03-30-2005, 11:20 PM
Nice of you...

QTip
03-30-2005, 11:23 PM
I think you're underestimating the bluff equity of this play. Put yourself on the other side of things and see if you'd call without the diamond...it's hard to do. I have tremendous results using this idea....just not this particular case /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

cassady
03-31-2005, 03:49 AM
I think if you search this forum you might find a reference for the Clarkmeister Theorem: If you are heads up, and a four flush hits the board, bet out no matter what you have. This definitely supports your instinct here. I haven't figgured out if i buy into it or not............