PDA

View Full Version : I think I should have folded on fourth., 10/20

BeerMoney
03-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Well, I'm addicted to PartyPoker, and I've been playing at stakes a little out of my league, I think. Anyway, this was my second hand at the table, and I was playing in the morning, and don't have much experience with the players at this table. the table was a little loose, so it seemed like it would be fun. My first 3 hands I was involved with were a disaster, and it seemed like the first time I had played poker.

Please tell me what you think about the third st. limp, the 4th street bet and call, and the fifth street call.

7 Card Stud High (10/20), ante 1.

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif__folds
Seat 2: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__calls
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif__calls
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif__calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif__calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__bring-ins (3)
Seat 7: xx xx K/images/graemlins/heart.gif__folds
Seat 8: xx xx Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif__folds

4th Street

Seat 2: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif__raises
Seat 3: xx xx 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif__folds
Seat 4: xx xx 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif 7/images/graemlins/club.gif__folds
Hero: J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif__bets__calls
Seat 6: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__folds

5th Street

Seat 2: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif__calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif__bets

6th Street

Seat 2: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif__bets
Hero: J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif__checks__calls

River

Seat 2: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2/images/graemlins/club.gif 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif xx__checks
Hero: J/images/graemlins/club.gif Q/images/graemlins/club.gif J/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/spade.gif__checks

lstream
03-30-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey Beer - I am assuming that most players at 10/20 know what they are doing unlike the guy you were playing against the other night, when I was watching. With that in mind, here are my thoughts:

third - I would complete, but it seems most people here don't like late completions like this. Given all the limping, I think I am ahead on third so I want more money in. I also want some equity in case I bet again on fourth with the intention of driving some of the limpers out.

fourth - I would not fold here. Seems to me villain either smooth called split aces or has a known second best hand (pocket 10's?) and wants to drive others out. The fact that you caught an ace, makes the later seem a little more likely to me. Either way, I don't think you are in terrible shape.

fifth - I think I would bet here too. Take a run at scaring him off with the three flush, or at least getting a better read of what he has.

sixth and seventh - I do the same, especially considering his weak response on fifth. Even with such weakness, your hand has not improved, hence easing up here.

Michael Emery
03-30-2005, 04:28 PM
I think its a must raise on third. You have a totally live premium pair with a strait flush kicker. Charge those limpers who probably have trash. With the ace waking up on fourth it very likely could be aces. Like you said though you have no info on any of the players. If you knew him to be soild you of course have a fold. I think its a bold raise if he dosent have aces, as you caught what should appear very well to him on fourth. Most players will have you beat here. All in all its a small pot, looks like he has aces, and while you caught his ace it only hinders you as it makes it harder for you to draw out. With that said however, if I've seen this opponent make any wild plays while I was at the table, I'm calling down.

Mike Emery

timmer
03-30-2005, 08:31 PM
an ace limps from early position the raises AJof a dead suit. I would venture that he had an OK hand quite likely the best hand. trip 2's some such hand is possible

CarlosChadha
03-30-2005, 11:50 PM
Hi All,

I actually think that against a solid player I would be more likely to call than fold because most solid players at this level do not open limp with split As, and are aware of the power of raising to get heads up in a multiway pot on 4th. Note that the hearts are quite dead, and since you didn't raise on 3rd, it looks like you are just betting your scary board on 4th.

On the other hand quite a few bad player try to add deception by limping w/ big pairs on 3rd, so the worse (and more passive) the player, the more likely I am to fold. Plus, to a less perceptive player, your board looks a lot scarier than it really is, so they would need more to raise you.

I don't like the check call on 6th. If you think your opponent is passive enough to give you a free card with a better hand, then they are passive enough that their raise on 4th should have scared you enough to fold. Since you plan on calling anyway, yuo might as well lead out in case you have the better hand.

Regards,
Carlos

Andy B
03-31-2005, 12:21 AM
I think limping on third is fine. Completing would have been fine too. Of course you bet fourth, but I see no reason to fold to the raise. I would bet sixth and check the river.

snowden719
03-31-2005, 11:15 AM
I can;t see any logical holding that villain has that is crushing you. Although he could have (22) A or split aces I think both of those hands come in for a completion to make it heads up. I think villain's most likely holding is somehting like (J K)A, or some other combination of three broadway cards. I think his raise on 4th is just trying to buy the pot, and even if it isn;t you aren;t in terrible shape against him. Folding 4th is way to weak here given that no holding that beats you makes a ton of sense here,