PDA

View Full Version : Herman Miller Aeron

kurosh
03-30-2005, 02:49 PM
What's so special about it? I just went to a showroom to check it out. I'm considering getting one fully loaded with aluminum. It ends up being about a grand. WTF? A grand for a CHAIR? Am I getting ripped off?

astroglide
03-30-2005, 02:57 PM
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/search.php?Cat=

Drunk Bob
03-30-2005, 02:59 PM
I sit on a 40 year old chair that came with a dinette set.

My ass is fine.

bonanz
03-30-2005, 03:00 PM
astroglide laying the smacketh down today

kurosh
03-30-2005, 03:23 PM
Since I already made this thread, I'd rather not bump up the old ones. My question is - is an aluminum aeron supposed to cost 1k or is it less?

cjx
03-30-2005, 03:28 PM
I highly recommend the aeron chair, but I doubt you need the aluminum frame. I used them at my former job and got one for home.

I can sit with NO disomfort, no shifting, perfect posture for 8 hours easy in one. Additionally if you are a particularly warm person prone to sweating the mesh fabric is nice and breathable. All chairs should be made of mesh fabric.

cjx

kurosh
03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
How much did it cost you? This local retailer is telling me $855 for non-aluminum but on ebay they're much cheaper.

cjx
03-30-2005, 04:01 PM
Got mine on ebay to the tune of about $600 all said and done I believe.

cjx

pyroponic
03-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Yes, I like my Aeron. It takes getting used to, but you'll be glad you own it. I got mine for $600, but i'm warning you, you WILL be harrased to no end once your friend's know you sit in a $1,000 chair! hehe

John's whoring blog (http://pyroponic.blogspot.com)

fooz
03-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I just picked up a leather Steelcase Leap last night for $500, and I've been sitting in it all day. They retail for $1200. It has more adjustment options than the aeron (for instance the seat and back can be adjusted independently), and I believe it's more comfortable. I used to use an Aeron at my old work.

The Aeron set the standard way back, but now the Steelcase Leap gets higher reviews across the board:
http://www.consumersearch.com/www/office/office-chair-reviews/fullstory.html

-fooz

djfooz.com

Terry
03-30-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Since I already made this thread, I'd rather not bump up the old ones.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don’t think he meant that you should bump old threads, but rather that you should read them first and then ask your questions here. There have been a few in the past four or five months about high-end ergonomic chairs.

Basically, there are three choices: Aeron, Leap, and Freedom chair. They all retail over $1000 but can all be found online for significant discounts.

After trying all three, I chose the Freedom chair. For me, the Leap was a very close second, losing out only because the Freedom has a high back with a headrest and can nearly fully recline while keeping your eye level constant. Personally, I didn’t like the Aeron at all – it was hell on my skinny butt – but those who like the Aeron tend to really really like it.

And yes, it was worth the money. I get out of the chair after 6 or 8 or 10 hours with no grunts, groans, moans, aches, or pains. Priceless.

mshalen
03-30-2005, 06:41 PM
There are tons of used high end chairs (take your pick of brand/style) for about $300. Just look in the phone book under office supply- furniture, call up and ask what they have used. Yeah you'll have to go to the worst neighborhood in town but to save $300 why not.

Doc
03-30-2005, 10:32 PM
Stupid question for the day:

Anyone have a good call on a chair for fat-asses like me? I weigh about 350 pounds and am using an office max special. I would be willing to lay out a grand for a chair if it would work well and/or be guaranteed to last a reasonable amount of time.

Thanks for all replies,

Doc