PDA

View Full Version : Slowplay Quiz

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:00 PM
Assume no straight draws, you are on the button and it's checked to you. Assume it's pretty favorable conditions.

I want to know if you ever slowplay with the specified hand. Do not include really read specific instances that make slowplaying correct. I'm looking for a more general response.

The idea is that each succeeding hand is slightly stronger than the previous.

TMFS9
03-30-2005, 12:12 PM
I think you need more choices to get anything of substance from the poll, specifically on the frequency of slowplaying versus sometimes or never.

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:18 PM
I don't know, I think an all or nothing will give us a basis for conversation. All polls are flawed to some degree.

Krishan

spider
03-30-2005, 12:19 PM
This is way, way, way too general to be answered. In particular, you have to consider pot size and the vulnerability of your top pair to overcards.

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:20 PM
That's why I said assume a favorable situation. To try and cover stuff like this.

Krishan

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:22 PM
I thought about having hand examples, but I didn't like that idea. Something like AK on button, 1 limper, you raise and BB calls. Check to you on a K82 rainbow flop.

Krishan

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:23 PM
To spark a conversation, I don't slowplay quads on the flop. And I think it's the correct play.

Krishan

Alobar
03-30-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To spark a conversation, I don't slowplay quads on the flop. And I think it's the correct play.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

but you slow sets?? This makes little sense. You are less likely to get action on quads than you are a set

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

but you slow sets?? This makes little sense. You are less likely to get action on quads than you are a set

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I figure this would get some action. Here is the thing. My questions was too vague. With large quads, I might slowplay. Often you end up with 22-88 going quads. I play these fast because you will usually get called by overcards. Sometimes you'll get played back at by pairs or draws on the turn when you bet in LP with a monster hand.

This is disguising the hand the other way. In my trip aces hand I raise preflop and I checked the flop to feign weakness. With quads, I'll be the flop to appear to try and steal the pot.

I wish I had to changed the question to "I nearly always slowplay quads". I do slowplay quads on occation though. Raise preflop with AA, flop quads.

Krishan

MAxx
03-30-2005, 12:41 PM
i don't really like slowplaying, in the sense you are talking about( the check, check type) too much. i'll do it once in a blue moon heads up.

i am much more likely to slow play (if it is considered slowplay) in the (bet, just call with intension of jacking later) variety

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i am much more likely to slow play (if it is considered slowplay) in the (bet, just call with intension of jacking later) variety

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This variety is better.

I think in spots the first can be used. Clearly I think there are more spots than most. So far, I'm the only person who thinks about sometimes slowplaying TPTK against 2.

Krishan

stir
03-30-2005, 12:46 PM
Just an observation.

Of 13 respondents at the time I looked at the results, 3 or 4 never slowplay ANY of these scenarios even considering favorable conditions. I find that pretty suprising.

If and when more respond, I wonder if that "never" percentage will be in the same range, or is it due to small number of respondents.

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 12:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just an observation.

Of 13 respondents at the time I looked at the results, 3 or 4 never slowplay ANY of these scenarios even considering favorable conditions. I find that pretty suprising.

If and when more respond, I wonder if that "never" percentage will be in the same range, or is it due to small number of respondents.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the things I want people to think about. If 2+2 books spend time on slowplaying than I think it's reasonable to try and work it into our game in favorable situations more often than never. (Or when you are a lock for the pot Over 95% equity)

Krishan

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 01:29 PM
Board: Ks 7h 2d
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 89.6605 % [ 00.89 00.00 ] { AcKd }
Hand 2: 10.3395 % [ 00.10 00.00 ] { random }

Board: Ks 7h 2d
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 89.2960 % [ 00.89 00.01 ] { Kd7c }
Hand 2: 05.3567 % [ 00.05 00.00 ] { random }
Hand 3: 05.3473 % [ 00.05 00.00 ] { random }

captZEEbo1
03-30-2005, 01:46 PM
I don't really slowplay anything...I find people are much more willing to call the flop with as little as 1 overcard or backdoor straight/flush draws then calling the turn with anything.

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't really slowplay anything...I find people are much more willing to call the flop with as little as 1 overcard or backdoor straight/flush draws then calling the turn with anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is really shallow analysis.

When you bet the river OOP, do you just consider the % time your opponent will call with a worse hand? Or do you consider, the % time he will call with a worse hand, the % time he will raise with a worse hand, the % time he will raise with a better hand, the % time he will bet with a worse hand if you check, the % time he will bet with a better hand if you check?

I don't see how people get away with saying, they call so bet. It's more complex that this.

Krishan

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 03:59 PM
Anyone else want to step into the ring (I am totally kidding here) /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Krishan

stir
03-30-2005, 04:18 PM
There are prolly much more experienced players who would disagree, but I think there is definitely a place for slow playing in the lo limit SH games that I play.

I can't quote hard data, but for instance, I slow play sets in this sense: check-call flop from EP, then c/r the turn. On occassion I have even had loose idiots misinterpret this as a bluff, 3-bet me and get capped.

Whether this line would be poor strategy at higher limits I cannot address.

Bluffoon
03-30-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Assume no straight draws, you are on the button and it's checked to you. Assume it's pretty favorable conditions.

I want to know if you ever slowplay with the specified hand. Do not include really read specific instances that make slowplaying correct. I'm looking for a more general response.

The idea is that each succeeding hand is slightly stronger than the previous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Slowplaying is not my default play but I will try it occasionaly if conditions are favorable with as little as top two pair.

I play 5/10 and down and I find that I am better off most times getting money in the pot, either by betting out, raising or checkraising. Maybe at higher limits you might have to slowplay more to get the money. Not in the games I play.

bobbyi
03-30-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This is way, way, way too general to be answered. In particular, you have to consider pot size and the vulnerability of your top pair to overcards.

[/ QUOTE ]
Where did the poll tell you not to consider those things? Of course you should consider them. We all agree on that. If your answer is that you would sometimes slowplaying, depending on those conditions, then pick the "I would sometimes slowplay" option. That's what it's for. Obviously, if conditions are such that you shouldn't slowplay then you don't. That's why the poll says "sometimes".

stir
03-30-2005, 05:02 PM
what he said.

Your Mom
03-30-2005, 05:06 PM
There are lots of times to slowpay. Top set on a board with a str. and flush draw against multiple opponents isn't one of them. ( I know where this post is coming from.)

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There are lots of times to slowpay. Top set on a board with a str. and flush draw against multiple opponents isn't one of them. ( I know where this post is coming from.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Christ, this post isn't coming from anywhere. If you are coming into this thread thinking I slowplay way too much and nothing of value to say.... just skip the thread.

It's really stupid to point to an individual hand of mine where you don't agree with my line. It's like your damaging my credibility and if you actually read the thread, I think there is some interesting dialog.

I'm probably overreacting.

Krishan

stir
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
You are (overreacting.)

Think about this... you have encouraged people to post and a dialogue be created in this thread.

Then someone posts who "takes a shot" at you and you go off.
What are the next 20 people to read this thread going to do? Post and take a chance you flare up again, or just lurk? Easy, easy choice.

krishanleong
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You are (overreacting.)

Think about this... you have encouraged people to post and a dialogue be created in this thread.

Then someone posts who "takes a shot" at you and you go off.
What are the next 20 people to read this thread going to do? Post and take a chance you flare up again, or just lurk? Easy, easy choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Overreacting it is!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Krishan

Your Mom
03-31-2005, 01:08 AM
I'm not trying to start a flame war here. I just feel that you couldn't accept that your slowplay in the other thread was wrong so you wanted to explore slowplaying even more. For what it's worth, I think slowplaying is very important at extracting bets. I answered that I do slowplay in every situation but one in your quiz.