PDA

View Full Version : Is being an affiliate legal?

TheFlopper
03-30-2005, 10:22 AM
Hello,
I am starting up a website where I plan to advertise poker sites. Possibly a rake-back site. Does anyone know if that's legal in the USA? I'm sure this is a gray area... but here is what I do know. TV media was told that advertising poker sites would be considered aiding and abetting an illegal activity... That's why when you see commericals for party poker, it's actually for www.partypoker.NET (http://www.partypoker.NET), which is suppossedly teaches you how to play. But I also know that american sites are advertising for poker sites (Like this one, which I assume is based in the USA).

Has anyone done any research on this topic? I know very little about the law. Is this a state or federal matter? Any idea what kind of lawyer I should seek out to find such answers? Thanks!

IsaacW
03-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Talk to a lawyer familiar with gambling and possibly international business law. Taking legal advice from an Internet forum is like taking poker advice from the MySpace poker forum.

astroglide
03-30-2005, 12:39 PM
http://www.gambling-law-us.com/

it's not exactly grey. it's profiting from promoting their business, which is a big felony in most states.

GoblinMason (Craig)
03-30-2005, 12:49 PM
Aren't some of the bigger affiliates based in the US? If so, are they worried about this?

pokerrookie
03-30-2005, 01:03 PM
I think he is right on. The government will go after those that profit from the promotion of gambling way way way before they will go after the illegal gamblers themselves.

GrannyMae
03-30-2005, 02:38 PM
But I also know that american sites are advertising for poker sites (Like this one, which I assume is based in the USA).

apples and oranges.

this site accepts paid (in advance) advertisements. this site is not for american's only.

if a reader clicks on a banner or classified here it is the reader's responsibility to assure he is not breaking the laws that govern his place of residence. it is not the responsibility of 2+2 to come to your home and check to make sure that YOU are not participating in any illegal activities as defined by your place of residence.

unless there were a global ban on internet poker, this site's owners are not even approaching a gray area.

if you create a site where you place your banners that link to online poker sites, and that is deemed illegal where you live then you are breaking the laws where you live.

if you create a site and sell ad space, this would not be illegal.

if you create a site that has banners that lead players to a poker room that pays you on a percentage of the player's play, then you are assisting, participating and profiting from promoting online gambling. if you set up a site where your banners lead to a site that pays you a comission for sending them new players, this is viewed slightly differently.

in any case, Isaac is right on the money when he suggests that you hire an attorney to help you interpret and structure your business so that you are not breaking the laws where you live.

GoblinMason (Craig)
03-30-2005, 02:43 PM
Granny, do you live in the US?

If so, how do you handle your profits from being an affiliate?