PDA

View Full Version : CFB freshman wants to turn pro. How can they stop him?

Clarkmeister
10-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Ohio State phenom Maurice Claret is talking about turning pro after his freshman year.

The NFL prevents any true freshman, sophomore or junior from entering the NFL draft. But I see no way that the NFL can stop him from entering the draft if he so chooses. Christ, we let little 15 year old girls play pro tennis. 18 year old boys play NBA hoops. Why is the NFL any different?

I hope he goes. Screw these colleges who make millions off these kids without them seeing any of it.

http://espn.go.com/magazine/vol5no22clarett.html

HDPM
10-17-2002, 04:55 PM
Yeah, good for him. The NFL should lose any legal challenge to that rule. We'll see if they do. Assuming someone can make any money at all in pro ball, college ball is a bad choice. An Ohio State scholarship has a value of maybe 20K per year including room, board, and recruiting hostesses. If he can make an NFL team he's a moron to stay.

brad
10-17-2002, 05:04 PM
its to disguise the fact that college football is nothing more than state subsidized NFL minor league.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2002, 05:21 PM
Very true. And that state subsidized NFL minor league itself, along with the state subsidized NBA minor league, subsidizes all womens spots, as mandated by federal law.

So in a way.....no NBA and NFL = No collegiate womens sports?

HDPM
10-17-2002, 06:06 PM
No, the schools that have big programs won't go to zero revenue even if the pros open the doors all the way. Most athletes need the time to develop, etc... And the schools that want athletic programs will still have them. It is immoral to spend taxpayer money on them, but that isn't going to change soon. Although one committee around here broached the subject in our current budget crunch.

B-Man
10-17-2002, 07:19 PM
As a sports fan, I'm surprised you are in favor of this. The flood of high schoolers, freshman and sophmores going to the NBA has hurt both the NBA and college basketball. I grew up watching the NBA in the golden age of the 1980s, when the players actually had some skills other than dunking. As a sports fan I hate when high school kids and freshmen go pro. It also sucks for the kids who think they are better than they are, give up their college eligibility, don't get drafted (or flop right away) and then have no college AND no pro career.

Legally, the NFL probably can not stop the kid from leaving college and trying out for the NFL. But I think its bad for most athletes (except the true stars who can make the leap), bad for college sports, and bad for the NFL.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2002, 07:33 PM
If its bad for the NBA and NFL, then they should invest in the infrastructure that MLB has. The NBA has started to do this, and so has the NFL. But neither has done enough yet. Besides, I'm not concerned about whats good for those leagues, I'm concerned about whats fair for the kids.

And I don't buy the "they leave too young, fail, and don't even have a degree to fall back on". Most colleges aren't even pretending to graduate their kids. So they become indentured servants with no real benefit. Its not like plenty of kids don't try and fail after 4 years of college, sans the degree.

The NBA players in the 80s may have had skills other than dunking, but none of them were defensive. The level of D played today is light years beyond what Bird, Magic, J, and the 120-115 era players ever had to face. Your point has some validity, as evidenced by the premium placed on European players in this years NBA draft. In the end, its a free market and the young players will do what is needed to do to make themselves viable to the NBA, or they will fall by the wayside.

And if the kids who don't want to go to school leave for the NFL, etc., I think that is actually good for college ball. College ball should stop being a mini-pro league and get back to being college kids who happen to play sports. I honestly don't mind if the overall level of play drops, if it makes the sport a bit more "pure".

I think the fact that (for example) the University of Miami (FL) can make thousands of dollars off of Ken Dorsey replica jerseys without him seeing any of it is a sham.

Sorry for rambling....

scalf
10-18-2002, 09:19 AM
/forums/images/icons/smile.gif religion...take a look at woody, kicking them yard markers, old arch running for a first down dragging half the other team with him...i think this osu back will bring the bucks back to a real #1....he'll get blocked on this one(disgracfully failing to contribute to TEAM<TEAM<TEAM<...lol..gl /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

bernie
10-18-2002, 01:58 PM
they can exclude him from the draft, but not free agency.

i think it would be a huge mistake for him to turn pro for the simple fact. he's not ready yet. if he gets on a team that doesnt have an offensive line worth a [censored], then we'll see how real good he is. and he may get swallowed whole by the veteran defensive lineman and end up in the fetal position sucking his thumb asking for his momma.

the kids see some of the millions....in scholarships, and post college play, if they make it. the college is inadvertently advertising the player also. it's not like theyre not getting anything out of it. especially if they make it to the NFL and make a shitload.

where else do they pay their dues? high school? yeah right
btw...remember, they volunteer to play for the school. they could get someone else to take their place in a second.

b

bernie
10-18-2002, 02:13 PM
"So they become indentured servants with no real benefit. Its not like plenty of kids don't try and fail after 4 years of college, sans the degree"

this is assuming every college player is going to enter the draft and try and make it in the pros. if they gain no benefit from college, thinking that being 2nd string the whole time that theyll make a pro team, and also not using the scholarship, that's their problem. not the colleges'.

indentured servitude my ass. id be happy to carry a clipboard for 4 years and get a nice free ride.

sorry i just dont buy in to the poor college player that doesnt know any better argument. they get out of college what they put in. with all the opportunities available to them at this stage, the college owes them nothing.

b

Clarkmeister
10-18-2002, 02:21 PM
He would win if he challenged the draft eligibility requirements in court.

Its not for you or I to say if he's ready yet. It is for him to take that chance, and for an NFL team to sign him....or not. That's the beauty of this country. People are given the chance to succeed......or fail.

Scholarships, for those that even go to class, are still a joke. I'd guess worth 25K on average. And they aren't allowed to work to earn any money either. The system is a horrible joke. The NCAA is a joke. The OSU football program earns tens of millions per year, and the actual players see only a tiny % of it.

Where do they pay their dues? What does that matter? Why does one have to pay dues? If someone wants to turn pro right out of high school, let them. They do it in the NBA. Some kids succeed, some more fail. But they have the right to make that choice, and receive the full benefit of their efforts.

Even high schools are cashing in on these kids now. Basketball phenom LeBron James' high school won't play road games without a guaranteed $15k appearance fee. Guess how much of that LeBron sees? You guessed it. What a joke.

"they volunteer to play for the school"

Some do. But most are recruited, soft soaped and begged to go to those big time programs. Why? Because getting those top prospects is like printing money.

Clarkmeister
10-18-2002, 02:25 PM
"With all the opportunities available to them, the colleges owe them nothing"

Exactly. And they owe the colleges nothing. As long as one of those opportunities is the opportunity to enter the pro draft, then there isn't a problem.

bernie
10-18-2002, 02:36 PM
"respect of an undefeated Buckeyes team that features 20 senior and junior starters"

many backs can run good with this kind of support on this type of team.

"and issues an emotional postgame apology to his teammates because he fumbled three times"

if he fumbles 3 times in a college game, imagine how prone he'd be in pro.

""You can always come back to school," says Clarett. "I don't think there's a job in the world where you're gonna make $113 million in 12 years. I don't think there's one job coming out of college paying that." "

some good points here....but in 12 years, there are jobs you can make $113 mil. not many, but there are some, depending on where you go after graduation.

after reading the whole article, id say he has alot more thinking to do before trying to turn pro. he's looking at the shortterm 'possibilities' and not at his developement stage.

BUT, hey, if he can go pro and make his mark now, more power to him....i just see the odds have him falling on his face more-so. we've heard somewhat the same deal with Reggie Williams up here in Washington. some say he'll leave after his sophomore season....i think neuheisal had a good quote about according to the press, he doesnt even have to show up for practice. yet he sees that he needs more developement.

what's funny is that even the senior/juniors going to the NFL really get an eye opening experience once they get there. itd be interesting to see a freshmans perspective on it.

i think he should wait, and try not letting others blow too much smoke up his ass...

b

bernie
10-18-2002, 02:59 PM
"He would win if he challenged the draft eligibility requirements in court."

as lax as the judicial system is for upholding anything, your probably right. but again, evenif he cant enter the draft, there are loopholes such as walking on and trying out via freeagency

"Its not for you or I to say if he's ready yet. It is for him to take that chance, and for an NFL team to sign him....or not. That's the beauty of this country. People are given the chance to succeed......or fail."

we can debate whether he's ready or not. nothing wrong with that. though you are right, its a little off subject as far as the main point. but i will express that opinion including the principles involved as part of taking a realistic approach to the considerations...

"Scholarships, for those that even go to class, are still a joke. I'd guess worth 25K on average. And they aren't allowed to work to earn any money either. The system is a horrible joke. The NCAA is a joke. The OSU football program earns tens of millions per year, and the actual players see only a tiny % of it."

im not sure how the finance/funding works for OSU....however, if they can make money and self sustain themselves w/o the help of taxpayers money to front the majority of the bill, let them. it benefits more than just the school.

"Where do they pay their dues? What does that matter? Why does one have to pay dues? If someone wants to turn pro right out of high school, let them. They do it in the NBA. Some kids succeed, some more fail. But they have the right to make that choice, and receive the full benefit of their efforts. "

i never said he didnt have the right to try it. he'll go for it. but the way this country keeps going, id be curious to see what happens should he fail. you know if more kids did this, and fail, eventually there would be a lawsuit, that would probably be settled out of court. since it wont be the kids fault for jumping early. the school shouldve done more to develop him and make him ready, thereby being negligent. that door will be opened eventually. i get tired of people acting without thinking it all the way through....then when they fail...WHOA its not my fault!!! THEY shouldve.......then the lawsuit ensues.

im all for running something up a flagpole and seeing who salutes it, but many younger people seem to neglect the fact that THEY are the ones who chose to run it up the pole. thus, if they fail, it's on them.
he may be different, who knows...

but that was a little off tangent, sorry

""they volunteer to play for the school"

Some do"

not some. ALL. they ALL volunteer. which can bring up another point about making a major decision. if theyre NOT all volunteering and are getting "recruited, soft soaped and begged "*, what makes their decision process any more mature or thought out based on 1 year.

* even if they are 'recruited, soft soaped and begged ' it's still their decision in the end.