PDA

View Full Version : 66 Hand late in Stars $109 tourney

Mad Genius1
03-30-2005, 04:03 AM
$109 Stars Tourney, started with 200, down to 40ish, top 18 pay. The table has a few monster stack but has been playing fairly tight for the most part. I pick up 66 in MP and open-raise to 500. Blinds are 100/200 with 25a. Folded to SB (G6Dragon, a very good tourney player) who calls. I have 3300 after the raise and he has me covered by a bit.

Flop comes down Q54 with two diamonds. He bets a weird amount like 465 and I raise to 1400. He thinks for a bit and calls. Turn comes an offsuit 4 and he checks. I push for 1800.

I think preflop and flop play is pretty standard. I can see an argument for folding preflop but blinds were about to hit 200/400 and more importantly were about to hit me. I figured this would be a decent spot to steal without committing myself too much if someone re-raised allin. On the flop I think I have to raise to find out where I am. My main concern is, should I bet completely done when he calls my flop raise?

Results to come.

03-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I think your raise is too small to be taken seriously by a good player who may intrepret it to be an unsure move. A standard of 3-4x BB would have been better IMO. I wouldn't seriously entertain folding PF and may limp for set value. The fact that he led out on the flop would have warning bells ringing in my ears and I may shutdown although he maybe semi-bluffing with a flush draw, thus his call to your re-raise and check on the turn when the flush didn't get there I like your push on the turn.

Hope it worked out.

Simplistic
03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
can't put him on a weak queen...perhaps on the flush draw, or OESD. curious to hear results. I don't mind the play

hurlyburly
03-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Fine raise preflop, but I think you should have just pushed the flop or only bet 1k into it, representing a stronger hand asking for action.

As it stands, I'd have to give him credit for top pair, as the only hands I see him calling PF, betting out and then calling the flop bet have you beat. 1800 into a 3kish pot gives him great odds with his likely holdings so I'd check behind on the turn and pray hard for a 6.

EDIT: Oh yeah, why did you decide to deviate from your original line? You specifically wanted to take down the blinds here, were you going off an earlier read?