PDA

View Full Version : ATo from EP

bicyclekick
03-30-2005, 02:46 AM
The table is off the hook. We've got exactly 3 players who have a clue and other than that a bunch of donks. There is a 32/15/1.4 behind me, a tight passive player behind him, a 42/9/.5 in mp, a 42/17/1.6 poster in the hijack, the co is pretty good from what I can tell, the button is the same but more aggro post-flop, the sb is a 46/17/1.18 and the bb is a 57/40/1.4 maniac.

I'm sorry to just go off with numbers and I know that will turn some away from the thread but it paints the clearest picture I think.

UTG must not have any paint or a suited hand so he mucks, I raise my ATo utg+1, mp2 (42/9/.57) calls, the poster folds, co and button respect my ep raise and fold, sb goes all in for a little more (which opens the action again) bb (maniac calls) I cap for value, mp2 calls, bb calls.

Am these donks turnin me into a donk too or would you guys be playing ATo the same way?

Schneids
03-30-2005, 02:53 AM
Are these guys gonna go "hmmmm BK just capped preflop I gotta fold now if I miss the flop." Doesn't sound like it, so why bloat the pot with a hand if it's best is barely best. Suited maybe, offsuit not so sure. I'd hate to see a ten high flop and because the pot is so damn big have them call me down with KJ and KQ to the river. Though maybe they were planning on it even if you don't cap. I dunno, it's probably close.

Your Mom
03-30-2005, 01:03 PM
I've been capping in this situation too when an all in guy opens up the betting. It feels right but it hasn't been working all that well. My ace high is getting called down by all kinds of crap. I still think it is the right play though.

PokerBob
03-30-2005, 01:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The table is off the hook. We've got exactly 3 players who have a clue and other than that a bunch of donks. There is a 32/15/1.4 behind me, a tight passive player behind him, a 42/9/.5 in mp, a 42/17/1.6 poster in the hijack, the co is pretty good from what I can tell, the button is the same but more aggro post-flop, the sb is a 46/17/1.18 and the bb is a 57/40/1.4 maniac.

I'm sorry to just go off with numbers and I know that will turn some away from the thread but it paints the clearest picture I think.

UTG must not have any paint or a suited hand so he mucks, I raise my ATo utg+1, mp2 (42/9/.57) calls, the poster folds, co and button respect my ep raise and fold, sb goes all in for a little more (which opens the action again) bb (maniac calls) I cap for value, mp2 calls, bb calls.

Am these donks turnin me into a donk too or would you guys be playing ATo the same way?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're gonna play it, you have to raise IMO, as you want no part of being OOP with this hand against solid opposition.

I think this is tough to play OOP ( at least for me). You probably have one of them dominated, but the others you probably have 50/50'ed. What is your plan postflop? Is this an esay check/fold if you don't like what comes off? Or do you fire one barrel regardless , hoping to drive away mp2?

bicyclekick
03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You probably have one of them dominated, but the others you probably have 50/50'ed.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are only 2 people left in the hand (well, there are 3, but one is all in and i'm not worried about him at all.)
1 guy plays 42% of his hands, the other, 70. How could I not be feeling great?

[ QUOTE ]

What is your plan postflop? Is this an esay check/fold if you don't like what comes off? Or do you fire one barrel regardless , hoping to drive away mp2?

[/ QUOTE ]

CHECK FOLD? WHAT? These guys have the burden of responsibility to catch up to me! Fire one barrel? Bet the flop, almost surely bet the turn, and evaluate the situation on the river. If the maniac goes off, see the river and fold to his bet because he doesn't bet anything I beat on the river (from what i've seen). If the other guy puts in a raise, depending on the board, see the turn at least and probably fold there unimproved. I'm not folding almost any made hands on this flop, that's for sure.

NMcNasty
03-30-2005, 03:45 PM
I think ATo is just a tad too weak to open with here (at good tables I fold AJo UTG+1). I think there's somewhere around a 50% chance you are dominated with ATo at a full table. Given that your table is horrible would be a reason to raise, but the fact that you will have horrible position on the subsequent betting rounds with an offsuit hand against an average of 3-4 opponents tilts the decision slightly toward folding. The preflop cap seems fine if your opponents are really that bad.

JasonP530
03-30-2005, 04:57 PM
I like the cap. It makes them play their hands more straightforwardly. I doubt you beat everyone with ace high though, and anyone is calling down with a pair.