PDA

View Full Version : worst pain ever??

kerssens
03-29-2005, 10:09 PM
I dislocated my kneecap a couple years ago...it hurt....after feeling that pain I refuse to listen to women complain about child birth. What's the worst y'all have felt?

slickpoppa
03-29-2005, 10:10 PM
a broken heart /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Isura
03-29-2005, 10:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wuss.

Chobohoya
03-29-2005, 10:18 PM
Strangely enough, my worst pain that I recall off-hand was last summer when I crushed my thumb. Nail's still growing out from that. Every time I did something that one would normally expect to be worse, dislocated shoulders, broken noses, etc, I've been in some sport environment and didn't really feel that much pain. Though wrestling two rounds with a broken nose is very -EV.

PS the answer to this has got to be kidney stone.

Ulysses
03-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Ripped apart all the ligaments on both sides of my ankle after kicking the ball at the same time as another guy while being tackled from the other side.

Tuco
03-29-2005, 10:21 PM
nose cauterizing.

Tuco.

wh1t3bread
03-29-2005, 10:23 PM
BLUE BALLS....

lu_hawk
03-29-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.lkw-stefan.de/galerie/baumaschinen_cat/1/797B.jpg

SCfuji
03-29-2005, 10:26 PM
shots in the mouth from el dentisto. i can take penicilin shots in the ass but not a shot in the mouth. never never never i hate them.

wacki
03-29-2005, 10:27 PM
http://www.rareads.com/scans/11309.jpg

kerssens
03-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Your avatar makes me happy.

nothumb
03-29-2005, 10:31 PM
Worst for me was going up for a rebound and coming down on top of another guy's foot. My ankle completely rolled over, with the ball touching the ground while my foot was flat. Way worse than getting stabbed or breaking a number of other bones. I was screaming obscenities on the sideline for the entire second half, until the referee threatened to give me a technical foul. We were down about 30 points at the time so I kept yelling.

NT

slickpoppa
03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it?

tdarko
03-29-2005, 10:35 PM
i tore my ACL, PCL and MCL and that was rough but still the worst (i have had tons of injuries) is my bout with migraines. nothing comes close.

jesusarenque
03-29-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh...I'll go with "no." You don't get it. Am I right?

TimM
03-29-2005, 10:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shots in the mouth from el dentisto. i can take penicilin shots in the ass but not a shot in the mouth. never never never i hate them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Get a new dentist. Mine does these with no pain whatsoever.

GrekeHaus
03-29-2005, 10:39 PM
When I was in college I tore my ACL, and that hurt like a bitch. However, that pain was only like a mild irritation compared to what came next.

With my torn ACL, I was playing whiffle ball in the hallway of my college dorm. I took a healthy cut at the ball, and without my ACL there, my knee slipped out of place. There's a piece of cartilage that is attatched to your lower leg bone called the medial meniscus. My upper leg bone caught on my medial meniscus and ripped 75% of it right off the bone. I could barely walk for days.

SCfuji
03-29-2005, 10:43 PM
its not the dentist. my dentist sort of pinches my cheek and wiggles the syringe into my gum but i am just really sensitive in and around the mouth. i think anything around the head area i hate 100x more than somewhere along the legs or arms.

nothumb
03-29-2005, 10:45 PM
Have him hook you up to the nitrous first. Mine does that. It's all on the insurance anyway.

NT

Reef
03-29-2005, 10:54 PM
the I- didn't- eat- enough- fiber- but- just- ate- 3- extra- spicy- burritos type of poops where it feels like the crap is about a foot in diameter and your anus has shrunken to the size of a pinhole.

a close 2nd is getting hit pretty hard in the balls.

CCass
03-29-2005, 11:04 PM
epididymitus.

End of Thread

ThaSaltCracka
03-29-2005, 11:14 PM
I had a kidney infection during my junior year of HS. I was pissing blood everytime I pissed for almost 2 weeks. It felt like a needle was going into my peehole everytime. Worst pain I have ever felt.

Sponger15SB
03-29-2005, 11:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
epididymitus.

End of Thread

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had that, My lump was only the size of like a peanut though and vicodin did the trick.

I'm guesing since you posted it here, it must have been out of control huge.

Phoenix1010
03-29-2005, 11:19 PM
kick in the nads.

gorgeous
03-29-2005, 11:20 PM
I have gotten a kidney stone (small but still not something to laugh about), and the worst pain I've ever felt was getting a root canal (2x).

Mike Gallo
03-29-2005, 11:22 PM
I had an anal fissure.

Nothing will ever compare to that pain. I have broken my left leg, broken ribs and have had a concussion. None compared to the fissure on my ass.

I have had a spinal tap and had a 107.2 fever. Lurker Fred G Sanford can back that story. It did not compare to the fissure on my ass.

fsuplayer
03-29-2005, 11:51 PM
kidney stone and waiting for 1.5hrs in the ER waiting room with a stupid triage nurse trying to convince me that my '10' rated pain was being caused by back spasms.

this was followed shortly by the best feeling ever: the pain meds. hitting my blood stream.

Matt Flynn
03-29-2005, 11:56 PM
had a few broken bones, rib, nose, thumb, finger, been operated on 13 times, been burned pretty good, done the pissing razor blades thing, had one migraine in my life, but for worst pain none of it compared remotely to once with these bad guatamalan ear drops (don't ask) that cut right through my left eardrum and simply lit the side of my head on fire.

fsuplayer
03-29-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
had a few broken bones, rib, nose, thumb, finger, been operated on 13 times, been burned pretty good, done the pissing razor blades thing, had one migraine in my life, but for worst pain none of it compared remotely to once with these bad guatamalan ear drops (don't ask) that cut right through my left eardrum and simply lit the side of my head on fire.

[/ QUOTE ]

i have to.

mr pink
03-29-2005, 11:58 PM
this dude i know was jumping down from the top of a set of uneven bars, it was an obstacle course race set up for this challenge at my high school. he was supposed to come down on a mat, his right leg came down in between from like a 9ft drop and landed flat on the gym floor. his leg bone busted through his skin in front of like 800 people. it was the sickest thing i ever saw. i'm sure it hurt pretty bad.

someguy2
03-29-2005, 11:59 PM
My junior year of HS I broke my hand when I got nailed by a 90+ mph fastball (from Delmon Young, who went on to be a number 1 overall MLB draft pick in 2003). My first broken bone and hopefully my last.

someguy2
03-30-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

???

PoBoy321
03-30-2005, 12:10 AM
I was weightlifting when I was a freshman in high school and pulled my back. It didn't just hurt when I pulled it, but I couldn't do anything but lay in bed for a month.

kerssens
03-30-2005, 12:12 AM
I've never had a kidney stone but when (not if) I get one it'll surely be replacing my knee injury as the most painful experience. That is if it has to come out naturally.

drdre2001mm
03-30-2005, 12:17 AM
Couple noteworthys:
1)The 3 times i broke my arm (Made the last one count broke it in 3 spots completely snapped the bone and I was about 10-15 minutes from having my arm fall off from what the doc said.)

2)While working I was putting a full propane tank(forklift size)back into the storage cage. While I was throwing the tank up on the 3rd rack my figer got caught under the rack and then the weight of the tank crushed my nail and I lost the nail and broke the finger.

3)Snowboarding(happened 2 weeks ago Saturday)Tried to boardslide a simple battleship rail. My back leg kicked out behind me and I went face(eye)first into the tip of the rail. Suffered a concussion and almost lost my eye.

That's all I have to share.

kerssens
03-30-2005, 12:19 AM
When I was a senior in high school I ran myself over with my mom's car and bruised some ribs...only hurt for a couple days.

7ontheline
03-30-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I was a senior in high school I ran myself over with my mom's car and bruised some ribs...only hurt for a couple days.

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell..???

Slacker13
03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Being a Wisconsin boy I was working for the summer cutting down trees fro my uncle. One day I took my 6'4" brother who had forearms like popeye with me. Well i was cutting away at a downed tree and the chain saw kicked back caught me in the knee, kicked again into the tree and back once again into my knee a second time. I yell to my very large and tough brother that he needs to drive me to the emergency room, he takes one look at my knee and passes out. So now I am draggin his ass to the car and have to drive (a stick shift) the both of us to the hospital. However that wasn't my worst pain ever, getting hit in the nose with a baseball was much worse.

kerssens
03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell..???

[/ QUOTE ]

This could fit in a "stupidest way to injure yourself thread".....The car didn't actually go over me. The brake release in my mom's car was broken so you had to reach under dash to release the break and to do so you have to get out of the car to reach. I put the car in reverse and realized that the break was set. Didn't put the car back in park so I was half in-half out of the car when it started rolling back. I almost reached the break pedal with my hand when the car pinned me against the divider between the two garage doors.

Luv2DriveTT
03-30-2005, 12:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dislocated my kneecap a couple years ago...it hurt....after feeling that pain I refuse to listen to women complain about child birth. What's the worst y'all have felt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Left elbow shattered into 6 places, 2 years after my left shoulder's rotator cuff ripped. Just call me righty for now on, ok?

Righty TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

lil_o
03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
the swizzle stick at the STD clinic, ouch!

brassnuts
03-30-2005, 12:42 AM
My dad had a few kidney stones when I was growing up; they sounded painful. I had bloodwork done a couple years ago, and, being high in uric acid, I'm looking foward to the same.

I've been blessed and have managed to stave off any real bad injuries. When I was 15, I was hit by a fast ball in the funny bone. Nothing funny about that. No permament nerve damage, but I was unable to move my fingers for about a week. Just trying to move them made my arm feel like it was being squashed by a 10 ton press.

Popinjay
03-30-2005, 01:12 AM
bone tumor directly on the hip. had to take so many pain killers i got an ulcer. good thing was when i finally got surgery on it i wasn't allowed to take pain killers. when i showed up at the hospital i was in the worst pain i've ever felt in my life, but once they hooked me up to an iv i got this synthetic super powerful drug. holy god it was amazing. literally 1 second after it was syringed into my iv i was the happiest person on earth.

ThaSaltCracka
03-30-2005, 01:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How the hell..???

[/ QUOTE ]

This could fit in a "stupidest way to injure yourself thread".....The car didn't actually go over me. The brake release in my mom's car was broken so you had to reach under dash to release the break and to do so you have to get out of the car to reach. I put the car in reverse and realized that the break was set. Didn't put the car back in park so I was half in-half out of the car when it started rolling back. I almost reached the break pedal with my hand when the car pinned me against the divider between the two garage doors.

[/ QUOTE ]owned.

LMAO.

bosoxfan
03-30-2005, 01:19 AM
i got my tonsils out last year. it was the worst week of my life.

gamblore99
03-30-2005, 01:21 AM
the worst I ever felt was after surgery for crohn's disease. Incredible pain and a lot of discomfort.

augie00
03-30-2005, 01:24 AM
icy hot on the balls and it's not even close.

nolanfan34
03-30-2005, 01:40 AM
The couple of days after getting my appendix out wasn't fun.

EliteNinja
03-30-2005, 02:10 AM
Wisdom tooth.
Took 2 hours for ONE.
It was growing sideways and wedged under the next tooth.
The root was deep in. Dentist had to cut into my gums, break into multiple pieces and yank it out piece by piece.

This was all done with local anesthetics. Each injection only lasted 15 min at a time.

Afterwards, it got infected and I had a fever and a sore throat so bad I convulsed every time I tried to swallow my own saliva.

Bled for a week.

Jaw was immobile, didn't eat for 3 days. Not even Jell-o.

Tylenol 3 only worked for like an hour.
Didn't sleep for 2 days because of the pain.

Fun stuff.

tinga81
03-30-2005, 02:31 AM
the stomach ache that follows after one or both of your testicles gets knocked around in the wrong way, or hit ..

you know what i'm talking about.

astroglide
03-30-2005, 02:34 AM
i think i mentioned some of mine in my huge childhood war stories post, but i've actually passed out from pain before. if you're still concious maybe it doesn't hurt enough.

Boris
03-30-2005, 03:56 AM
I compressed a disk between L4 and L5. I never want to go through that again.

JaBlue
03-30-2005, 04:07 AM
I had a pinched nerve in my stomach or something like that when I was in highschool. That's what my mom who's a doctor told me. The pain got so bad that I started losing my hearing and getting dizzy. I got really dizzy and started having tunnel vision at which point I asked the teacher if I could get out of class because I thought I was going to faint. She said yes. I started walking around and fainted about 15 ft. from the health office.

Mars357
03-30-2005, 09:43 AM
It started with a kidney stone and went down hill from there.

I was in so much pain I couldn't drink anything because I'd just throw it up (they like you to drink a lot when you have a stone to help flush it through). So they hooked me up to an IV and kept me in the ER for about 15 hours. This wasn't so bad because they gave me this wonderful drug called Stadol. About 16 hours into this, they did a CAT scan and saw that the stone was so big it would never pass on it's own so they prepped me and wheeled me into surgery.

The procedure involved going in through the hole in my dick, working a tool up through my bladder, and up the urethra to the stone. Apparently, the tool could be inflated with air to stretch the urthrea enough to pull the stone through (if you are wincing, it gets worse...)

After they got the stone out, they were concerned about infection so they inserted a catheter that had two channels in it, One allowed them to inject fluid to flush my works, the other drained that fluid. For those of you who don't know, cathators are held in place by injecting a small amount of fluid into a sort of balloon that is in your bladder. The doctor then notes how much fluid he put in. When they remove the catheter, they remove that fluid and the catheter slips out....

My Dr. filled my balloon with 15cc of fluid.....problem is, he wrote down 10 cc.....

Next day my nurse comes in to remove the catheter and removes 10cc of fluid, figures the balloon is empty and attempts to pull the catheter out of me (those of you following closely will realize that the balloon in my bladder still has 5cc of fluid in it). Obviously, it won't come out...her solution, PULL HARDER! I thought I was going to die and told her to STOP PULLING!

She calls the Dr. and they figure out there is still 5cc of fluid in the balloon and that she needs to get that out.... Problem is, in pulling harder, the nurse has damaged the seal that keeps the fluid in the balloon and can't get any more out of it.... She freaks and calls in the Dr who figures the only way to get this thing out of me is to run a wire up my penis and pop the balloon.

It felt like fish hooks were being run through my penis....but it worked...sort of... When the balloon pops most of the fluid runs out but not all of it. So the Dr. figures that if he pulls on the catheter, it will force the fluid out of the balloon. So he pulls and again, I cry out in pain... At this point he pulls VERY HARD and pulls the catheter out....my mom who was just getting off the elevators on the other side of the floor heard my screams....but it was out.

Problem is, it damaged the tubing in my penis. About 9 months later I had to have surgery to remove the scar tissue from the tubing in my penis because it was closing the hole and it was hard to piss.... after that surgery (my Dr....a different Dr....kept using the term "reaming" which I really didn't care for) I had to run a cahator up my penis each day in the shower for 6 months to keep it from closing back up...

I'm fine now but this was pretty hellish

Shajen
03-30-2005, 09:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Worst for me was going up for a rebound and coming down on top of another guy's foot. My ankle completely rolled over, with the ball touching the ground while my foot was flat. Way worse than getting stabbed or breaking a number of other bones. I was screaming obscenities on the sideline for the entire second half, until the referee threatened to give me a technical foul. We were down about 30 points at the time so I kept yelling.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same [censored] happen to me in high school. Went up for a rebound, came down on the top of dude's foot. My ankle bone hit the ground before my foot did. Loud pop followed by me trying to scoot my ass off the court. Didn't break it, but sonofabitch, it hurt. Had purple bruises up past my knee for like a month afterwards. Had to work that night too, was working at McD's at the time. Hoping around in the kitchen of a McD's is a crappy way to spend an evening.

The worst ever though was second/third degree burns on my arm from road rash. That [censored] hurt. It didn't hurt bad til the skin started growing back though.

Isura
03-30-2005, 09:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

apd138
03-30-2005, 10:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Really I was gonna post that I was a pussy cause all I got is a broken nose, an apendectomy, and motorcycle accidents.

miajag81
03-30-2005, 10:15 AM
Christ, dude. I think I would have punched that doctor in the face.

2planka
03-30-2005, 10:55 AM
I came out of anesthesia just as the catheter was being yanked from my unit. Not pleasant. I was also intubated.

Dislocated my shoulder. It hurt, but not nearly as much as un-dislocating it. Knocked the wind outta me.

But the absolute worst pain I've experienced was having a tooth drilled with insufficient novacaine. Nearly knocked my dentist's head off.

jakethebake
03-30-2005, 12:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I compressed a disk between L4 and L5. I never want to go through that again.

[/ QUOTE ]

My wife has two ruptured disks right now. She gets shooting pains down her legs. She says it's worse than childbirth.

jakethebake
03-30-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm going with obstructed large intestine. That's right I was constipated! But it was up higher in my system than normal constipation. Anyway, I made the mistake of taking a chemical laxative. My wife found me lying on the hallway floor moaning. I thought I was going to die. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

KJS
03-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Appendicitis. Totally crippling. Like bad constipation times 100. That and the catheter I got after surgery. Twice.

KJS

Jersey Nick
03-30-2005, 03:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Accident or on purpose?

M2d
03-30-2005, 03:32 PM
take two six packs and call your doctor in the morning.

jakethebake
03-30-2005, 03:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Accident or on purpose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Don't keep it in the nightstand next to the lube.

Dex
03-30-2005, 06:21 PM
Testicular torsion (twisted testicle).

Thankfully, they got me into surgery quickly enough that I didn't lose the testicle.

LethalRose
03-30-2005, 06:31 PM
umm...im pretty lucky as far as bad things happening to me. One time I was doing dumbbell press when my wrist decided it was no longer going to support the 80ib barbell i was trying to lift, so the barbell hit my wrist, then my arm went to the ground very fast, tearing something and making me almost pass out..i dont use dumbbells anymore

i would of dropped the weight but it was over my chest..that would hurt a lot more.

I also broke my wrist when i fell out of a tree a few years ago, that hurt.

yes im a wuss.

dabluebery
03-30-2005, 06:33 PM
Getting my nose re-set hurt 10x as much as it breaking originally (batted ball to the face), despite all the numbing crap they stuck up my nose to prepare me.

M2d
03-30-2005, 06:37 PM
1) in college. line drive up the middle (I was pitching). missed the bits and pieces by a couple of inches. still hurt like hell. I can only imagine what a nad shot would have felt like.

2) growing up, i was screwing around in a tide pool. evidently a moray eel though my thumb looked like food. evidently he also thought it tasted like food because he didn't let go. being 6 or so, I jerked away and came up with a shredded thumb.

gilper
03-30-2005, 06:53 PM
I've been bitten by dogs, torn my ACL twice, had severe ankle sprains, and dislocated my neck. But the worst pain would have to be the shingles. Nothing like an intense burning pain on one side of your body originating in the nerves themselves.

Sephus
03-31-2005, 12:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It started with a kidney stone and went down hill from there.

I was in so much pain I couldn't drink anything because I'd just throw it up (they like you to drink a lot when you have a stone to help flush it through). So they hooked me up to an IV and kept me in the ER for about 15 hours. This wasn't so bad because they gave me this wonderful drug called Stadol. About 16 hours into this, they did a CAT scan and saw that the stone was so big it would never pass on it's own so they prepped me and wheeled me into surgery.

The procedure involved going in through the hole in my dick, working a tool up through my bladder, and up the urethra to the stone. Apparently, the tool could be inflated with air to stretch the urthrea enough to pull the stone through (if you are wincing, it gets worse...)

After they got the stone out, they were concerned about infection so they inserted a catheter that had two channels in it, One allowed them to inject fluid to flush my works, the other drained that fluid. For those of you who don't know, cathators are held in place by injecting a small amount of fluid into a sort of balloon that is in your bladder. The doctor then notes how much fluid he put in. When they remove the catheter, they remove that fluid and the catheter slips out....

My Dr. filled my balloon with 15cc of fluid.....problem is, he wrote down 10 cc.....

Next day my nurse comes in to remove the catheter and removes 10cc of fluid, figures the balloon is empty and attempts to pull the catheter out of me (those of you following closely will realize that the balloon in my bladder still has 5cc of fluid in it). Obviously, it won't come out...her solution, PULL HARDER! I thought I was going to die and told her to STOP PULLING!

She calls the Dr. and they figure out there is still 5cc of fluid in the balloon and that she needs to get that out.... Problem is, in pulling harder, the nurse has damaged the seal that keeps the fluid in the balloon and can't get any more out of it.... She freaks and calls in the Dr who figures the only way to get this thing out of me is to run a wire up my penis and pop the balloon.

It felt like fish hooks were being run through my penis....but it worked...sort of... When the balloon pops most of the fluid runs out but not all of it. So the Dr. figures that if he pulls on the catheter, it will force the fluid out of the balloon. So he pulls and again, I cry out in pain... At this point he pulls VERY HARD and pulls the catheter out....my mom who was just getting off the elevators on the other side of the floor heard my screams....but it was out.

Problem is, it damaged the tubing in my penis. About 9 months later I had to have surgery to remove the scar tissue from the tubing in my penis because it was closing the hole and it was hard to piss.... after that surgery (my Dr....a different Dr....kept using the term "reaming" which I really didn't care for) I had to run a cahator up my penis each day in the shower for 6 months to keep it from closing back up...

I'm fine now but this was pretty hellish

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you're the winner.

Bukwurm
03-31-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I dislocated my kneecap a couple years ago...it hurt....after feeling that pain I refuse to listen to women complain about child birth.

[/ QUOTE ]
As a gal, I have to say only a guy could write that.

I've just finished reading the posts, and will list most of the excruciatingly painful things I have experienced:

1. Passed a kidneystone (Dec '81, Mtn Home AFB, ID)
2. Cavity filling w/out anesthesia ('73, West Berlin - the dentist didn't believe in it - seriously. First/last time our family went to him. He was also removed from Pan Am's approved list immediately - I was the first patient he had as a Pan Am "approved" dentist.
3. Waking up when 4th wisdom tooth was being cracked, prior to removal. I was on an IV anesthetic, and oral surgeon didn't believe me when I said I metabolized meds rapidly. ('80 - Chanute AFB, IL)
4. Waking up in middle of anal fissurectomy, for same reason as above. ('89 - Whiteman AFB, MO)
5. Waking up at tail end of breast biopsy - right when surgeon was removing one last cyst; for same reason as above. ('89 - Whiteman AFB, MO) {anyone noticing a pattern there?}
6. Spinal headache receved after #4 - was a week before the ER agreed I had something seriously wrong - by that time I was vomiting everytime I moved - at all - from a prone position. ('89 - Whiteman AFB, MO)
6a. Spinal headache after pre-op CT scan, etc, w/ contrast. (Aug '01 - Orlando)
7. Two days induced labor with my first daughter - in a hospital small enough they didn't do epidurals, etc - natural childbirth if you wanted it or not (and she was 8 lb 10 oz, w/ a 37.5 cm head {15 inches} - slightly above average, especially for a first child). This included getting a 4th degree episiotomy (which is through the muscle layer beneath the perineum, from vagina to anus), and STILL tearing - it was over 6 weeks before I could sit, unless I had a doughnut cushion. ('88 - Whiteman AFB, MO)
8. Breaking a molar in half on a Christmas cookie, while on alert, and having to wait 20 hours for my relief crew to arrive - the squadron commander thought it was something "minor." At the time I was a Flight Commander for the Minuteman II ICBM system, and was 95 ft underground, w/ my PMSy hand holding the key... <vbg> ('89 - 90 miles from Whiteman AFB, MO)
9. Tearing my miniscus, behind the right kneecap, then having to drive myself 90 miles to get home, as my company wanted me to see my own doctor. {I must have been in shock, as it made sense at the time...} (Mar '98 - Fairfield and Cedar Rapids IA)(For various reasons, it was a year before I could have corrective surgery, so this pain was a constant for 12 months.)
10. Ruptured C5-C6 and C6-C7, after a car wreck. (Mar '00 - Mar '01, when I had surgery - Orlando, FL)
11. Ruptured T11-T12, after same car wreck. (Mar '00 - Oct '01, when I had surgery - Orlando FL)
12. Collapsed cervical spine, due to failed spine surgery - Replaced discs w/ wrong size chips, and my neck collapsed into a skewed N shape when I took my hard collar off, three weeks post op. It's irreparable, so am permanently disabled, and on 75+ mg of various narcotics daily, as well as muscle relaxants, etc, to keep my pain level below a 7, for the most part. If I was medicated enough to be painfree, or only uncomfortable, I'd be incoherent. (Mar '01-present - Orlando and currently FL panhandle)
13. Migraines - the type that cause nausea, and can, on occasion, make you pass out. (Since I hit puberty, so about 1970 or so)
14. Sinus surgery, after cauterizing didn't fix the problems, and then having CT scans showing my problems were more widespread than initially believed. The entire process needs to be wrapped into one item. (Aug'96 - Pensacola, FL)

Absolutely none of these things (and I'm sure there are more - these are just the ones that come to mind immediately) hold a candle to:

15. After ANOTHER two days of induced labor, including 9 HOURS of transition (ask your wives, or any gal who's had a child what that means), my second daughter was just starting to enter the birth canal when her heartbeat dropped below 70. As they were paging for a doctor to get upstairs for an emergency C-Section (the AF used midwives at this base, even for a high risk pregnancy like mine, unless a C-Section was planned), the midwife had a few more nurses come in, and about 5 sets of hands pushed from the top of my abdomen, trying to force Elinore out before there was damage, or possibly, a stillbirth. They DID manage to force her out - all 10 lbs 14 oz of her - and before her heartbeat dropped below 50 beats (normal for a newborn is about 140, if I remember correctly).

The pain of this was so bad that the only way I can describe it is, on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the worst pain imaginable, and all the other above items ranging between 8 and 10, I would put Elinore's birth at 100. Seriously. I honestly thought I was dying at the time, from being ripped in half, and almost welcomed the thought, as it would maybe make the agony go away. In fact, I was torn again - and the damage was much worse than with my first daughter, and I never noticed it happening - it was about 12 hours before I was even aware of any discomfort from the tear, as the other pain was still overloading my circuits. Elinore was in kindergarten before I stopped having routine nightmares about her birth. ('92 - Shaw AFB, SC)

Very longwinded, but, a guy making the above comment about women and childbirth really p***es me off. The only reason I would say my first labor wasn't as bad as my spine damage (which was the worst of the above pains, excluding the births) is because, in labor, the pain goes away - completely - between contractions. Also, whn it's over, it really IS over - and there is a new life to compensate for the pain. The actual intensity of my first daughter's birth, however, was still greater than any of the other items mentioned, other than my second labor and delivery. I do understand the one woman saying the spine damage hurts more - it's a constant, and the lack of relief is overwhelming and has a cumulative effect. Also, most women nowadays get SOME pain relief during childbirth, even if only "to take the edge off."

Closest to the births and spine damage would be the kidney stone, which was also relatively shortlived. After that, I'm not sure how I would rank them. There are sharp pains, dull pains, etc - and all of them registered as "I want to pass out" pains, just in different ways. I can also remember all of them vividly, which is a negative side effect of an excellent memory. I do know that I would still have Elinore's birth at the top of the list, even without the final nightmare, as my body isn't made for 11 lb babies (I'm 5'6" and 115 lbs, with relatively small bones). But, the entire experience is so overwhelmed by the final few minutes of pain that nothing I can conceive of could be worse, other than, possibly, medieval torture.

kerssens
03-31-2005, 01:14 AM
That was a lot of words and I didn't read it all but I noticed that the original comments pi***d you off....OBVIOUSLY I was not completely serious with that comment and I have read a lot in this thread that completely destroys a dislocated kneecap.

Bukwurm
03-31-2005, 01:58 AM
Believe it or not, I've known guys who ARE completely serious when they say that. (Or how about the guy who said he knew what childbirth felt like, because his wife had gone through it? lol)

So, many apologies for taking offense. I wouldn't have rambled on as much if I had known you were being facetious.

I can truly say, however, with all the rotten things I've felt, childbirth - even the normal one - was the worst. But, since it is a pain with a value, or end result, or whatever, it doesn't usually matter as much afterwards. The new life puts it in perspective. In fact, I told my ex, when my first daughter was less than two minutes old, that I still wanted four children. (Changed my mind about that after Elinore...) It's the meaningless pain that really gets to you, as you can't rationalize it away afterwards.

theBruiser500
03-31-2005, 03:08 AM
i've never been injured but this jalepneo pepper in my eye felt pretty bad