PDA

View Full Version : Where I lose money

J_V
10-17-2002, 02:44 AM
This is a situation which I never seem to get right.

Five limpers, I call in sb w/ J-10o. with the Jack of hearts.

Flop comes K-10-10. Two hearts.

I bet. One EP caller. Of course this reeks of slowplay, but it could be QJ or a flush draw. I don't know my opponent, I can't even see him, this is online.

Turn is a blank. I bet and folded to a raise.
I feel like there is money to be saved here.

What should be my default play in this spot?

Dynasty
10-17-2002, 02:56 AM
You should 3-bet.

J_V
10-17-2002, 03:40 AM
Why would I three bet, when I am clearly no good?

Dynasty
10-17-2002, 04:13 AM
I don't think it's clear at all. You could easily have your opponent outkicked. He could also be raising with a King after the flush card didn't come on the turn.

10-17-2002, 07:38 AM
sit at my table
fold trips to a single raise
you won't win a pot

the almighty

Ginogino
10-17-2002, 10:22 AM
There are a good number of hands which he'd raise the turn with besides a 10 with a better kicker.

Ray Zee
10-17-2002, 11:16 AM
in addition to what the others said, you played it like you had a king. few people at smaller stakes, and in general, bet when they have trips on the flop. i say call and call on the river no matter what comes.

10-17-2002, 11:17 AM
Why not call? A 3 bet is not so hot, becuase you are going to lose fairly often (most of the time, I think). I know if I had a straight-flush draw, I would raise the turn against almost everyone. also notice that there are only 2 of these- QJs and AJs, so this possiblilty does not warrant a 3 bet.

I think you are usually beaten, by KK or a better T, but that it's probably worth at least seeing the river. You may also be against a deluded K, so why make him fold? If you would like to "randomize" your play here, I would fold if:
you have the J of flush AND (KTs is possible OR opponent frequently limps KK),

and call it down otherwise.

10-17-2002, 11:27 AM
no, even an old woman would have played it better.

Why in the world would you bet the turn if your intentions were to fold to a raise? this is horrendous play . .. call the raise and the river . . .if you're beat you're beat.

This guy does NOT put you on a 10 when you bet the flop . . . you sound like a weak player to me, and this fellow probably thought you had a K trying to force out the draws.

Only experts bet the flop with a powerful hand as Mr. Zee suggests (or wimps like the poster), because good players know that others will put them on a weak hand when coming out betting . . . weak players will think "if this guy a big hand (trips) he would slowplay.

Clarkmeister
10-17-2002, 11:58 AM
I'm going to echo what everyone else has said. By betting the flop, you are disguising your hand. So when you get raised, you cannot interpret your opponents action as meaning "I can beat the trips you have represented." Rather, he is saying "You've represented nothing , two pair at best, and while I don't necessarily have a monster, I can beat nothing."

When you play your hand in a deceptive manner, your opponents raises do not mean what they would had you played it in a "normal" fashion.

10-17-2002, 12:16 PM
Your trips are a very good hand here. If you were an aggressive player you would have checkraised the turn, but reraising is even better! He's representing a good hand, maybe a king, but it's unlikely he has you outkicked. Three bet him and bet out again on the river.

10-17-2002, 12:19 PM
you have to think what your opponent thinks you have. try to get inside his head, he puts you on a draw or a king...

skp
10-17-2002, 12:41 PM
Huh?

Okay...who knocked JV over the head and stole his computer?

I don't understand how in hell you could possibly fold. While I think that 3 betting may be overplaying your hand, you have an easy through ticket to the river. Don't forget that even if you are beat now, you likely have 3 outs to win and 6 outs to tie but the main reason you stay on is that the pot odds are there given your chances of being ahead when raised.

10-17-2002, 01:41 PM

J_V
10-17-2002, 07:54 PM
No wonder Dynasty said reraise......I wrote the flop wrong.

The flop was K-10-10, not 10-10-K.

Sorry about the mistake.

I would reraise had I had trips.

Dynasty
10-17-2002, 08:27 PM
The flop was K-10-10, not 10-10-K.

I would still reraise. You still have trips.

Was the flop K-K-10?

J_V
10-17-2002, 09:46 PM
what would you do if the flop was 10-K-10? Would you still reraise?

Lol, yeah the flop was K-K-10.

10-18-2002, 12:03 AM
Due to the imperfect shuffle and possible card clumping, these 3 situations are not identical. But hey, it's close enough.

angry young man
10-18-2002, 04:42 PM
what would you do if the flop was 10-K-10? Would you still reraise?

first time in ages I've actually 'laughed out loud' reading a post.