PDA

View Full Version : math help

skoal2k4
03-29-2005, 09:54 PM
How do I figure out what percentage of the time my hand beats x number of people?

example... I hold 6s7s and am up against 6 other people for all our chips. What % of the time would I win? I'm looking for reference of where to find help on how to figure this, or a program that will figure it for me.

MLG
03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
www.pokerstove.com (http://www.pokerstove.com)

skoal2k4
03-29-2005, 10:11 PM
i knew you were going to put that link up there...

I don't mind using that, but i'm a little confused with equity... do you even bother with that when you use the program?

MLG
03-29-2005, 10:20 PM
pokerstove doesnt really do well against 5 or 6 random hands, but you can calculate how it does against a possible collection of hands. So just pick some collections of hands you are likely to be up against. its the best method i have.

gergery
03-29-2005, 10:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
pokerstove doesnt really do well against 5 or 6 random hands, but you can calculate how it does against a possible collection of hands. So just pick some collections of hands you are likely to be up against. its the best method i have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, how much do you use Pokerstove for your "training"? ie. in researching to make better decisions at table?

And how many tourneys do you play simultaneously? or do you multitable ring games too?

--Greg

skoal2k4
03-29-2005, 10:29 PM
yes... me vs. 4 random hands takes FOREVER to finish. That's kind of why i was wondering if there was something else /images/graemlins/grin.gif

fnord_too
03-30-2005, 01:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yes... me vs. 4 random hands takes FOREVER to finish. That's kind of why i was wondering if there was something else /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Run it in monte carlo mode instead of iteratively. There is no way around the combinatorics, doing the caluculations iteratively is going to take a long time.

There are results from monte carlos about hands run hot and cold against 1-9 random opponents on the web too, I'm sure.

MLG
03-30-2005, 05:41 PM
I use pokerstove quite a bit when analyzing my play. For example, lets say I c-raise all-in on a flush draw and get called. I'll go back, figure out my equity against the range of hands I put him on. Using that I can get a rough estimate of how often the villain needs to fold in that spot to make my bet correct. I use it for tricky flop situations when I'm trying to figure out FE and implied odds to help me decide if my call/raise/fold could have been improved upon.

As for tourneys, I can't play more than two at a time on this rinky dink laptop I have at school. I'm very comfortable playing 3, if I can see them all, but 4 is slightly outside my complete comfort zone.

I don't play ring games at all, tourneys only.