J-Lo
03-29-2005, 09:43 PM
4-handed
blinds 100-200 they go up next hand to
UTG 1700
Button 3000
SB 550 after posting
me 1700 after posting

UTG has been not been stealing too much, but he will min raise once every other orbit.

he min raises UTG to T400
2 folds
i push w/ 99

i figured, i had more than him, he shouldn't wanna take a coinflip, short stack is very short... Was he already pot committed? i figured, if i lose, i still have 50 after folding my SB and might be able to eek into the money-- and if i win, i got a good chance at 1st. Results in white below

<font color="white"> He debated, and called w/ AT and caught.</font>

raptor517
03-29-2005, 09:58 PM
i would sit and think for about half a second before pushing all my chips in. if he pushes i fold though. thats the difference. holla

J-Lo
03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
so what you're saying is, if u were in his seat, you would push with MANY MANY MAHY hand, because i cannot call unless i have AA-JJ, AK and AQs

mcpherzen
03-29-2005, 10:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i figured, i had more than him, he shouldn't wanna take a coinflip, short stack is very short... Was he already pot committed? i figured, if i lose, i still have 50 after folding my SB and might be able to eek into the money-- and if i win, i got a good chance at 1st.

[/ QUOTE ]

My experience is that you have to beware limpers and min-raisers in this stage of the tourney. Sometimes they are setting traps with big hands, but this is rare. What I have found is common at this buy-in, though, is that late-game players who min-raise, usually don’t fold even their marginal holdings to an all-in push. Therefore, you'll want to push over the top of them when you rate to be considerably ahead because you'll get called often. Definitely don’t try to blow them out of the pot if you aren't prepared to race with your hand.

In the hand you posted, he isn't pot-committed, but like I said, he's probably not going anywhere either. So you shouldn't be considering whether or not HE would want to take a coinflip, but rather, would YOU like to take the coinflip now, because that's likely what you'll have if (when) he calls.

Under the circumstances, I like the stop-and-go here better than the pre-flop push, assuming the flop comes without too many overcards to your 99.

--Zen