PDA

View Full Version : Would you rather be a genius freak or average but well-rounded

Inthacup
03-29-2005, 09:27 PM
You have 2 choices:

1. You are a genius, but your genius makes you a social outcast and you're generally regarded as a weirdo(like Bobby Fischer for example). However, you have the ability to make ground-breaking advances in a specific field(physics, math, chemistry, music, painting, sculpting etc)

2. You're of slightly above average intelligence, but you're socially accepted, plenty of friends, attractive girlfriend or wife. You don't accomplish anything that advances society, but you do remain happy and content.

Some people may say 'I'd be a music prodigy and bang every backstage Betty I see'. That doesn't work. Assume your genius doesn't allow the normal alpha male desires. Assume that you prefer to be secluded and disliked.

kurosh
03-29-2005, 09:28 PM
From experience, let me tell you, you would much rather be #2.

nothumb
03-29-2005, 09:29 PM
I don't have a choice in this one. I wouldn't call myself a genius but I am definitely weird and isolated by my intelligence. But it's who I am and I wouldn't change it.

Now, if you could choose for your kids, I'd rather have a kid who's slightly above average, healthy, and happy.

NT

Sephus
03-29-2005, 09:42 PM
#2 and it's not close.

TStoneMBD
03-29-2005, 09:44 PM
#1. im not a genius, but i am intelligent. im not a total freak/outcast but i am to an extent.

i like it that way and id take it over #2 anyday.

zaxx19
03-29-2005, 09:50 PM
#2 is EV+ happiness wise.

Ulysses
03-29-2005, 09:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying being the number one puzzle pirate doesn't get you mad chicks?

kurosh
03-29-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying being the number one puzzle pirate doesn't get you mad chicks?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hooks are no good in bed.

Macdaddy Warsaw
03-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Psychology says #2. I agree.

lu_hawk
03-29-2005, 10:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't call myself a genius but I am definitely weird and isolated by my intelligence.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand this. Realistically, i know i am smarter than most people out there but I've never felt 'isolated by my intelligence' and I don't really see how that is possible in a normal person. Maybe you are just plain weird, and intelligence has nothing to do with it.

tdp
03-30-2005, 12:48 AM
I'm a #1 and I love it.I wouldn't say I'm a social oucast but mainstream types don't get me at all and I'm kind of greatful of that.
I'm a visionary artist and I've found that most folks whose worlds are programed by newspapers and flickering boxes don't like to have thier narrow view of the world challenged.I'm afraid that's my job.

eastbay
03-30-2005, 12:52 AM
#2 easily. I admit to tending towards #1, although not pathologically (I think.)

My wife is pretty hot, for example.

eastbay

PoBoy321
03-30-2005, 12:59 AM
Hmmmm, I could be really smart, really successful in one aspect of my life and have no friends, or I could have above-average intelligence, be successful in many aspects of my life and have an active social life...

How is this even a question? It's #2, end of thread.

wrto4556
03-30-2005, 01:00 AM
Im slightly above average and still a social outcast...so I'd take either or any day. but #2 would be my first pick.

Jazza
03-30-2005, 01:45 AM
#1, to me there's a certain appeal to being insane/weird, dunno why

istewart
03-30-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hmmmm, I could be really smart, really successful in one aspect of my life and have no friends, or I could have above-average intelligence, be successful in many aspects of my life and have an active social life...

How is this even a question? It's #2, end of thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you choose #2, you're not successful in many aspects of life.

EliteNinja
03-30-2005, 01:48 AM

but I'm probably in between.

ilikebigbets
03-30-2005, 01:52 AM
If you'd rather choose option #1 you're a fool because he explicitly says you're not happy and is there anything worse in this world than being unhappy? I'd rather be happy content with being ok at a bunch of things good family, decent job, etc. than to be a ridiculously genius in one aspect and lead a totally miserable existence because I can't relate to anyone and there is nothing I like other than one thing.

ilikebigbets

PoBoy321
03-30-2005, 01:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

How is this even a question? It's #2, end of thread. [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] If you choose #2, you're not successful in many aspects of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

Care to expand? I don't see how you could possibly consider yourself successful in any aspect of life without meaningful relationships.

nolanfan34
03-30-2005, 02:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you choose #2, you're not successful in many aspects of life.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/nolanfan34/CryingKidedit.jpg

TStoneMBD
03-30-2005, 02:26 AM
im pretty much a secluded outcast, and im very happy in life at the moment. so i dont know what youre talking about.

to each his own.

pshreck
03-30-2005, 02:29 AM
So far several people are thinking they are in the #1 class, and Im pretty sure the OP implied #1 was a genius who is truly amazing (can make ground through advances).

Hes not talking about people who are pretty smart and have no friends, so go on ahead and dont assume you fit into the #1 class and answer the damned question for real.

And I would take #2 anyday.

Shajen
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm a number 2.

There's no way I'm smart enough to be in the same class as a Fischer or an Einstein-level intelligence outcast. (Side note: isn't the supposed "world's most intelligent man" a gas station attendant or something?)

I'm pretty happy with my life, so 2 it is.

Why would anyone want to be unhappy?

The once and future king
03-30-2005, 09:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't have a choice in this one.

I wouldn't call myself a genius but I am definitely weird and isolated by my intelligence.

But it's who I am and I wouldn't change it.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

Move to Europe.

kurosh
03-30-2005, 09:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm a #1 and I love it.I wouldn't say I'm a social oucast but mainstream types don't get me at all and I'm kind of greatful of that.
I'm a visionary artist and I've found that most folks whose worlds are programed by newspapers and flickering boxes don't like to have thier narrow view of the world challenged.I'm afraid that's my job.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you are.

kurosh
03-30-2005, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So far several people are thinking they are in the #1 class, and Im pretty sure the OP implied #1 was a genius who is truly amazing (can make ground through advances).

Hes not talking about people who are pretty smart and have no friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

turnipmonster
03-30-2005, 12:27 PM
given a choice I'd much rather be #1.

Oski
03-30-2005, 01:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you'd rather choose option #1 you're a fool because he explicitly says you're not happy and is there anything worse in this world than being unhappy? I'd rather be happy content with being ok at a bunch of things good family, decent job, etc. than to be a ridiculously genius in one aspect and lead a totally miserable existence because I can't relate to anyone and there is nothing I like other than one thing.

ilikebigbets

[/ QUOTE ]

There is nothing in the OP that states option number 1 renders you unhappy. In fact, given the last line, I cannot believe that any choice will make a difference. "Assume that you prefer to be secluded and disliked."

What this means is that each choice offers you different traits, etc., but in the end, the personality associated with that choice leaves you just as happy as one or the other.

All the "negative" aspects of choice #1 are still PREFERENCES, meaning you desire to be like that. Thus, it is fair to assume you are happy given your preferences are fulfilled.

[ QUOTE ]
You have 2 choices:

1. You are a genius, but your genius makes you a social outcast and you're generally regarded as a weirdo(like Bobby Fischer for example). However, you have the ability to make ground-breaking advances in a specific field(physics, math, chemistry, music, painting, sculpting etc)

2. You're of slightly above average intelligence, but you're socially accepted, plenty of friends, attractive girlfriend or wife. You don't accomplish anything that advances society, but you do remain happy and content.

Some people may say 'I'd be a music prodigy and bang every backstage Betty I see'. That doesn't work. Assume your genius doesn't allow the normal alpha male desires. Assume that you prefer to be secluded and disliked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fred G Sanford
03-30-2005, 02:07 PM
Either choice would be a bonus for me...I am not that bright and regarded as a wierdo

M2d
03-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Am I the only one who's suspect of anyone who describes themselves as "visionary"?

daryn
03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
it takes a lot to bring lurker fred g. sanford out.

Jazza
03-30-2005, 03:22 PM
maybe i should start a new thread here, and maybe i shouldn't even bring it up since it's actually a serious question

but would anyone here stop at nothing in order to maximize happiness? does anyone think there is nothing more to life than happiness?

jakethebake
03-30-2005, 03:23 PM
where's the happy genius option? I always fint this depressed, unhappy genius stereotype funny. Yes there are some, probably many. But I know a lot more stupid people that are depressed and unhappy.

Somekid
03-30-2005, 03:39 PM
This post strikes me as some sort of subtle ego test. I found the description of possibility 1 fairly clear, and the number of people who identifiy themselves as eccentric geniuses in this post is funny. For what its worth, I'm weird and isolated without being smart. Too many people think they're geniuses because they're unhappy or don't have any friends.

ilya
03-30-2005, 03:49 PM
Genius freak, easy choice. Being a social outcast wouldn't mean I had NO friends, just that my friends were other genius freaks. Which is fine with me. But I often wish I was much smarter than I am, and I'm sure that this would make my life much more exciting and fulfilling.

Phoenix1010
03-30-2005, 04:05 PM
#1 easily. The world has enough Joe Schmoes and not enough Albert Einsteins. I've been both secluded (highschool) and widely socially accepted and liked (college-present) and I can say that having a bunch of friends isn't always all it's cracked up to be. Note that the phrasing of choice number 2 doesn't necessarily equate to happiness. Many friends are not so great, and a simply attractive wife isn't desirable by itself (what good is a supermodel wife if she happens to be a psycho who will make your life hell until she divorces you and takes your money? Good girlfriends/wives have more going for them than being attractive.) Even if I was guaranteed to be content as a #2 (I believe very few people in this world are truly happy and content) I would still gladly sacrifice that for a chance to be something greater than I am, and perhaps make a mark on history. Knowledge means a lot to me though, so I guess I'm just saying that I'd sacrifice contentment for enlightenment.

-Phoenix