PDA

View Full Version : Simple? Another line?

J-Lo
03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
this is a 20+2

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t880)
Hero (t800)
MP2 (t785)
MP3 (t1912)
CO (t800)
Button (t690)
SB (t785)
BB (t548)
UTG (t800)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls t15, Hero calls t15, MP2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t15, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (t87.50) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t75</font>, MP2 calls t75, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: (t237.50) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t120</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 raises to t375</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: t732.50

lastchance
03-29-2005, 08:54 PM
I think you've got to check the turn. The flush hit, the overcard hit, everything's bad. That said, your bet did allow you get away from your hand without losing too manychips.

Reverse implied odds kills you here. I think you should check the flop, with the intention of raising all-in if someone bets, but also to see what the turn card brings, and then you might be able to shut people out.

mts
03-29-2005, 09:14 PM
interesting way to play it... pretty bad :[

Voltron87
03-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Check the flop. You have one weak pair in a gazillion way pot. Most of the cards in the deck worry you and make the rest of the hand hard. If this were headsup I'd bet it, but since it's six way, just check it.

EverettKings
03-29-2005, 09:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think you've got to check the turn. The flush hit, the overcard hit, everything's bad. That said, your bet did allow you get away from your hand without losing too manychips.

Reverse implied odds kills you here. I think you should check the flop, with the intention of raising all-in if someone bets, but also to see what the turn card brings, and then you might be able to shut people out.

[/ QUOTE ]

The flush card/overcard very well could have scared him as much as it scared you. I stay in the driver's seat here and make him tell me to get out. If you check, and he bets 100, where are you? 89, A8, Ac5x, and a variety of hands (some that you beat, some that you don't) fire there, and you would have to concede the pot.

On the flop, check raising all in is an interesting option assuming someone makes a nontrivial bet, but if it checks around and the turn brings, say, a Queen? A baby club? A nine? You're probably done with the hand then too, though you missed a shot to take down the pot.

-Kings

gumpzilla
03-29-2005, 09:29 PM
It's still an overpair, and it gives him an openender draw. True, it's one card, but other people are less likely to be holding 9s. This seems like enough hand to be happy about to me. Is it vulnerable? Yes, which is why I think he should bet this flop here. You can easily get called by hands that are behind you, and I'd like to try and at least thin out some of the draws here a bit. Given the turn that came, I'm probably going to check/fold here, unless I have some reason to think that my opponent is doing something
fishy.

J-Lo
03-29-2005, 09:34 PM
Ah, so check fold the flop seems to be the consensus? What about my equity as of now... on the flop-- does that not matter, because it is a SNG, and the rest of the hand becomes very difficult to play? Check-fold the turn? Someone w/ A8 is gona bet if i check to them... do i take that chance?

But i do see checkfolding the flop as a fine play-- no need to risk chips early in a marginal hand.

Voltron87
03-29-2005, 09:36 PM
His hand is way, way, too vulnerable to bet into 5 other hands. Think of all the cards that could come off and make you think twice if you are called. Any over card, club, etc. Betting the flop makes this hand much harder to play than it should be. And if you want to protect it, what are you going to do, go all in? Bet 200? Get called, then have to go all in on the turn? That is a -EV line, its a win a small pot (no one has anything, you win 90 chips) or lose most of your chips (someone has straight/ 2 pair/ monster flush/OESD draw). Check it.

lastchance
03-29-2005, 09:39 PM
If the overcard hits, then you're done with the hand. The pot isn't too big yet, you don't much of a chance to win the pot right now, reverse implied odds screws up betting into this pot, and being all-in is great.

That's why I like CRing all-in. Having a scare card hit after you bet here would be pretty lousy, as noted, and again, with your OESD, it's not horrible to take a free one. The turn can still be bet too.

gumpzilla
03-29-2005, 10:44 PM
The amounts you are interested in betting here seem wildly out of proportion to the pot. The pot can be kept reasonably small while still discouraging some of the draws that are out there by betting an amount like the original poster did - just under the size of the pot. If I get reraised, there are a few possibilities: flush draw with overs, set, better overpair (highly unlikely given all of the limping, I'd think). We're about even money with the flush draw with overs, 65-35 against bottom set. Even the hands we hate (except for nasties like TT which, as I indicated, I consider pretty unlikely) aren't really spanking us that badly here, which indicates to me at least that this is a pretty strong hand.

Checking and seeing an overcard come pretty much guarantees that you're now drawing to at most 10 outs, and more realistically 7 if we take away the club outs, because you're letting all of the limpers stay in. Any club with that many limpers is going to be pretty highly unplayable. So if we check, I think it's going to be very difficult to win any pot here. Whereas if you thin the field to one person, as the original poster did, the only overcard that I'm virtually guaranteed to try check/calling (or folding if the bet is too large) with is an A, and I might play with them if a club falls depending on how they bet it, whether I think this is the kind of opponent that wouldn't fold the flush draw, etc. You don't think A /images/graemlins/club.gif 8 is going to stay in this pot for that bet?

So I raise the flop. If everybody folds and I win a small pot, that's fine. If I get reraised, I have a tough decision which is going to be pretty heavily influenced by who is making the raise, if it's a checkraise, etc. But I don't mind tough decisions from time to time. Checking this flop seems to be conceding defeat in this hand, when I think that the poster's holding is strong enough to try and extract some value here.

Voltron87
03-29-2005, 11:02 PM
To properly protect your hand (if it is even good, or a favorite) you would have to bet T200. What if you bet 100, and one person calls? Everyone else is getting 3-1 on their money after that. Those are good odds. The point is you have to bet so much to defend your hand the risk reward ratio is terrible.

Right here, in a 6 way pot, 99 is one extremely vulnerable pair you can't protect because of the risk reward ratio. There is nothing wrong with checking it, you are losing very little value since draws/overcards are so powerful here. You'll lose money betting this hand. If it were headsup, I would play it differently. But we're not, so I just check and fold. There is nothing wrong with admitting defeat after you limp with 99 and miss your set.