PDA

View Full Version : interesting 10-20 hand

mike l.
10-16-2002, 11:58 PM
i have AsKh in the bb in a loose los angeles 10-20 game. 9 handed. utg limps. he's good and probably a winning pro from all ive gathered. he just sits there and smartly beats this little game for a few hundred or more a week and ive never seen him play higher. i kind of envy his smarts in this respect. he limps utg. a fish limps and a loose fish raises, sb fish cold calls, i 3 bet hoping to maybe knock the limpers out and then hopefully narrow the field further on the flop if im against a weaker A. quite a parlay i know but i just feel AKo is too strong a hand, even out of position against such crummy players. anyway, everyone calls and 5 of us see the flop...

..which is very favorable to my hand. KT5 all spades giving me top pair top kicker and the nut flush draw. sb checks, i check, utg bets, limper folds, raiser calls, sb folds, i checkraise, utg 3 bets, raiser folds, i call.

the turn is the 4s. i check, he bets, i raise, he makes it 3 bets, i wait a second. then i peek at my hand, then i peek at the board, then i peek at my hand again. i make it 4 bets. he beats me into the pot making it 5 bets. i go to 6 bets and he folds.

analysis: i screwed up. when he makes it 5 bets he is saying that he doesnt believe me and he think his Qs is good. i am smart enough to send a reverse tell and get him to make it 5 bets in the first place but then i blow it by making it 6 bets. he has reads on me from previous sessions as being tricky and overly aggressive, but not particularly good. so his 3 bet makes sense here and his 5 bet after i send that reverse tell (which he doesnt at all think im sophisticated enough to attempt) makes sense as well. but i cant expect him to call a sixth bet. however if i call with feigned resignation when he makes it 5 bets and then either go for a checkraise on the river or bet into him on the river (deciding which to try would depend on whether the board pairs) i will ceratinly make at least one more bet and possibly 2 or even 3!

so there you go: i suck.

Vehn
10-17-2002, 12:21 AM
has reads on me from previous sessions as being tricky and overly aggressive, but not particularly good.

Interesting "reverse read" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10-17-2002, 02:27 AM
Was this 10-20 at HPC, if so, that's interesting b/c I have never seen that game as loose as you just described, I often refer to it as the tightest game in town. Anyway, I kind of think you basically got all you could out of that hand except for maybe one more big bet on the river which would have been the same as him calling your last raise. I wish I could suck like that and win that big of a pot in 10-20.

-D.J.

cybertilt
10-17-2002, 10:55 AM
mike,

I think you played it perfect. All the time I'm reading the post I have him on QJs. The pot is large enough and while you have the As there is always the 9 of spades out there. Take the pot now and don't screw around. You can get to cute trying to get one or two extra bets out of someone.

skp
10-17-2002, 12:48 PM
You know...I just don't understand this kind of ultra aggressive play I guess. For example, I have no idea why your opponent would three bet with the Queen of Spades. IMO, his only play when you checkraise is to call. If he is in the lead, why the hell would he want you out? If he is not in the lead, why the hell would he want to raise?

As for his 5th bet, well that's sheer lunacy as I see it despite your hollywooding.

The good news is that you played it real well.

andyfox
10-17-2002, 12:54 PM
You don't suck. I wouldn't have put him on anything other than QsJs, and I would have kept raising too. Usually when they put in that many bets they're going to give you a crying call and call again on the river.

What did he have? K-Qo with the Qs? He should have folded pre-flop when you 3-bet.

bruce
10-17-2002, 12:55 PM
I think you are over anlalyzing things here. You got some idiot to put Five big bets in
on the turn. What more can you ask for?

Bruce