PDA

View Full Version : Cap PF w/AKo vs SLPP and TAN?

DavidC
03-29-2005, 07:46 PM
party .5/1, 9 handed:

PF: blinds post, 2 folds, I raise with AKo, a fold and a SLPP calls, a fold and a TAN re-raises... blinds fold, hero?

----

I capped it, but I'd like to know why that's a good or a bad thing.

zeropotential
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I'm fine with the cap, esp. with the other guy in there with you: might as well take his money before the flop misses him / tie him to a big pot when you hit and have him dominated.

If this were heads up I'd shy away from the cap. I think that defines your hand to well against a thinking player, I'd rather leave him with questions

NAU_Player
03-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Easy cap.
Assuming TAN has AA-99, AKs-AJs AKo and KQs
and SLAA has a pair, an ace, a broadway, or a connector
your equity is 68% preflop

Pokerstove (http://www.pokerstove.com/) - my new best friend!

SCfuji
03-29-2005, 08:23 PM
i like the cap:

1) the SLPP will be throwing in more money with trash
2) good chance you have the best hand
3) you retake the lead in the hand and if the TAN wants to fight with a preflop capper on the flop you can be pretty sure he has a made hand and depending on the flop you can continue or fold safely.

DavidC
03-29-2005, 09:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i like the cap:

1) the SLPP will be throwing in more money with trash
2) good chance you have the best hand
3) you retake the lead in the hand and if the TAN wants to fight with a preflop capper on the flop you can be pretty sure he has a made hand and depending on the flop you can continue or fold safely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks, to you to zeropotential, and to The Cheat. /images/graemlins/smile.gif
(Although I don't think the TAN has 99 or AJs here.)

Here's my reasoning for the cap:

Vs. TT or QQ I'm a loser (not counting folding equity). Vs. TT _AND_ QQ I'm a winner.

My main fear in this hand is that SLPP guy has AQ or AJ, and it's really cutting into my odds against JJ/QQ, or that TAN has AA/KK. I guess I can't live scared though.

The flop ended up being jack-high, and the two of us check-called him to the river, where we both folded unimproved. I guess that the caller had something suited, though an unimproved ace is possible.

A thing that kinda bugged me about this hand is that if I hit the river, I must bet. He knows that I'm a TAA, and he therefore knows that I have AK (since I didn't play back at him yet), so he will check through if offered, unless I hit a K and he's got AA. When I bet and he raises, I'm going to be beat most of the time, but sometimes he'll have AK or be bluffing and therefore I must call.

Most of the time, I won't get two bets on this river when I'm ahead... /images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you'd like to comment on the hand and the river analysis, that'd be cool, although I can't remember the cards on each street, just that it was ragged enough for me to chase AK.

Also, what do you guys do when you're out of position and miss the flop? Do you bet it, then call a raise and fold the turn unimproved?

---

Fuji:
If I ever meet you, I'll have to say, "DAMN! You look nothing like your picture!"

DavidC
03-30-2005, 01:25 PM
bump

GrunchCan
03-30-2005, 01:35 PM
An interesting scenario.

If it were HU with you OOP to the TA in position, I'd want to balance the need to push an equity edge with how best to position myself postflop. For instance, if Hero called the 3-bet PF and the flop came A x x, there's a great opportunity to value CR somewhere. On the other hand, if Hero calls the 3-bet and the flop doesn't help, we haven't totally tied ourselves to the pot and can still get away. On the other other hand, AKx might have a thin equity edge against a button TA 3-bet, and I like pushing thin edges as long as I have them. I'm still undecided on the correct course here, but I think it is close.

HOWEVER the presence of dead money between Hero and the button swings this way on the side of raising for equity. Get as much money out of that victim trapped in between now, before he folds UI on the flop.