PDA

View Full Version : Reraising preflop with 97o

DeeJ
03-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Here the nutter on my right is almost all-in, and is playing something like 100% of hands and raising most of those /images/graemlins/grin.gif

How'd I do?

Paradise Poker 8/16 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $8.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button (nutter) raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, BB calls, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button (nutter) calls (all-in).

Flop: (10.12 SB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (5.56 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds.

River: (6.56 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: 6.56 BB

adamstewart
03-29-2005, 07:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How'd I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

horribly.

mikeyvegas
03-30-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How'd I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds about right. You can find better spots than 9 high to pull this move.

Harv72b
03-30-2005, 12:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How'd I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

horribly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Only attempt this isolation if you're sure that you can flop two pair or better. Few players have mastered that skill.

27offsooot
03-30-2005, 12:39 AM
You're committing yourself to a showdown with at least one player and you have 9 high.

Nick C
03-30-2005, 01:08 AM
Well, you are a slight preflop underdog versus a random hand (and it sounds like Button's hand isn't too far removed from that), but if you can manage to drive out BB, MP3, and the poster in the CO with your 3-bet, you will be getting almost 3:1 on the play.

I don't know how likely it is for the other players to be so cooperative, but it almost worked, and your aggressive flop and turn play did at least pick up a SB from the big blind to compensate for your initial investment.

I think the merit of the preflop play depends on how good your chances are of getting heads-up with the all-in player. You are running the risk of catching a piece of the flop and being tied to the pot versus a player with a hand who isn't all-in, so if I were making this play, I'd be hoping to have a decent chance to get heads-up immediately.

afk
03-30-2005, 01:21 AM
You have 97 offsuit.

Chris Dow
03-30-2005, 04:01 AM
Lol. Try fold. You have perfect position on a super idiot and you want to just give him money by isolating him with 9 high. Sigh...

ErrantNight
03-30-2005, 04:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You have 97 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

donger
03-30-2005, 04:07 AM
I wouldn't even typically complete the SB in an unraised pot with that piece of goo. Why would you want to isolate somebody who is almost all in unless your hand is a favorite? This would make more sense if it was A9o and not 97o. Are you sure you typed it right?

DeeJ
03-30-2005, 05:29 AM
Yes, I have 9 high.

[ QUOTE ]
you will be getting almost 3:1 on the play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. Worth a shot I thought.

The point was to isolate, yes, which worked as the flop was unlikely to have hit BB and will appear scary to him as I 3-bet preflop unless he has a Jack or 3, or a big pair, which I think is less than about a 25% chance.

I thought I had about a 50% chance of getting heads-up with the nutter by firing out again on the turn; the side pot just about covered my outlay. Then it was simply if I beat the nutter or not.

Nutter has K2o and takes the hand. But he showed down 62o previously and loses it all a couple of hands later with 63s.

I lost $2.

Chris Dow
03-30-2005, 06:21 AM
It's worse than that because when your isolation play fails you chip spew at the big blind trying to maximize your loses with ... 9 high. Not the correct time to do this at all. Poor play.

The Dude
03-30-2005, 06:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't even typically complete the SB in an unraised pot with that piece of goo.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not folding 97o from the SB in an unraised pot. Not if there's one limper, not if there's two limpers, not if there's 8 limpers. I am, however, folding it to a button raise, no matter how loose he is.

Chris Dow
03-30-2005, 06:29 AM
Agreed dude, you can take flops for half a bet out of the sb with 97o.

DeeJ
03-30-2005, 06:52 AM
The isolation play doesn't fail. I get both the EP and the CO poster to fold, leaving just the BB who is a decent player.

He doesn't know I have got 9 high, and I rarely bluff. He may well have KQs or AQs or AKs or ATs or 88 or 77 (that's the kind of hand I think he may call 2 cold with). If I was him I would put me on AJo/AJs or JJ or better, at the turn, unless he read my play as a purely isolation one which with the others in I reckoned he wouldn't.

If he doesn't have a Jack or overpair he's going to find it very hand to call a reraising player who bets into that fairly raggy flop.

That all said, it was marginal and I would have been happier if I had had a Queen rather than a nine /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Oh, and after the showdown he says "wtf?".

Chris Dow
03-30-2005, 06:58 AM
This play still sucks and is fundamentally wrong.

The Dude
03-30-2005, 07:03 AM
BTW DeeJ, I'm with the camp that says this play sucks.

DeeJ
03-30-2005, 07:03 AM
Noted /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carmine
03-30-2005, 12:07 PM
I make this play when the opportunity arises. However, the timing needs to be right. Button just lost one or two in a row and he just wants to get it over with. He will play any two cards at this point. If there were a few hands between his last loss and his raise then there is too good a chance he may have a legit hand.

I also need a little better holding than 97o. A little more high card strength. Q9 etc.