PDA

View Full Version : Hoping to take SNG playing to the next level

Rolen
03-29-2005, 07:30 PM
I've been playing a ton of all sorts of different forms of poker, and I believe i've found my ideal game with SNGs. I have fun, don't get too stressed, don't go on tilt and, most importantly, have a positive ROI in them. I also learn new things about them every day - I believe that once you stop learning about something, it's not that there's nothing more to learn, it's that you've stopped wanting to learn.

I'm serious about this and, at some point in the near future, I will attempt to play SNGs 'professionally'. To do this successfully I will need to improve my game in many ways. I believe I would benefit from some sort of 'mentor', someone who could review hand histories, point out areas of possible improvement, leaks, that sort of thing. Unfortunately that sort of thing is time consuming and you're all very busy people, so I wouldn't be expecting this for free - Some sort of profit sharing arrangement wouldn't be out of the question. I currently 4 table the $20 buyin SNGs at party poker with a ROI of 23% over roughly 1500 tournaments, and usually play 3-6 hours per day.

Thanks for your time, please let me know if you'd be interested /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Max - Aka 'RolenOnRiver'

Rolen
03-29-2005, 07:53 PM
Power flushed to page two within minutes! First and only bump..

microbet
03-29-2005, 07:59 PM
I think you should feel free to bump it once more in several hours for people who aren't online now.

J-Lo
03-29-2005, 08:13 PM
you've made over $7000 and still playing $20's?

TheUsher
03-29-2005, 08:23 PM
Why not move up to the 30's or even *gasp* the 50's? Experience is a great teacher and you'd have no need to share any profits.

1C5
03-29-2005, 08:32 PM
I agree, you are a proven winning player and have made $7000+ in profit. Give the 30s a shot or try 6 and then 8 tabling if you don't like the 30s.

Rolen
03-29-2005, 08:32 PM
A valid point, however right now I know for a fact I can grind out a decent profit at the 20s, which is important for me if I want to try to rely on my poker income. Be warned though you 50+5ers, I won't be too long /images/graemlins/wink.gif

raptor517
03-29-2005, 08:47 PM
please, start playing the 109s. with that 7k bankroll you cant go wrong /images/graemlins/wink.gif

BradleyT
03-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Stop playing like such a pussy.

And good luck.

Rolen
03-29-2005, 08:49 PM
Unfortunately my need for material possessions has set my 7K bankroll back some. But this new chair is SO comfy..

EverettKings
03-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I agree with what was said earlier. Yes, you know for sure that you can profit the 20's, but you owe it to yourself to make a run at the 30's (100-200 of em would be a good 'test') and maybe later 50s to see where you're at. Not only could you make a lot more money (seriously, investing 50% or 150% more on a similar ROI would be KILLER), but by playing some of the higher levels, your game improves in many other respects. It will be more complete, more deep, and more ready for the next level. Get em tiger

-Kings

1C5
03-29-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Unfortunately my need for material possessions has set my 7K bankroll back some. But this new chair is SO comfy..

[/ QUOTE ]

which one? I need a new chair!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maulik
03-30-2005, 12:23 AM
You always want to keep learning and you should, but you should never get too comfortable either. It seems reasonable that you consider moving up to the next level.

Newt_Buggs
03-30-2005, 02:37 AM
I've got a more difficult question. I've also been successful in the $20 SnGs, but have only played 285 with a 37% ROI giving me $2100. This gives me a large enough bankroll to move up to the $30s, but not enough data to tell me how well i really am doing. Do I need to wait and play as many games as Rolen to find out my real ROI and if moving up will be profitable?

beeyjay
03-30-2005, 02:50 AM
I think there is often a lot of emphasis on these boards on the idea that no matter how many tourneys you have played your sample is never statistically relevant type of deal. While I think this is normally correct when people post "I have played 20 tourneys and have an ROI of 65% is this sustainable" I think it is taken out of context in a situation like yours. After 300 tourneys I feel like you have a good idea of where you stand. Is your 'real' ROI 37%, probably not but I feel like you are winning and probably missing out on profit in the 30 dollar tourneys. Try inserting 1 or 2 into your sets of games and see how they feel. I would start with them on the weekends and at peak evening hours for the best results as they tighten up considerably during the day.

Newt_Buggs
03-30-2005, 02:24 PM
that was actually really helpful, thanks beeyjay /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Slim Pickens
03-30-2005, 02:32 PM
I'll second the opinion that you should move up as bankroll permits. Most of the proven long-term winners on this forum claim very little difference in skill between the 6's and 33's (although play style may vary some, overskill skill much less) so play what your bankroll permits. If you're not a winning player, you'll bust with any bankroll at any level. If you are a winning player, you almost certainly won't bust if you play the appropriate level.

Slim, who is taking his phatty-phat-phat 10% ROI to the 22's, biatch.

citanul
03-30-2005, 02:37 PM
Rolen,

I may be interested in being a mentor, I've been thinking about looking for mentees a bit lately. PM me if you're interested.

I'm most interested in mentoring players in the Chicago area, if any are around. But I'd do internet work probably too.

citanul