PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts?

Loci
03-29-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm trying to revamp how I play different parts of my game, and one of the holes I'm still having is how to play flopped trips(please note, not SETS). With two of the three visible, against competent opponents, do you feel is there a higher EV by the slow play or fast play? (naturally, much of this is player dependent, but assuming they have no read on you other than a similar competent opponent...)
Thoughts?

Ianco15
03-29-2005, 08:01 PM
Fast playing is the new slowplaying. Most mediocre players (who think they are good) would say to slowplay, and most good players would say to fast play. I don't know what most great players would say.

Ianco15
03-29-2005, 08:06 PM
To expand further:
The reason I think you should fast play is because many players will think you would slowplay flopped trips. They would not put you on such a strong hand if you played it strong. Also your hand isnt so strong that it is not vunerable. You need to bet for value and protection.

Sometimes the best way to play a hand is with no deception. This is especially true for small stakes where the players are unaware.

JinX11
03-29-2005, 08:30 PM
I say play em fast, especially if you're first to act.

I've found that most ppl will take you for betting and protecting two pair rather than trips (a perfect example might be you have Qx in the BB on a QQ6 board), and you'll get raised by people who either have the non-paired card (6 in the above example), a higher pocket pair than the non-paired card, or simply think you're bluffing a paired board.

It's been very rare than I havent gotten action by betting trips, even when I raise pre-flop with a hand like AK and flop KKx.

DISCLAIMER: I play 2/4 and 3/6; the typical donks that play there probably explain my observations.

johnc
03-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Play em fast and straightforward, esp medium & lower trips b/c they are rather vulnerable. Besides, I always seem to get some idiot to come along for the ride to the river, calling me all the way and getting lots of value.
Edit: that's my approach to lower limit, my approach to NL and tournaments is different.

Drunken Monkey
03-29-2005, 08:46 PM
Would special cases come up if there was a preflop raiser? This could create a posible check-raise chance. I always feel somewhat sick calling someone on a paired flop betting into me when I have raised preflop(unless I actually have trips myself).

Bluffoon
03-29-2005, 11:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
To expand further:
The reason I think you should fast play is because many players will think you would slowplay flopped trips. They would not put you on such a strong hand if you played it strong. Also your hand isnt so strong that it is not vunerable. You need to bet for value and protection.

Sometimes the best way to play a hand is with no deception. This is especially true for small stakes where the players are unaware.

[/ QUOTE ]

TStoneMBD
03-30-2005, 04:39 AM
depends where you play. ive found that at 3/6 slowplaying is the new slowplaying.

Verdi
03-30-2005, 07:23 AM
I'm not a great player by any means but I would say that it depends. It depends on the situation, the general spirit of the table and the reads you have of the players still in the hand.

In other words I would say that it makes sense to fast play it on a table with loose/passive players. I would also play it fast against loose/aggressive players. Chances are that you're going to get reraised here...

Against tight/aggressive players I would try to induce a bluff though if I'm in early position as that would be about the only way to earn some money from this hand.

Against tight/passive I guess you won't get any money no matter how you play it.

Obviously you should also always play it fast if there's an obvious draw out...

Hattifnatt
03-30-2005, 07:46 AM
In general, its best to play it fast IMO.

For example... You have 76s in BB in an NL game and someone in early position makes a big raise preflop that you call.

The flop comes 662, the newbie check this one 95/100 times, but the best play is almost always to make someting like a Pot sized bet and if foe has a big overpair he will certainly raise you and you can reraise, then he is commited...

ACW
03-30-2005, 07:57 AM
If you don't fastplay trips you diminish your fold equity when you bet out with overcards, overpairs or when you pair the other card.

I'm not suggesting you should always bet out with these hands, just that I think you lose EV on when you do lead out with these lesser hands if people know you always slowplay a set.

Zetack
03-30-2005, 11:13 AM
Ah heck, it just depends. More often than not I like playing these strongly, but there are certainly plenty of situations where I'd wait for the big bets.

jpg7n16
04-01-2005, 04:33 AM
Fast play

Me make heap biggem pot