PDA

View Full Version : Calling PF raises from LAGs

chopchoi
03-29-2005, 06:03 PM
I basically know when to call PF raises. I don't call them with hands that are often dominated like AJ and KQ,or with semi-trash hands like Axs or suited connectors.

However, I am not sure how I should respond when the raise comes from a LAG. For example, I was recently at a table with a player who raised pre-flop about 1/3 of the time. I know his raises don't mean anything, so should I be willing to call his raise with any hand that I would normally be willing to play for a single bet, or do I still need to be tighter, since I'm still paying more to see the flop?

Here are a list of hole cards. Suppose you are two off the button. The LAG has raised first in from early position, and one player, who will call the LAG's raise with any hand he would normally limp in with, calls. The players to act after you are fairly loose. You expect at least one more caller. What would you do with the following hands?

A /images/graemlins/spade.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif
A /images/graemlins/heart.gifT /images/graemlins/heart.gif
A /images/graemlins/heart.gif6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif
K /images/graemlins/heart.gifQ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
K /images/graemlins/heart.gifJ /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
3 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif3 /images/graemlins/club.gif
7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/club.gif
J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifT /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

k000k
03-29-2005, 06:09 PM
Those are all pretty junky hands to be calling a PF raise with.. I think I'd fold all of em. Wait for the goods. If it was folded to me, I might 3-bet some of those if I was pretty sure I could isolate him. You dont really wanna be in multiway with those hands... A few are close, but I still fold cuz you won't be able to get double the $$ later, so why pay double to get in..

@bsolute_luck
03-29-2005, 06:23 PM
because you have a caller between you, fold. if it gets folded to you, reraise to try and get it isolated. if you think players behind you will coldcall regardless, fold with the hands you have listed.

Aaron W.
03-29-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, I am not sure how I should respond when the raise comes from a LAG.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until you're a dominant postflop player, fold your weak hands, 3-bet your strong hands. When there's a caller in the middle, remember your hands need to be even STRONGER than if it were folded to you.

[ QUOTE ]
I know his raises don't mean anything, so should I be willing to call his raise with any hand that I would normally be willing to play for a single bet, or do I still need to be tighter, since I'm still paying more to see the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

A lot of this depends on how he plays postflop and how well you can adjust to his game. If he's a psycho-LAG preflop, but plays a solid postflop game, you don't want to get involved. If he's just a maniac, you probably don't want to get involved without good hands (unless you're ready for some crazy swings). The short answer is not to get involved without the goods.