PDA

View Full Version : Reading Strategy

Saggitarius
03-29-2005, 04:24 PM
I have had WLLH for about two weeks now. Haven't red so much yet thoug. I won some money (got wery lucky I gues) and decided to buy some more books. I ordered ITH, SSH and TOP.
Since I am a beginer and I have never red poker books befor I want to ask: how shall I red them? Shal I memorise all of the starting hands or shall I just look them up when I play? The same gose to after-flop play. And shall I play while I am reading or shall begine to play after I red one of them?
Thank you!

FishHooks
03-29-2005, 05:20 PM
no memorization required, read the books, play about 5k hands, then read the books all over again. For most people the first time you read the book and you try the concept you usually are confused and aren't really using the right methods. Just keep rereading the books, after 10 times you'll still get something usefull each time. IF there is a particular section you dont understand just go back and read that. I think the proecting your hand chapter is proboly the most important to understand in those books.

splashpot
03-30-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Shal I memorise all of the starting hands or shall I just look them up when I play? The same gose to after-flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

At first just memorize the hands. After you have a little experience, don't stick strictly to the recommendations from the books though. Try to understand WHY a hand is valueable. WHY can certain hands make money from late position but not from early position? WHY are certain hands only good after 3 players have limped ahead of you? You have to think about these questions and adapt your game accordingly. Sticking strickly to a chart will only get you so far in poker.