PDA

View Full Version : Slowplayed AA

MrEngenic
03-29-2005, 03:29 PM
I thought that if he's got a piece of this flop he's not gonna fold it if I raise, and if he doesn't I will call him down and let him bluff the whole way. The only thing I was scared of was a diamond or the turn pairing the board. On the river I figured two pair, a straight and trips as unlikely so I raise for value.
What do you think of this play, is it reasonable or terrible?

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. UTG posts a blind of $0.5.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (5.75 BB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, UTG calls.

Final Pot: 9.75 BB

zram21
03-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I don't like this line. You are almost certainly ahead at this point. Why allow your opponent to make a flush, straight, or improve to two pair cheaply on the turn? At the very least raise the turn, but I like just raising the flop better here.

jaxUp
03-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I play this straightforwardly. I don't slowplay overpairs. Ever. Slowplay a nut flush, a full house, maybe a set on a drawless board, and even then, only if fastplaying will do something like force the field to call 2 cold. This wasn't an awful slowplay, given that it's HU, but it's pretty unnecessary.

Isura
03-29-2005, 03:35 PM
I would raise the turn.
If you think villian is on a draw or has a T or Q, he's going to call the raise, and he's pay off on the river too with a T or Q most of the time.

Yobz
03-29-2005, 03:39 PM
There are *very* few people I would take this line with. I would have to have a good read (300+ hands) on them being VERY aggressive on a bluff and folding to the slightest hint of aggression back. In that case, I wouldn't raise the river, though...

DoctorDrew
03-29-2005, 03:41 PM
This board is a little too coordinated. I'm pushing a here.

cigarzfan
03-29-2005, 03:56 PM
You will get crunched over time slow-playing aces like this on microlimits. As other said, you are allowing straights and flushes to pan out with this play.

Kevin K.
03-29-2005, 03:58 PM
It worked out okay this time. But in general, slowplaying AA is a bad, bad idea.

benkath1
03-29-2005, 04:36 PM
I would call the flop about 50% of the time.

Turn, I raise at least to find out where he is.

If he 3 bet the turn, then I call the river.

Ben

Thigh
03-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Dude, the board is entirely too scary to slow play. Don't slow play these hands.

KaiShin
03-29-2005, 04:43 PM
Bleh. The turn is a blank, raise it.

k000k
03-29-2005, 05:09 PM
Overpairs, even on an UNcoordinated board, play em fast. Villain could have a made str8, set, 2pair, OESD, or a flush draw. There's a couple big cards on the board that go real well with a PF raiser's hand, and he's still betting into you. Overpairs aren't even close to locks. If you raise the flop and he folds, that's ok.

Wait til the turn to raise? NO! If he hits something that beats you, he's gonna 3bet you back. you'll be out 1 sb on the flop, and 2 on the turn. IF you fold. If you dont, you're out 3 on the the turn and 1 more on the river, cuz you can't fold there. 4.5bb. Raise the flop, if he 3bets you there and you call down, you're out 2.5 bb tops. If he calls you and leads the turn when a /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, board pair, or str8 filler hits, you can call down for and out 3bb. 4.5 on a single overpair sounds like overplay to me if he's pushing a PF raiser out of position..

Rev. Good Will
03-29-2005, 05:13 PM
I don't like the flop, raise it

MrEngenic
03-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I guess nobody liked this play at all =)
I don't like the subject name slowplayed. It's not really a slowplay, more of a passive play. I was thinking like this:
The board is scary, yes. The better to just call him down and not scare him away if he doesn't have it. I weighted this with the prospect of gaining a few small bets by raising if he was on a draw.
I figured I would call this down no matter what (well, almost).
I shouldnt have raised the river though. If he was on a draw he wouldnt call my raise. I only raised because two mega blanks fell.

He had Kh Qc.

Kevin K.
03-29-2005, 06:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I guess nobody liked this play at all =)
I don't like the subject name slowplayed. It's not really a slowplay, more of a passive play. I was thinking like this:
The board is scary, yes. The better to just call him down and not scare him away if he doesn't have it. I weighted this with the prospect of gaining a few small bets by raising if he was on a draw.
I figured I would call this down no matter what (well, almost).
I shouldnt have raised the river though. If he was on a draw he wouldnt call my raise. I only raised because two mega blanks fell.

He had Kh Qc.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to raise this river. He wasn't on a draw and he DID call your raise. The only reason not to bet here would be if you think there's a good chance that he will have the best hand. That's not the case. Raise away.

What do you lose if he doesn't call because he's on a draw? You can't check to him, you've got position. You just calling closes the action.