PDA

View Full Version : I dropped a limit and it sucked... How do you do it?

Sasnak
03-29-2005, 01:59 PM
After a number of solid sessions and feeling as if my game was back on track with the bankroll getting back to even, I went on another s-l-o-w downward spiral over the past two weeks - and am back to being down 200BB's overall.

In reviewing PT, and having someone else look over a few sessions we determined I did make some overcalls which were questionable and might have been a bit aggressive on some nut flush draws which missed. But overall, my play was decent and the inevitable 2-outers killed me on a small number of large multi-way pots. I'm also attempting to play a few more hands out of the blinds and getting HU isn't the best part of my game! So that cost me quite a few BB's too. (Not beeyatching about the downswing either, I can handle that and know about variance and playing st00pid at times!)

So I decided to move from 1/2 to .50/1 and retool my game while clearing the latest PP bonus. GAWD was I bored plus I got 86o'ed to death. After clearing the bonus with a bit of profit I went back to 1/2.

When I very first moved up in limits to begin with it was nerve-wracking. Then I became used to it and got into my game. Now, unless I get close to dropping my 1000BB roll at 1/2 I plan on staying here because dropping down a limit seemed to take me out of my game. I wanted to play more hands (read LAG) OOP, get more aggressive, etc. It seemed to change my style and most importantly my thinking for the game. With the smaller limits I seemed to want to become looser with my play.

Does anyone else get these feelings when they've dropped down a limit or two? And how do you handle it?

Sixth_Rule
03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
My big drop was from 3/6 to 2/4. I was up to 350BB for 3/6 i took 50 out and quickly dropped 130BB in two days i then moved back for what i thought would be a temporary time but then lost 100 more BB at the lower level. things leveled off but i need some of the profits i make form poker. It was a very slow climb back to 3/6 but i have since taken out around $4000+ and still have around 500BB for 3/6 i plan on sticking around 3/6 for a while while i try to make enough money to blow in vegas on the canadian long weekend.

Whenever i lose confidence in my game i just slow down. read up on some fundemetals and ask the good people here for advice.

nykenny
03-29-2005, 02:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone else get these feelings when they've dropped down a limit or two? And how do you handle it?

[/ QUOTE ]

recently i have been running bad, quite bad. so first, i escalated to multi-tabling 30-60, from 15/30...

when that didn't work out (continue to run bad, ok i refuse to admit i play bad), i dropped to 15/30...

after days of struggling at that, i decided to take my good buddy's suggestion: "step down and play 10/20!"...

while 8 tabling 10/20 was much calmer and less stressful, i still couldn't turn to much profit (i suck now?)...

so eventually, i decided i will give 5/10 a try. and that's looking better so far!

in any case, I have played equally tight throughout 5/10 to 15/30, but i am a notch tighter at 30/60. according to party status window, i see flop about 18% on average in ring games. according to PT, i have a VPIP of 14% or so.

so yes, u can play roughly the same, even if u go down many limits.

by the way, if i go down to .5/1 i might be LAGGY, however. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BusterStacks
03-29-2005, 02:55 PM
I have a hard time keeping a vpip over 14 at the 5/10 or 10/20 games. Seems like there are far less chances to get in hands after 1 limper, big drawing hands after several limpers etc. My VPIP at 5/10 is like 12.5, a full 2 points lower than 3/6. I dunno how you do it.

bernie
03-29-2005, 06:53 PM
First off, don't let the limit itself dictate your play. Let the table do that.

The only factor in my mind when roaming limits is my bankroll. However, if I feel Im not playing well, I might move down to sort it out. But Im still not altering my play due to the limit. Im just trying a cheaper way of finding my problem regardless of what limit the problem developed in.

Make sense?

b

Siingo
03-29-2005, 07:11 PM
One time, when I had a hugh downswing at 2/4, did I do a stepdown to .5/1 to get on track again. I did not step down becaus of banroll but becaus I was not sure about my play anymore. First was I laggy like XXXX (more than usuall) but then I decided to start think about BB instead of $. That helped me!

JoeyJoJo Shabadu
03-30-2005, 12:30 AM
Um...that doesn't seem like much money... is this a forest for the trees thing?