PDA

View Full Version : Howard Lederer's SnG guide

faquewdikhed
03-29-2005, 01:29 PM
http://teamfu.freeshell.org/tournament/howard_lederer_sitandgo.html

"If you can just get to third, you get at least one-third of 60% of the prize pool, or 20%. You've locked up a profit, and you have a chance to win up to 30% more. It's only now that you're in the top three that your strategy should take an abrupt turn. Now it pays to gamble for the win. Let's look at the numbers again: 60% of the prize pool is off the table, and moving up one spot is worth only another 10%. But move up just one more spot and it's worth a whopping 30% extra -- that's three times more for first than it is for second. And with the blinds going up, gambling for the win is even more clearly the correct play."

So basically he's saying you should place either 3rd or 1st? This "make sure you get into 3rd" strategy seems to conflict with the conventional bubble play described by many users on this forum, no?

stupidsucker
03-29-2005, 01:39 PM
I will let you in on stupidsucker info.

How you play the bubble IMO depends on how other people are playing the bubble. There is a balance of too much aggression and too little. Sometimes you can glide into the money, sometimes you have to work hard for it. The key factor is how aggressive are your oppenents AND how loose are their calls.

Yes there is a time and place for pushing your stack around, and sometimes the correct play is to let everyone else battle. More often then not you will have to make a few steals.

rohjoh
03-29-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

"If you can just get to third, you get at least one-third of 60% of the prize pool, or 20%. You've locked up a profit,

[/ QUOTE ]

It is precisely this type of thinking that makes the push/blind steal bubble play so successful. IF your opponent is playing just to make the money, they are an easy target, and I just hope they are sitting to my left so I can benefit from there style of play.