PDA

View Full Version : Do i call

DireWolf
03-29-2005, 01:24 PM
PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG (t3910)
MP (t1090)
Button (t2035)
SB (t2440)
Hero (t4025)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to t1065</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero?

Calling will not cripple me at all. Villan has been pretty lag, though im likely beat preflop with my queen high, there is a decent chance he has 9-10s or something like that.

jah0550
03-29-2005, 01:27 PM
I hope this is a joke, because if you call here I'd be laughing my ass off. DONT CALL. There is no reason to call with Q high here.

DireWolf
03-29-2005, 01:31 PM
what qj is a premium hand

rickr
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
PUSH (Assumed this was a joke post) /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Later,
Rick

proell
03-29-2005, 01:37 PM
if the big blind were double what it is then a call would be correct. At this point it is too early to make a call like that. MP has a better hand than you every time.

faquewdikhed
03-29-2005, 01:45 PM
Decent raising hand, bad calling hand.

Protect your stack. Use it to your advantage.

DireWolf
03-29-2005, 01:52 PM
yea i know, im real drunk right now and its only 11:50 in the morning. and im alone. hmm this is sad.

Phil Van Sexton
03-29-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
MP has a better hand than you every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, this is not true unless there's a read that I don't have.

Second of all, you don't need to have the best hand to call here. With the blinds included, the pot is 1390 and you have to call 890 more.

You only need a 40% chance of winning to make this a +EV call. I'm too lazy to do $EV, but I'm sure its similiar given your large stack.

If you people who said "fold" all played together in a SnG, it would take hours because nobody would ever call without AA. There's no shame in calling if it makes you more money.

That being said, calling depends on your read of the opponent. The blinds are coming up for the shortstack, so I'm guessing that he'll push with a lot of hands and therefore I'd call. You can do pokerstove to get an exact % for different ranges.

Here are a few hands that he might have...
A3o (http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&amp;b=&amp;d=&amp;h=qh+js%0D%0Aah+3d) =43.17%
88 (http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&amp;b=&amp;d=&amp;h=qh+js%0D%0A8h+8d) =46.29%
ATo (http://www.twodimes.net/poker/?g=h&amp;b=&amp;d=&amp;h=qh+js%0D%0AAh+Td) =40.69%

Edit: I missed the part about the opponent being "pretty lag". In this case, easy call.

rickr
03-29-2005, 02:04 PM
Why not fold and push next hand with any 2 cards? You'll get your blind back and small stack will be in the exact position he is now.

Later,
Rick

Phil Van Sexton
03-29-2005, 02:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why not fold and push next hand with any 2 cards? You'll get your blind back and small stack will be in the exact position he is now.

Later,
Rick

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not call and push the next hand with any 2 cards?

rickr
03-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Well, if you call and lose, you have doubled up the small stack, and reduced your folding equity against the other big stack who will be SB next hand. If you still have the 4000 chips next hand and push SB would have to go all-in to match you, where he wouldn't (even though he'd have to risk a large part of his stack). How should the fact that the other large stack is acting after you effect your play here?

Thanks,
Rick

DireWolf
03-29-2005, 03:21 PM
it was folded to me

Phil Van Sexton
03-29-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well, if you call and lose, you have doubled up the small stack, and reduced your folding equity against the other big stack who will be SB next hand. If you still have the 4000 chips next hand and push SB would have to go all-in to match you, where he wouldn't (even though he'd have to risk a large part of his stack). How should the fact that the other large stack is acting after you effect your play here?

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right that losing chips is bad. I'd prefer not to lose chips. However, if I have a 45% chance to win 1370 and I only have to risk 870, that's a good deal. I'll deal with the consequences once the smoke clears.

Here's another way to look at it. If I do the math and find that calling gives me an EV of +100, I'm giving away 100 chips on average by folding. Why am I giving the small stack 100 chips for free? This makes no sense.

You can come up with all sorts of reasons why losing 870 chips would be bad. None of these make up for the fact that I will make 100 on average here.