PDA

View Full Version : somebody post a puzzle already

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 12:43 PM
preferably a logic heavy puzzle as im not too good with any type of advanced math
thanks
work svcks
that is all

beerbandit
03-29-2005, 01:01 PM
There are one thousand lockers and one thousand students in the school. The principal asks the first student to go to every locker and open it. Then he has the second student go to every second locker and close it. The third goes to every third locker and, if it is closed, he opens it, and if it is open, he closes it. The fourth student does this to every fourth locker, and so on. After the process is completed with the thousandth student, how many lockers are open?

cheers

chaas4747
03-29-2005, 01:10 PM
Not going to come up with total answer, but here is how you do it in white

<font color="white">Number of perfect squares between 1 and 1000 </font>

jason_t
03-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Results in white below:
<font color="white">Label the lockers 1, 2, 3, etc. A locker will be open if and only if its label is has an odd number of divisors. Only the perfect squares have an odd number of divsors (every divisor of a non-square n is paired with a different divisor of n) so the only lockers that will be open are labeled with perfect squares. The answer is thus the number of perfect squares between 1 and 1000, inclusive.</font>

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 01:30 PM
wouldnt that be 31? or is that too easy?

DMBFan23
03-29-2005, 01:33 PM
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre> Dim i As Integer 'i will be the ith door that student n is currently on
Dim n As Integer 'n will be the student currently opening doors

n = 1
i = 1

Dim doorindex As Long

For n = 1 To 1000
For i = 1 To 1000
doorindex = i * n
If doorindex &lt;= 1000 Then

If wksht.Cells(n * i, 1) = "c" Then
'open it
wksht.Cells(n * i, 1) = "o"
Else
'close it
wksht.Cells(n * i, 1) = "c"
End If
Else
GoTo nextkid
End If
Next
nextkid:
Next </pre><hr />

gives 31 doors, all the squares.

jason_t
03-29-2005, 01:53 PM
Meh.

spamuell
03-29-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
GoTo

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo.

jason_t
03-29-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
GoTo

[/ QUOTE ]

Boo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here, I agree. However:

Rubin, Frank. "'GOTO Considered Harmful' Considered Harmful" (letter to the editor), Communications of the ACM, vol. 30, no. 3 (March 1987), pp. 195-6.

mmbt0ne
03-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Did you just bust out code for a logic problem? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose.

I agree with boo GoTo. That was 10th grade VB6 man, you're better than that.

Duke
03-29-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm still stuck on bOOOm's puzzle.

http://zestriddle.fanzine.pl/zest_riddle/hollow/thesky/willfall.htm

~D

DMBFan23
03-29-2005, 02:09 PM
no but the logic answer is prety straightforward as jason and the other dude pointed out, so I just felt like writing some code.

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm still stuck on bOOOm's puzzle.

http://zestriddle.fanzine.pl/zest_riddle/hollow/thesky/willfall.htm

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the puzzle?

DMBFan23
03-29-2005, 02:12 PM
"Break" from C++ didnt work, and I didnt want to look up the VBA equivalent. so I GoTo-ed. oh well /images/graemlins/grin.gif

EDIT: it's "Exit". you guys motivate me to learn more than work does. sad but cool.

Duke
03-29-2005, 02:18 PM
Figure out the answer and try it in the url (replace willfall).

http://zestriddle.fanzine.pl/

That'll get you started if you want to do them all.

And if I knew the answer to 53 I wouldn't have posted it.

~D

Sporky
03-29-2005, 02:24 PM
i can't even get the first one.

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the puzzle?

beerbandit
03-29-2005, 02:34 PM
damn, you made it far

i think i quit at 10, do the other levels work there way to this one

im was still working on the movie puzzle

cheers

Duke
03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
whats the puzzle?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's part of the puzzle. You see what I see (images and html), and you're supposed to figure out from all of that what the "answer" is, and you try out answers by making it the "next" url (replacing the XXXX.htm part with ANSWER.htm (all lowercase)). It's more of a riddle.

~D

Duke
03-29-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
damn, you made it far

i think i quit at 10, do the other levels work there way to this one

im was still working on the movie puzzle

cheers

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't ever get all of that tough movie puzzle, and I've been working on these on and off ever since b000m posted them.

There was one that took me a week (off an on) to get.

~D

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 03:13 PM
i dont understand what the puzzle is?
#53 says where am i? are we suppose to guess where?
#1 says deep? so?
how do i get to number 2? did i get #1 right?
these might be interesting if i knew the rules?

PokerNoob
03-29-2005, 03:28 PM
"i" shouldn't be 1 to 1000. "i" should be "n" to 1000 by "n". Then you can just refer to your array element, worksheet cell, or whatever as element "i". There's probably an elegant way to turn all this into a recursive function call, but I'm too dumb and lazy to figure it out.

chaas4747
03-29-2005, 03:45 PM
How many movies do you have left?

beerbandit
03-29-2005, 03:53 PM
here is where to start (http://zestriddle.fanzine.pl/hints.htm)

its a puzzle/riddle -- each picture gives you clues, to make it to the next level

copy and paste the pic in paint, you can rotate it and zoom in this helps sometimes

cheers

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 04:03 PM
ok somebody tell me the answer to number 2 so i have an idea the type of answers we are looking for
also, i cant hear an ymusic, does that matter?

DMBFan23
03-29-2005, 04:09 PM
"i" should be "n" to 1000 by "n".

creating doorindex and setting it equal to i*n functionally does this, but I agree that there's much room for optimization here. but I give you credit for not taking the obvious road to bashing my weak coding skills and going after the GoTo command. I am owned. I should have learned by now not to post in brainteaser threads. but no, I just cant stop...

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 04:19 PM
imnot kidding
whats number 2?!?!?!?!
the logical answer should be "one" even though they spelled loneliest wrong, or is that some sort of stupid clue? regardless, i need the answer!

beerbandit
03-29-2005, 04:22 PM
original thread (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Number=1862460&amp;page=&amp;view=&amp;s b=5&amp;o=)

i cant remember, or id help --- if i remember ill tell

there might be something in the thread

cheers

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 04:25 PM
deeper? that makes 0 sense
how do you get deeper as an answer?
#3 better make sense or im gonna be really angry

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 04:30 PM
ok 3 appears stupid as well
i think you need to be a mentalcase to figure this out

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 04:47 PM
ok theyre apparently all stupid
im not wasting more time on this

beerbandit
03-29-2005, 04:48 PM
im still laughing

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]

im still laughing

[/ QUOTE ]
at?

Duke
03-29-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
#1 says deep? so?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 says deep. Change one.htm to deep.htm

then you get #2.

Continue like that. All lowercase, and there's a "hint" page that tells you the base rules. The hints can be anything, from hidden things in the graphic, to things in the html, to other images you find, to text files, excel files, psds, and everything.

Try things out and you'll get more red-letter hint pages if you're on the right track, and 404s if you're not.

The only real pattern I see is that after you figure it out, it all kinda makes sense.

And I have no idea where 53 is going.

~D

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 05:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
#1 says deep? so?

[/ QUOTE ]

1 says deep. Change one.htm to deep.htm

then you get #2.

Continue like that. All lowercase, and there's a "hint" page that tells you the base rules. The hints can be anything, from hidden things in the graphic, to things in the html, to other images you find, to text files, excel files, psds, and everything.

Try things out and you'll get more red-letter hint pages if you're on the right track, and 404s if you're not.

The only real pattern I see is that after you figure it out, it all kinda makes sense.

And I have no idea where 53 is going.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
forget it, these are stupid
#4 is a mirror.
its dirty
blah blah blah
im not gonna sit there like a moron trying to guess what obscure fvcking answer theyre trying to make you type or play with tints and brightness or whatever
they can blow me

Duke
03-29-2005, 05:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

im still laughing

[/ QUOTE ]
at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he agrees that they're frustrating as hell and seem stupid at times. I thought 3 wasn't that bad. 2 was pretty gay, though. It's one of those that either jumps out at you or doesn't.

8 is pretty frustrating too, since you kinda need to get inside the heads of the people since the clues aren't obvious at all. At times I'll get on a roll and then get stuck on one, and looking at the credits page I see that some other guy wrote that puzzle, so I start developing a sense of how he thinks.

There are more really frustrating ones. But aside from 2, they all make a lot of sense after you figure it out. Even number 8, which is the first super-tough one (in my opinion).

I'm definitely stuck on 53 right now, and I'm at a loss for where to go next.

~D

beerbandit
03-29-2005, 05:23 PM
just reading your post, it is frustrating --- i do not think that i made it past #6 and i quit

it did make work go a little faster though

cheers

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 05:27 PM
explain #4 then
(this oughta be good)

Duke
03-29-2005, 05:33 PM
Well 4 was just a graphic puzzle. Gotta zoom way in and it says helpme in there.

It's easier to see if you invert the colors. Look around 450,95 in the image and you'll see the "help" upside down, consistent with the rest of the image. You'll need to invert it and play with the color levels to see the "me," but it's definitely there. Even if you just see help you might think to add the "me" since the hints and what not point to you saying something.

Yeah, if you don't like doing that sort of thing then you won't like them, since they're not pure thinking puzzles by any means. Different strokes, I guess. It's like halfway between a logic puzzle and a mystery to solve - the nature of the puzzle being more than half of the mystery.

~D

RocketManJames
03-29-2005, 05:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
deeper? that makes 0 sense
how do you get deeper as an answer?
#3 better make sense or im gonna be really angry

[/ QUOTE ]

It does have quite a few clues to get you to deeper.

From memory when I first did this one:

1) Nothing about music.
2) What's the title? Which leads you to read the title of the web page &lt;/title&gt;.
3) You think you're deep enough?

Maybe it's just me, but that pretty much points you to the answer.

-RMJ

pshreck
03-29-2005, 06:20 PM
As you progress in zest, you realize that they are not riddles at all, but slides with tons of information, implying tons of different "answers". When you go through all of it you eventually get what zest wants, but thats not a true riddle.

mostsmooth
03-29-2005, 07:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Well 4 was just a graphic puzzle. Gotta zoom way in and it says helpme in there.

It's easier to see if you invert the colors. Look around 450,95 in the image and you'll see the "help" upside down, consistent with the rest of the image. You'll need to invert it and play with the color levels to see the "me," but it's definitely there. Even if you just see help you might think to add the "me" since the hints and what not point to you saying something.

Yeah, if you don't like doing that sort of thing then you won't like them, since they're not pure thinking puzzles by any means. Different strokes, I guess. It's like halfway between a logic puzzle and a mystery to solve - the nature of the puzzle being more than half of the mystery.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
oops, my mistake, i was reading your reply and im like, wtf? two puzzles with same answer???
i wanted to know the answer for 5, the mirror
sorry

MtnDave
03-29-2005, 08:03 PM
Try this link (http://www.techinterview.org/index.html)

youtalkfunny
03-30-2005, 03:06 AM
Now that this thread has been dominated by that, um, "difficult riddle/puzzle", I hope this post doesn't get swallowed up.

Here's a fun series of puzzles. It takes a while to get your brain to "think" like the computer does, but I've always found these to be lots of fun. I don't remember where I heard about this link--probably here in OOT a long time ago:

Theseus and the Minator "maze" (http://www.logicmazes.com/theseus.html)