PDA

View Full Version : A better question: Yoda vs Gandalf

Eihli
03-29-2005, 12:28 PM
We're talking about Gandalf the White. I don't think anyone would dispute that Gandalf the Grey would get his ass kicked right here.

chaas4747
03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We're talking about Gandalf the White. I don't think anyone would dispute that Gandalf the Grey would get his ass kicked right here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tough call. Yoda with a sword, saber, etc. Gandalf with magical powers, I dont think anyone would argue that Yoda is not magical. Gandalf has more hair, and a bigger stick. I will go with Gandalf.

jakethebake
03-29-2005, 12:37 PM
A better question: When they meet on Friday nights, which one pitches and which one catches?

Jack of Arcades
03-29-2005, 03:17 PM
You interested for personal reasons, jake?

swede123
03-29-2005, 03:19 PM
Good matchup! I'd say Gandalf would ultimately win but it would be a hell of a fight.

Swede

dr_venkman
03-29-2005, 04:01 PM
Gandalf, obviously. He is the only one of the two that has shown an ability to come back from the spirit world. Yoda would die just once and that's it, an ex-jedi would he become.

Gandalf would just keep rising from the dead like a zombie.

jakethebake
03-29-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gandalf, obviously. He is the only one of the two that has shown an ability to come back from the spirit world. Yoda would die just once and that's it, an ex-jedi become would he.

Gandalf would just keep rising from the dead like a zombie.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

kerssens
03-29-2005, 04:07 PM
I refuse to see any of the Lord of the Rings movies but I'm gonna chime in anyways...Yoda because he's a quick little sucka.

dr_venkman
03-29-2005, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yoda would die just once and that's it, an ex-jedi become would he.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent...

(funny thing is, I actually said it that way in my mind when I was typing it)

cnfuzzd
03-29-2005, 06:56 PM
ugh, to reveal my dork-ness.

Gandalf, and all the wizards(istari), are essentially operating in the world of middle earth as slightly more than what we would call angels. They are not quite the gods of this world, but more helper spirits who have some really cool powers. (in the tolkien mythology this group of beings were called the maiar.) They are still pretty bad ass, and olorien (gandalf) was one of the more powerfull. Interesting to note, he was probably actually more powerfull than sauron (another maiar) himself, but given the restraints placed upon him by the valar (gods of middle earth) when sent to help the forces arrayed against sauron, he wasnt allowed to really do anything but encourage.

Yoda, while being pretty bad ass, is no where near divine-like. I think gandalf takes it down.

Also, did anyone else hate the movies' portrayal of gandalf the grey as some near-bumbling old man, taking all the strength and vitality out of him? I did.

Feel free to laugh.....now.

peace

john nickle

swede123
03-29-2005, 07:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, did anyone else hate the movies' portrayal of gandalf the grey as some near-bumbling old man, taking all the strength and vitality out of him? I did.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a fellow geek (albeit one less educated on the topic of Middle Earth) I appreciate your comments about Gandalf. However, I disagree with your comments re. Gandalf the Grey in the movie.

True, he doesn't get much chance to flex his coolness until the scenes in Moria (where he totally kicks ass by the way) but he's kind of a supporting character in that movie.

The early parts of the film pretty much reinforce what the hobbits think about Gandalf in the book (they know about his awesome fireworks, but that's about it).

Then, when Saruman beats him that too follows along with the book as Saruman clearly is more powerful at that point in the story.

Personally I really enjoyed how Gandalf and his power is just hinted at early in the story, as it makes for a much greater impact when he comes back as Gandalf the White.

Swede