PDA

View Full Version : punishing posters

schwza
03-29-2005, 11:35 AM
i love stealing from posters. do you make this play? in position i wouldn't have bothered posting it.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

CO ($100)
Button ($96.5)
Hero ($162.75)
BB ($136.5)
UTG ($93)
UTG+1 ($110.65)
UTG+2 ($101.95)
MP1 ($108.4)
MP2 ($58.5)
MP3 ($98)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif. CO posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $5</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, CO folds.

Final Pot: $7

soah
03-29-2005, 11:37 AM
If you had 93o you could call it a steal.

schwza
03-29-2005, 11:41 AM
so i take it you think this is an obvious raise?

Tilt
03-29-2005, 02:29 PM
I do that all the time. But now it gets done to me so often that I sometimes deliberately post in the CO when I am new to the table. With a good hand I reraise. I have isolated quite a few stealers with dominated hands this way.

pzhon
03-30-2005, 01:39 PM
I not only make that play, I may do the same with rags:

online NL
Hero (BB) has the table covered.
Villain 1 (MP2) has 100 BB and posts 1 BB.
Villain 2 (CO) has 100 BB and posts 1 BB.

Hero has 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif

Preflop:
folds, Villain 1 (poster) checks, fold, Villain 2 (poster) checks, folds, SB folds, Hero raises to 8 BB, Villain 1 folds, Villain 2 calls 7 BB.

Flop (17.5 BB): Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif
Hero checks, Villain 2 checks.

Turn (17.5 BB): K/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero bets 15 BB, Villain 2 calls 15 BB.

River (47.5 BB): 2/images/graemlins/club.gif
Hero moves in, Villain 2 calls 77 BB all-in.

Villain 2 has KTo, no heart.
Villain 2 leaves the table.
Villain 1 claims he folded T/images/graemlins/heart.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif. How much would I have lost if I had checked?

I've lucked out similarly in a pot-limit game when someone posted UTG, I attacked in MP3 with 84o, only the SB called with JJ, and the flop was T84m. I put in two pot-sized bets and checked the river.

These are semi-bluffs. No one has shown any strength, so there is a good chance everyone will fold. If you hit the flop hard, you might win a big pot, and no one expects you to have rags.

Of course, I make the same type of overbets from the blinds with premium hands.

JMBills
03-30-2005, 01:47 PM
With your flopped flush were you intending to show weakness and get calls on later streets? Isn't that a little risky with the chance of your opponent holding a single higher heart?

Would you sometimes bet out with this hand on that flop?

I'm guessing that was a classic good example of when to slowplay, so what I'm trying to ask is, what're the chances that you could get drawn out on that flop by the range of hands your opponent called PF with?

Just a little curious

soah
03-30-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so i take it you think this is an obvious raise?

[/ QUOTE ]

No. But I wouldn't call it stealing when you likely have the best hand.

pzhon
03-30-2005, 02:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With your flopped flush were you intending to show weakness and get calls on later streets? Isn't that a little risky with the chance of your opponent holding a single higher heart?

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think it is a good idea to slow-play baby flushes. I also play the nut flush draw and sets very aggressively on a monotone board. I hoped to check-raise and then, if called, push on a non-heart turn.

However, if my opponent has a high heart, he only has 7 outs, so it isn't as dangerous as it might appear at first.

[ QUOTE ]

Would you sometimes bet out with this hand on that flop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes. Sometimes I bet out, and sometimes I try to check-raise.