PDA

View Full Version : Here's one I hated

SGS
03-29-2005, 04:35 AM
I have A10o in LMP we'll say cutoff plus one. Blinds are at 15k/30k. I have roughly 390k. I open-raise to 90k. Only the BB who is the chip leader and has me covered calls. This is when there are roughly 17 left of the stars rebuy tourny.

FLOP- 7,4,3

He checks to me and I check behind.

Turn is a Q

He checks to me and I check behind.

River is a 7

He bets 120k into the 200k pot. I chickened out and folded. I think I had him beat, but really chickened out. I think this was because if I call this my stack becomes fairly small at only 170k with a 30k BB. I was really trying to protect my stack here. Maybe if I am going to play this weak folding PF is better when the chip leader is in the BB. Anyways thoughts on anything are appreciated.

SGS

CieloAzor
03-29-2005, 04:51 AM
Ugh. I think you had him beat too, but it's a tough call to make. I'd probably bet the flop at least 80% of the time. If I didn't do that, I'd probably bet the turn 50-60% of the time if he checked to me again. Still, I take your line once in a while. It's always a rough spot to be in when somebody makes a large bet and you suspect your nothing is better than their nothing.

ononimo
03-29-2005, 09:33 AM
I don't know about a blind steal w/ ATo (a hand that is very "hit or miss") against the one person at the table who can bust you, especially if you aren't committed to following through no matter what hits the flop.

once you decide to check behind on the flop AND the turn - you've raised the white flag and invited a bet on the river. you can't just call here and your folding equity on a reraise is questionable - folding is the right play at that point.

i agree with Cielo - I would have made a 1/2 or 2/3 pot sized bet on the flop or at least bet when the Q hit the turn and represented AQ.

woodguy
03-29-2005, 10:41 AM
After he has checked both the flop and the turn, you have to bet the turn.

Rarely will anyone with a hand check twice as usually they want to get paid or try to take the pot down with 2nd or 3rd pair ASAP.

If he raises you can easily get away, if he calls you have position and can fold to a river bet or check through if the river is checked to you.

Him betting the river with any two is a given after you checked twice.

You may also want to have your PF raise be 75K here as it accomplishes the same thing as 90K but can save you a precious BB or two down the strech.

Did you think of a regular continuation bet on the flop? Another nice byproduct of a smaller PF raise is that you don't have to bet nearly as much on the flop with your continuation bet.

Regards,
Woodguy