PDA

View Full Version : Play

EMcWilliams
03-29-2005, 02:26 AM
Just outta curiousity, do any of the higher skilled "pros" here still play poker on SnG's every now and then, or is it always just push or fold play to maximize winnings. It seems like most of you multi-table, and just either push or fold depending on the situation. Do you guys ever sit there and play one SnG for the entertainment that playing actual poker involves? Thanks

Apathy
03-29-2005, 02:29 AM
I always play optimally... ITS FUN!!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

lastchance
When you're playing with less than 20x BB, you really can't play poker. Don't try. Trust me on that one. But before L4 happens, you get to play tons of poker.

Pepsquad
[ QUOTE ]
Just outta curiousity, do any of the higher skilled "pros" here still play poker on SnG's every now and then, or is it always just push or fold play to maximize winnings. It seems like most of you multi-table, and just either push or fold depending on the situation. Do you guys ever sit there and play one SnG for the entertainment that playing actual poker involves? Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Good question. No.

Scuba Chuck
03-29-2005, 02:39 AM
I would play just one table if I were playing a STEP 5.

Scuba

EMcWilliams
03-29-2005, 10:54 AM
ok thanks...I was just wondering if you ever sat at just one table, analyzed as you would a live game...getting solid reads and such, but you do make a valid point about 20xBB and optimal play....winning is the best entertainment

jcm4ccc
03-29-2005, 11:00 AM
If you truly believe that SnGs are just push or fold and do not involve "actual poker", you are unlikely to be successful at playing them.

EMcWilliams
03-29-2005, 02:06 PM
From what I read here, it seems like every play just comes down to pushing or folding for the most part. You know, play tight on L1-L3 and then get aggresive and either push or fold beyond that. Isnt that right? Or am I missing something (most likely)

BradleyT
03-29-2005, 02:48 PM
Depends on your stack size in relation to the blinds.

A few reasons why pushing is good:

1) You get to see all 5 board cards
2) There's a chance others will fold and you pick up the blinds and any limper's money
3) Your hand is usually a 60:40 dog at worse, blinds/antes usually make up for this
4) Other people fold on the bubble more often than is good for their health
5) A post flop bet wouldn't be large enough to force even bad draws out of the pot
6) It's always much better to be the person betting all in rather than calling an all in bet

I'm sure others can elaborate a bit more.