PDA

View Full Version : 15-30 Kill. Raise Pocket 3s - Chicken Out on Turn?

Penguin
10-16-2002, 11:35 AM
It's a 15-30 kill pot. I am in cutoff. Killer is in SB. He is loose, aggressive. I am tight, and appearing very tight since I haven't got many cards to play in previous few hours. Comments on all streets appreciated. (The turn is the play that is bothering me.)

Folded to me - I have pocket 3s and raise:
- Relatively low chance that poster will fold, but I figure that I am enough better than his random hand to make this worthwhile?

Folded to SB who reraises. BB folds, I call.
SB would reraise with many hands in this situation - QJ etc.

Flop - 10 10 7, with 2 diamonds.

SB bets, I raise, SB calls. I raised because:
- I think there is a decent chance I have the best hand.
- I have been very tight, and I figure that my raise will look scary to him. (And I want to play!). I do not often play this aggressively, and small blind would know that.

The turn is a Jd, for a board of 10, 10, 7, J with 3d.

SB thinks for a while and checks. I quickly check. In retrospect, I think I should have bet after such a pause on the SB's part. He is aggressive and the check probably means he has very little (although he does check raise). At the time I just wanted to get to the river, and did not like the idea of deciding whether to call a checkraise.

River is something like a black 5.

SB bets, I call. After my check on the turn, SB is almost an auto bet, so I figure I have a call.

Results later.
Thanks for any comments!

10-16-2002, 11:43 AM
Do you have a flush draw?
Will SB raise with one, but not bet it?

I think the play is to check if you have a draw, and bet if you don't. By betting, he will fold 2 off-suit overcards to your pair, which aren't overcards to the board. A9 for example.

If he would have bet a single diamond, but not check-raised it, you might fold to a raise.

If the end is an autobluff if you check, then checking may be best if he will never fold a better hand. The pot is not that large.

Penguin
10-16-2002, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the response Dan:

I don't know if I had the flush draw. Judging by other posts on this forum, that is an important factor, but I neglect it when my cards are so low. Obviously something I need to appreciate more.

SB will often bet the flush draw, and will sometimes raise with it.

Pot-A
10-16-2002, 12:35 PM
When I'm up against a loose agressive I never raise with 33. The whole advantage to being up against this type of player comes from the fact that you're more likely to flop the best hand. In this case you're 7.5:1 against flopping the set (heads up), and with this kind of player you won't have any idea whether or not you're beat on the flop if you don't hit your 3.

That said, I would have bet the turn unless he's capable of check-raising with nothing, then lay it down if he raises. I think you end up paying the same price to show down if doesn't. A bet on the river is a no-no unless a three falls.

Penguin
10-16-2002, 12:59 PM
I called SB's river bet with 33 on a board of
10d 10s 7d Jd 5c.

SB had AK (no diamonds), so I won.