PDA

View Full Version : TPTK situation

Saddlepoint
03-29-2005, 12:16 AM
First, here's the way the hand played:

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($41.25)
BB ($6.90)
UTG ($10.05)
UTG+1 ($31.45)
Hero ($24.80)
MP2 ($10.10)
CO ($25)
Button ($14.75)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif. CO posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $0.25, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $1</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $1, SB calls $0.90, BB calls $0.75, UTG+1 calls $0.75.

Flop: ($5.25) 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3.5</font>, Button folds, SB calls $3.50, BB folds, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($12.25) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>

Now, there are some concepts in this hand that I don't fully grasp.

Had there not been a flush draw, I would have tried to keep the pot small, assuming way-ahead-or-way-behind. But with the flush draw, I didn't see how I could profitably give a free card away.

I showed the hand to a poker buddy whose opinion I respect, and he felt that it's good to check behind here. He said, "You'd rather not become pot committed with TPTK, and this is way too big of a pot for such a so-so hand," adding, "If you know he'll call with diamonds no matter what, you'd rather be able to fold then have to call if a diamond hits."

Usually I don't slow down (except in the face of apparent strength) with a hand like TPTK, or an overpair for that matter, when an obvious draw is on the board. I'm beginning to think is a leak, but it still leaves me unsure of how to play hands such as the above.

What's the optimal move? Why? What range of hands do we put the SB on?

steaknshake925
03-29-2005, 12:31 AM
bet the turn, u really cant give a free card here.

at these limits pot control is less important than charging draws and getting calls from hands like Q7, K 10 etc. You'll get trapped sometimes but theres no avoiding that.

if the board was Q 7 2 2 rainbow i'd consider checkin, but probly still bet.

tworooks
03-29-2005, 12:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"If you know he'll call with diamonds no matter what, you'd rather be able to fold then have to call if a diamond hits."

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this would be the best strategy. Would be very susceptible to a bluff. I bet $4.50 on the flop. At these limits, I think KJ, QJ, even Q8 or A10 or obviously two diamonds, is possible. you have to bet this for value.

xorbie
03-29-2005, 12:49 AM
You absolutely have to bet the turn here. Otherwise ay OESD or flush draw was given pot odds on the flop, they're making money even if you don't call a river bet. That's no good.

I'd bet out about 8 here.